Guest viewing is limited

THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stamina comes back gradually in time, I am happy to hear you are recovering pain free!
 
Been reading a lot on posts about setbacks (it will be 4 weeks Friday for me) and trying to do too much too soon. I am finding myself tempted to walk too fast with crutches (regardless of whether I'm trying to make the bus or not). The muscle that hurts the most is the adductor, and it's just from being stretched out. I see my OS a week from tomorrow for my follow-up and I'm finding I'm itching bad to get off crutches, or at least be on one. I sooo want to get back to my yoga, at least a modified version; I'm hoping he says it's okay. I am wanting to be down on my mat and doing some ab work, plank, etc. I also am trying to take a couple steps sans crutches, but also remind myself I NEED to be a good patient, that I can't afford (literally!) a setback and be out of work past the end of Feb. Reading what others have said about remembering where I was at right before surgery (which was literally nothing except walking/limping while working). I am learning to be patient. I, like all (most) of us, have been given a pain-free new chapter in life and I am eager to make the most of it. Trying to be smart physically, but simultaneously I need to not be paralyzed by fear. I don't know what my OS will take me down to, either one crutch, or just a cane, or maybe even nothing at all (he's one of those very smart and progressive types) but I'm sure there will be some fear involved. Reminding myself that courage is not the absence of fear, but feeling the fear and doing it anyway... or something like that. (need to apply that to calling to make payment arrangements on medical bills as I've been sooo avoiding that...not good). Today is a trapped inside day as it snowed a few inches this morning and not everyone has shoveled their part of the sidewalk. Bummed as I was planning to go to a graduate school (possibly counseling or a MSW) open house this evening, which would involve walking to the bus stop (2/3 block away).

I've been doing a lot of walking and standing PT exercises; they all have become so easy, incl side lifts, but really haven't done any of the lying down ones. Was lying down to stretch the hip flexors yesterday and decided to do the side leg lifts. No pain, but def need to do more of those as I found whatever muscle(s) one uses to do that exercise are very weak. Doing even 10 was a chore. Did it again this morning, not as bad, but need to be consistent and do those as they work different muscles than anything else I've been doing.

I forget who on here has posted this to me (and probably others too!), but I keep hearing in my head, Patience grasshopper..." Whomever you are, thank you.

Oh, and one final thing...t-minus 4 days and counting to my first post-op glass of wine! It will taste sooo good! :dancy:
 
Ha, that was me! Now, if I could only take my own advice-- I had a setback and trust me, overdoing it is not worth it either physically or emotionally. Princess, I am super impressed that you have held off on the wine front for a month.. one glass a day has been an important part of my recovery. And its good for the heart, right? Bottoms up, Vicki.
 
Def will be bottoms up. Have half a bottle of Merlot in the pantry, and several of those "mini-bottles" (the ones you get in the 4 or 6 pack!) of Chardonnay just sitting in the fridge, tempting me every time I opened the door! I've held off as I've been on blood thinners since surgery, and all my printed info says no alcohol....could really have used some last week to take the edge off the emotions. At least I had my dark chocolate... :)
 
Absolutely, you did the right thing. I didn't drink at all when on blood thinners. And I keep off the wine when I'm especially blue because it can make us feel even worse!

Edited to add: have you tried dark chocolate with salt? OMG -- its a pick-me-up in a mouthful. Most chocolate shops sell them individually. I am so addicted that Mr.Vida buys the big, cheap blocks of Belgian chocolate from Walmart, melts it down, mixes it with cream, refrigerates it and makes a bar of salted chocolate, which he then cuts into bits. We allow ourselves one square a day! Yum.
 
Call me strange, but I feel like an odd one out right now.

