Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing 5 Weeks Pain<

Personally, if it was me, I would certainly get a second opinion of whether I would benefit from starting it. I did that and both doctors agree it would help me. It still took me a year or so to decide to go ahead with it. It was not a sudden decision. There is no rush to decide. The fact that you had good Dexa scans and your bones loook good make me wonder why he thinks it would have helped. What is there to improve?

It stays in the body for a very long time, years. I took it probably around 15 years ago and had no issues with it. I had definite osteopenia then. And my bone density did go up after the treatment. But my mother had osteoporosis in her neck with the classic hump so I had a family history of issues. Also I was very slim and of Scandinavian descent. Also indicators for future problems.
 
If it were me, I would not take the Fosamax.
You said your scan was good and your bones strong. Again, if it was my situation, I'd research diet and natural supplements. I think it's awful your OS is guilting you into thinking it's your fault. Don't be upset. Get online and research, educate and arm yourself. You can do it. I believe once you dive in, and now is the perfect time, you'll be encouraged and won't look back.
@wendys
 
When I returned to him with the fracture, he told me if I had taken the Fosamax as directed I wouldn’t have had a fracture! So felt like this whole hip fracture was my fault for not following his directions!
Oh don't they just love to wrong foot a person for not slavishly following their directions! Have you ever read this? Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to? (That can also read 'saying no to treatment"!)
 
I am beyond overwhelmed with such a sudden lack of confidence in what to do. Do I do the exercises he told me to do, do I take a drug I don’t want to? How do I know I’m not being irrational? He knows his specialty and has lots of great success. I can’t stop thinking that I’m overthinking!
 
Wendy, I had surgery with Dr. Gross as well a few years back. I would listen to him and Lee Web as they have over 6000 hip resurfacings. They have seen it all.

Just curious you were not on the slow path recovery, you were allowed full weight bearing, correct?

Very odd you suffered a fracture under the femoral component. Did you take a fall or something?

Good luck feel free to reach out to me.

Larry
 
Hi Larry. I was on full weight bearing. My Dexa was perfect. I did not take a fall. I just did not take the Fosamax. Dr Gross seemed upset with me that I had not taken it. I told him after years working in Radiation/Oncology I had seen way too many cancers thought to be caused by this medication. He said I likely wouldn’t have had the fracture if I had taken it. He did an amazing repair of fracture in my under femoral component. I’m not feeling the greatest, in fact this is the worst experience I’ve ever had personally. I really struggled with whether to take that medication this time but felt that I should follow his orders! Now I did take it (1 week mark) and just read more about it and it says to wait until two weeks otherwise will cause the bones to not grow back together. I’m so conflicted and dismayed....also disappointed in myself. Webdy
 
Did your left hip show low bone density on the dexa scan. I was not required to take Fosomax, my Dexa was in the range. Maybe he put you on it as you were going to have the left done and it scored low on the Dexa scan.

I only had the right done but my left hip was on the lower side of the dexa scan. I am right dominant.

I am glad he put you back together but something seems odd. Did you get a copy of your surgery report, was there any abnormalities noted.

good luck

Larry
 
Wendy, I can tell you're conflicted and my heart goes out to you in that. It's an awful feeling to wonder if what you're doing can cause more harm than good. I'm only suggesting this because you've asked for prayer before. Please pray about it, that's what I'd do and I'll even join you from afar. Pray for a clear unavoidable sign as to how you should proceed, then be at peace with your decision when you finally make one. :prayer: :console2:
@wendys
 
Hi Larry. No abnormalities and my Dexa was good on both sides. I think he changes things up in his plans based on research he does. I’m also 56 and post menopausal so maybe that’s his reason. My op report did not state any abnormalities just the fracture. I do understand that femoral fractures are a known risk for this type of surgery and often occur early in recovery process. I was walking a lot and went back to a sedentary job after two weeks. I wish I knew why this happened but I think it’s time for me to move on....heal and hopefully recover fully from this experience. It’s drained me of my spirit which is a very full of life and fun loving one normally!
 
Wendy, is there any chance you have a GP you can call and consult with? I have a friend who has major back pain from a car accident years ago ... and when she goes to a specialist and gets a recommendation, she always runs that recommendation by her GP, whom she has worked with for decades.

My friend's GP can see the larger picture of her health ... and honestly, my buddy just trusts her! Interestingly enough, recently the gp supported several recommendations from the specialist that my buddy wasn't sure about. You can share your worries about the medication with your gp and see what they. This is probably only helpful if you have a primary doctor you really like and whose judgment you trust.