Four weeks today (wow how time flies) and I really want to get rid of at least one crutch as it's more a hassle than anything. I tend to use only one crutch around the house anyway. it's been 3 1/2 weeks since the oxy battle and I don't even know where my tylenol bottle is since it's been so long since i took even one. Walking lots, doing more "advanced" PT. I'm wondering what 'angry tissue' stage means because it doesn't feel as if my tissues are angry. They're just being stretched out and pushed a bit, but I'm used to hard workouts, not having worked out in awhile and muscles get used that haven't been, so that's not an issue. Am I just one of the blessed ones who had the combo of being in good shape, an excellent surgeon, and lots of prayer? I know everyone is different on the inside, muscles heal different, etc. I'm itching to do more, and hoping when I see my OS next week, he says I can. I know muscle strength will be the last, so my favorite yoga poses will have to wait for a bit, or at least modified. I've tried some, being careful of course with balance, etc. Torn between mentally (and perhaps physically) wanting to do more and having to wait. I know... 4 weeks out after major surgery is still early; much healing will happen in the months ahead.
 
Sounds great, well done. But at the same time, you shouldn't push it too much. Everyone recovers differently-- there are a lot of factors at play, it is not worth comparing yourself to anyone else. So, good for you!
 
CatPrincess, you've made it to 4 weeks! :yay:

Have you sat down and made your list of things you can do since surgery? That can give you a pretty big emotional rush!

As ready as you think you are to ditch the crutch(es) don't be surprised how challenged you'll probably be with the transition to one and then to the cane. It will also contribute to some fatigue because you'll be activating more muscles in the process. You are doing great for 4 weeks. I think you're walking more than me now at 9.5 weeks. Do what feels good and let your hip make the decisions not your head!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
Cat Princess what a great 4 week update. Just be careful not to go too fast and too hard just 'cause you're feeling so good and exercise makes you feel even better. Don't want a set back for sure. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
 
Hi CP you are not 4 weeks until Monday by your signature.. Slow and steady is the name of the game right now..

Your new hip is a gift for the rest of your life.. No point in trying to hurry your recovery in these early weeks. You have had major complex surgery... Take a deep breathe and think about what the surgeon did whilst you were snoozing on the OR table and how long it takes for the body to recover from this type of assault and trauma... even the flu can take months to recover from..

Be gentle with yourself right now, it will pay dividends in a few months time:)
 
My dear Poppet I am 4 weeks, just not an "official" month, and yes that will be Monday. My surgery was on a Friday, so I count Friday to Friday, 4 weeks being yesterday. That all being said, yes, I know not to hurry. I have read enough posts of setbacks done by folks pushing it too much too fast. Evidence enough to me is that it took me about 1 hour to walk 1.25 miles (pre-surgery was about 3.5 to 4 mph), and my arms were dying and I was tired. Tonight will be soup, goldfish (the cheese kind not the swimming kind), and my first glass of wine in 37 days, since I am now officially off blood thinners, That first sip of merlot tasted heavenly! :happydance: Add to that ice and elevation as preventative measures. I will know for sure what things look like on the inside, as I go for my first follow-up with my OS this Thursday. I will only do what he says is safe to do, and not push myself beyond it. I financially and otherwise can't be off past the end of Feb., so if the endurance/stamina and muscle strength takes longer, than so be it.
 
*sigh*
Feeling frustrated and out of control and this journey is feeling longer than I'd like. I went out socially today, feeling that that I was supposed to, rather than just sit on the couch. Now my hip is telling me to rest. Not pain, just the, I can't sit for long without groin pain kicking in cuz of the leg length discrepancy thing (is this forever?) . It's as if I'm trying to get back to normal sooner than I'm meant to and that's what I'm struggling against. Slogging thru the mud when I'm supposed to stay inside til spring. There's a message in the air that's says slow down and I'm not listening to it. Part of me feels, like okay, I "feel" fine, so I need/should be out there doing, functioning normally except for work and driving. To just sit and read and knit and write isn't enough. Spirit rest. Brain rest. Body rest. Why can't I listen and just idle, or even just completely turn off the engine? These past 5 weeks off have been a chance for me to just be, and all I seem to do, is do.

The word expectations comes up. It's as if there's another message, an external expectation to go back to how things were and I can't. It's as if something in me deep has shifted, and my body hasn't gotten the message. My heart and head know i'm supposed to rest, (future me) but my body (present me) hasn't gotten the message. Neither have my cats, who are fighting more and I have to break them up by either throwing a crutch at them and then retrieving my shy cat from behindthe stove, having to squat down to get him (something not comfortable and probably not safe to do just yet, as I feel it now) :gaah: (i have to do this or he'll meow all night and then there's no rest)

I know it's totally off hip/surgery stuff, but this whole experience of surgery, recovery, being on crutches, watching people's reactions (which isn't always nice and helpful) has provoked a lot of thought, stirred a lot inside. Reality and expectations are very much in conflict right now. I'd love to hear thoughts, someone, anyone who has experienced deep thoughts, a profound shift internally? :sigh: :sigh:
 
Oh dear, sounds like the blues have hit. It may not be surgery stuff but it is recovery stuff - if we could only reprogram our brains to really accept that healing takes time. I also hate the out of control bit - if someone's reactions to me on crutches is not sympathatic I'm tempted to "slip" and whack their ankles, apologising profusely of course while sniggering inside!
Stress is bad, the cats pick up on it and get naughty because their human is stressed and make it worse. I hope you felt better after getting all off your chest - we are all sending you hugs and support!
Anne
 
Hello cp :) As Poppet says, this is a gift for life and in the beginning we have to nurture it and as much as we want to progress sooo much quicker than we are doing there is simply nothing we can do to hurry this thing along. It does take a lot of patience, especially if you are a very active type but try to remember how you were pre op...no way do you want go back to that again.

You still have a good few weeks until you must return to work. We can feel as if we are not improving at all one week then comes the next week and we are amazed at how great we feel, this recovery business has our heads spinning most of the time as we do not know how we are going to be from one week to the next. All I can say is take advantage of the fact that you must not overdo it...try not to feel upset that you are not doing as much as you would like to......you will have all the time in the world to do everything you want......you just have to be patient for a little while longer then the world is your oyster

Onwards and upwards........you will get there in the end

Take care

Ann
 
If the following wasn't evidence that I've been overdoing things, I don't know what is.

Went to bed about 10:15 last night, and except for being up the few minutes this morning to feed the kitties, I slept til almost noon. Funny I didn't feel so tired when I went to bed, but the fact that I was acting out on the kitties, and just edgy overall, and the long sleep is good evidence. A rollercoaster this recovery is for sure. I don't want to go back to work 1 March and be feeling the way I did when I went out on 15 December. That would suck. Ann, I love your words, you will have all the time in the world to do everything you want......you just have to be patient for a little while longer then the world is your oyster. I was going to go to a free museum day today (regular $25), but then I said to myself, "it's a museum, lots of walking around, what's the point of free if I am doing it on crutches?" Wouldn't be much fun, free or not, and it's a museum I've been waiting to go to. I will enjoy it all much more when I am stronger and healthier. I keep thinking and writing about getting back to meditation; it's high time I did. I agree, I'm sure "the boys" are picking up on my inner stress, that's what's setting them off.

So today, and until I see my OS on Thursday, it will b a day of putting up my feet, knitting, reading, sleeping, icing, and perhaps a movie or 2. I haven't gone out and rode 10 miles like some, but I did overdo it a bit. I am a person who has a hard time being inside when it's nice out, so I'm not surprised this happened. But in 58 days it will "officially" be spring and hopefully months of really nice weather. I will rest now, in the depth of winter, so I can truly enjoy spring and summer.
 
CatPrincess I read this:

I know it's totally off hip/surgery stuff, but this whole experience of surgery, recovery, being on crutches, watching people's reactions (which isn't always nice and helpful) has provoked a lot of thought, stirred a lot inside. Reality and expectations are very much in conflict right now. I'd love to hear thoughts, someone, anyone who has experienced deep thoughts, a profound shift internally? :sigh: :sigh:[/quote]

earlier this morning and it made me want to cry, in fact I did have a lttle cry, because this is the first time I have heard of anyone experiencing these sort of feelings - I thought it was just me! For me, it started as soon as I found out that a hip replacement was on the cards, that was in June 2012. Whilst it's not something anyone wants to hear, I felt that my reaction was completely over the top. I tried to manage these feelings but found that, as time went on, for from coming to terms with the idea, I was coping less and less well. At the same time the pain from the hip was getting much worse and I felt trapped between not being able to go through with the surgery and not wanting to live with constant pain. At that point I asked my GP to arrange for some counselling and began seeing someone for an hour every fortnight. And, slowly, slowly with a lot of hard work the process of coming to terms began. It's a process which is still going on but coming through the surgery, both mentally and physically, and discovering this forum just one week before my surgery have made a massive difference. There is the whole process of recovery to work through yet but for me at this stage, 10 days post op, all my energy is being directed at the physical healing - not by me but by my body. I feel this whole experience has challenged the very core of me and would like to share any thoughts on this - even if it is off hip/surgery.