So sorry to hear of your agony. Don't be afraid to tell a doctor (or doctor's staff) you want to consult with that the matter is urgent.
 
Hi @Going4fun I don’t really believe in my PCP that greatly. I do work for very smart Nephrology doctors and I spoke to one just a day ago about the Fosamax and how I worried I caused my fracture. He assured me that a hip fracture is a well known risk to hip arthroplasty surgery and that after researching he felt it was safe to either take or not take the Fosamax at this point. I decided to take it just to cooperate with Dr Gross. I am trying to mentally move forward and recover. I do the exercises twice a day and barely walk except around the house a little with limited weight on my leg. My incision is good and healing nicely. Time...prayer and more time! I am so grateful for this support and encouragement I have found here!!!! Wendy
 
@Josephine

I think it means just under the rod that’s inserted into the femur. I am beyond blessed with the 2 pages of advice and encouragement. I would be lost without all of this feedback and support. I was blindsided by the fracture and wasn’t prepared for a second surgery so soon. I’m still coming to terms with it. My Heart is so grateful for everyone’s concern and advice. I am going to tread slowly through the next couple of weeks before going back to my office job and when I see Dr Gross on July 30th it will be my six week f/u and I will be armed and ready with loads of questions! Thank you for everything!!! Wendys
 
Try not to worry and think positively.
Stress is horrid for our immune systems, as you well know.
Healing hugsXxx
 
Good morning @wendys It sounds like you have wise counsel around you. I don’t have any arthritis or osteoporosis and still got a fracture that didn’t heal on it’s on. I spent months trying to figure out what I did wrong and why it didn’t heal. I think asking why is just part of the process when you’ve had a set back. I just turned 58 so close to your age. The only thing they found was low Vitamin D. I don’t know anything about the drug you were advised to take, but it sounds like you have faith in your surgeon.

My femur had three long holes from the screws they used for fracture. They were filled in with bone graft. Amazingly the last xray at 11 weeks I could no longer see the holes. Assuming they used bone graft for you too. I am praying for you. Sending ❤️ this morning.
 
Last edited:
:wave: @wendys I just read your thread and I am sorry to read of your ongoing pain and suffering ... things do get better with time.

I want to put in my two penneth regarding Fosamax. I unfortunately took it for five months last year between two of my surgeries and never again. I subsequently discovered dental problems with teeth breaking off and discolouring. The Dentist would not touch me to remove roots until I had been off the drug for six months. I have had to have a special blood test to see how my bones reabsorb and I am waiting for those results. This is not to say everyone would develop this problem ... but I did! I do have Osteoporosis.

The walker is not fun, I was on no weight bearing.

Please take care, rest and have a peaceful Sunday.

Izabel xx

[Bonesmart.org] 5 Weeks Pain<

.
 
My femur had three long holes from the screws they used for fracture. They were filled in with bone graft. Amazingly the last xray at 11 weeks I could no longer see the holes.
Yes there is no doubt about it - bone is an amazing substance. Did you know it's the only tissue in the body that can heal without leaving a scar?
 
@Fit4Family ans @Izabel - Thank you! This is exactly what I needed this morning!!! Fit4Family I don’t think they did a bone graft...it’s not noted in op report. I’m sure you didn’t do anything to cause the fracture not healing. Our bodies are amazing and also complicated! I am taking it one day at a time. I too had very low Vitamin D which I am now supplementing with. I’m pretty sure that’s likely why he prescribed Fosamax even though I don’t have Osteoporosis.

Izabel- I am so sorry that you had those side effects but believe me...after reading this I think I’m going to discontinue the medication. I’ve only taken it once and am having serious intestinal pressure, gas and nausea. I think I needed to hear this. Did you have the second surgery? And yeah the walker is causing big time pain in my arms just from walking hardly at all around the house. I can’t imagine when I go back to office in two weeks how I’m going to deal with the arm and shoulder pain?

Thank you both of you for your kind words...just what I needed today! I have a houseful of family coming in for a week and am hoping the distraction of my 1 year old grandson will take my mind off of this pain and recovery! God bless! Wendys
 
Good Morning,
I'm happy to hear you will have a household of family visiting. I'll bet it will be a heartwarming distraction and you'll feel the love, hopefully lightening your pain. Have fun creating new memories with those you hold dear.
Hugs and wishes for your comfort :loveshwr:
@wendys
 
Back
Top Bottom