UK Diane xxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
Truly, UK Diane, our feelings have a lot to do with our surgeries. They effect how we deal with the things that must be done pre op, how we view the surgery itself, and how we approach the long recovery ahead of us after surgery. The more negative they are, the more difficult everything in our life is. The more positive, the better everything is. And, there is no escaping them---they follow us everywhere---making us feel bad or helping us feel better. So we need to talk about them because they are a very large part of what's happening to us. And the sooner we are able to work through the negative and to move to the positive side, the sooner we really begin to recover.

And in the midst of dealing with our own feelings and emotions, we are impacted by the feelings and emotions of those in our most immediate circle, many who simply do not understand what we are going through, thus making things even more difficult. And so we "hippies" and "kneesies" just have to stick together and support and encourage one another because we do understand and because together [Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know... .
 
I truly did underestimate the power of emotions in all this. I was very prepared emotionally for the surgery, positive thoughts, visualizing myself healed, though right before I did have some challenges, and about 3 weeks before I had a potential "romantic encounter" with someone (why now, huh?) that would have to wait until long after surgery and after recovery (don't ask why, it just does). A lifetime partnership is something I have long desired and of course a "strong candidate" shows up 3 weeks before major surgery? Someone I was not looking towards at all and ended up having a strong connection with in a very brief amount of time. Anyway, going into surgery I went in strong, prepared emotionally, physically, spiritually. When I came home afterwards, and had everything happen that has, especially the strong stirring of emotions, the whys, the what am I supposed to, wanting to get out of this, slowing myself down, resting, etc., it's been a huge challenge. The physical has been relatively easy; it's the emotional that has kicked my butt. SO much has stirred in me that I have no control over, that I want to "handle" in a healthy way, not dismiss it, because I won't have a second chance to do that; I feel the need to handle this in the moment, in this season they are happening. I believe they are happening for a reason and I can't ignore it. I have had an inkling multiple times to call my employer's EAP office and set up an appointment with the counselor I have worked with in the past. She and I have worked well together in the past, and even though it takes a bus, 2 subways and another bus to get to her, she is sooo worth it. Since today's a holiday, I will call in the morning and try to schedule a time with her as soon as possible. I think we get 3 visits for "free" and she is on my insurance, so we could continue if needed.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
I think this is a very smart move on your part. I wish you all the success in the world with this.
 
Hi CatPrincess, I've had the same thing: physically not so much pain but an emotional rollercoaster! I'm a busy never-sit-still type suddenly taken out by hip surgery, complications which have meant I'm now 9 weeks out and still not 100% weight-bearing. It's been an enormous challenge! I'm unable to go back to work until April, still learning to walk, on crutches for at least 3 more weeks. Physically I'm doing everything great - ie. not much, which is a big challenge for me. Not overdoing it, building up strength very gradually. But emotionally I'm all over the place. Some days I'm handling it in a Zen-like way, other days it's complete emotional meltdown. Like today :boohoo: I feel so helpless and dependent on others, have no family around me and am really feeling that now. Everyone else on this forum is talking about exercises and progress and I'm not allowed to do ANY PT yet. I still can't even carry a cup of coffee.

I had all sorts of plans what I would do during recovery, am shocked how wiped out I've been and how little initiative I've been able to muster. It's also not helping that there's so much ice and snow here in the Netherlands (where I live) that I am completely unable to venture outside on my crutches. Or wheelchair.
I have the feeling that I'm learning an incredibly important life-lesson due to this new hip, just not sure what it is yet? :umm:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom