THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cat, There is still swelling and scarring around where they operated so it can feel like something inside. Alost of the folks here massage it and some use some oils and ligaments.
 
Found something very interesting today. Nurse took off the dressings today ( I didn't know they went in with a scope first...interesting!) Had thought my OS was doing minimally invasive THR; turns out my incision is about 9"...def not what I thought minimally invasive was. It seems more that he ended up doing a traditional one. I wonder what he found what he went in to look that said MIS was not possible. Yet I didn't have the post-op pain, etc., that I've read is part of having traditional surgery. And I was home within 2 days! Did I just get a really savvy surgeon who was able to minimize muscle damage, while still having to use a larger incision?
Questions to keep on file to ask when I see him in January for follow up.
Anyone else with this experience? It's more out of curiosity than concern...good thing I'm not a bikini girl though! :wink:
 
My dear sweet surgeon told me it was scar tissue & would soften with time. I bought one of those gel cushions to sit on as I was so uncomfortable. And in te long run, he was right. For the most part, I no longer notice my butt unless I have overdone it during the day. Never thought of massage, wish I had.
 
I had bad groin pain before surgery and immediately after still noticed having some. It is letting up a little more each day and I think it just takes time. My biggest complaint is my right knee (same side as my THR). It has been really hurting the last few days. I don't know if it's the cold weather, or overdoing it. I have stayed down most of today and just took some pain med. I think we have just been through so much and it takes time for our poor bodies to bounce back. I know I need to learn more patience. Hang in there.
 
CatPrincess - I said the same thing after my surgery. I felt the incision was much larger than 4" but it does look smaller now that the swelling has resided. Yours probably will some too. My OS told my hubbie that I had a lot of crumbling in there and definately some trauma. I thought he may have had to get in a little better for that reason. I think the incision probably measures about 5 or 6" now but at first I thought it was more like 10". Give it a little time. Deb
 
Doing a lot of resting today. Last night was new pain - hamstring just above the knee...couldn't even lie flat with leg extended. Whether this is normal or overuse from doing one too many laps around the house, I am resting today, reading, journaling, maybe knitting; in general doing whatever I feel like and when.

I felt the urge to write because right now I am feeling so very blessed by the support I have had around me from neighbors and church people. I had my coumadin refill to pickup (i'd just run out) and cat food (gotta keep them happy!) to get, but was very leery of going out since we had snow over the weekend and it hasn't been above freezing since. I posted on our church bulletin board last night that I needed help, and a new mom on her first day alone with the new baby offered to go get the prescription, and the cat food for me. She wouldn't even accept reimbursement for what she'd paid out. Her husband will even pickup some breakfast food for me on his way home from work later today. I am not crying as I write this, but feel overwhelmed with emotion, and keep shaking my head. I sense this is part of the healing I am supposed to be going through. It's not just the physical of the hip, but it's the healing of a heart that has always been the one giving unconditionally in many ways and not receiving in turn. No one who has run errands for me in this has asked or taken anything in return. The love of God through Christ Jesus? Quite possibly. The diminishing of my strong masculine doing side and allowing the feminine side to come forth, flourish and become much more evident in my "aura". Again, a distinct possibility. I am learning to receive unconditionally. It's a slow process as it's taken 48 years to get this way, but I am learning and not feeling at all guilty. Just appreciating and taking in all the love shown me, slowly but surely. :SUNsmile:
 
CP - so glad you are getting that wonderful help. Yes it's sometimes very hard to give into needing help. But there are so many who want to help.

Regarding the hamstring issue - I had the same issue and started doing hamstring stretches very early in my recovery. You do them sitting in a chair. Just raise your lower leg level with the seat of the chair (or as near as you can get) and slowly pull your toes toward your body. Start with very easy stretches as things may be very tight at first. Then work from there. I still do these several times per day as I have a desk job.
 
CatPrincess, so glad to hear there is such an outpouring of support for you in your time of need. Yes, you are truly blessed.

But, I'm sorry to hear about your hammy acting up. I tried to go back and figure out which walking aid you are currently using and couldn't find anything. Anywho, you've got to keep in mind that things are more in alignment since surgery, so those muscles are fighting the change a bit. Not to worry as it should get better everyday. If you find something that makes it feel worse then try not to do that motion until it eases if you can. Obviously if i's walking that's doing it then slow down a bit and maybe not do quite as much. Patience, grasshopper!
 
What a wonderful post. Glad to hear that you have such support. It is a blessing from God. Deb
 
Dede, I am full weight bearing on crutches. I am thinking that perhaps the hamstrings were tight because yesterday I did more sitting with my leg bent vs. extended, and when I went to bed, they must have been super tight and rebelled. As well, now that I'm almost 2 weeks post op, things are starting to "settle into place" musclewise I bet. Did a lot more lying down today and sitting up with leg elevated and fully extended. I took 1000 mg tylenol a couple hrs ago; will try some more b4 i go to bed. Good news is that the incision around where they put the scope in is itchy (yay!) which means the rest won't be horribly far behind.
 
CatPrincess, I think once you start transitioning to one crutch or a cane some of that hamstring inflammation will probably start to resolve itself. Prior to surgery I was on crutches for about a month and my OS said that the loss in strength in the quad muscle caused the compensation in the hammy which created some tendonitis there. Once I got off the crutches and started using the quad more the knee/hamstring did start to feel better again. You're probably going to start the transition shortly with your PT so it will start to work itself out. In the short term the tylenol with your pain meds should help.

For two weeks, you're doing great. Keep us posted on your progress!
 
Today it's one of those mornings. Yesterday was stamina at 8; today a 5. And I rested. Uncomfortable tho not painful sleep. I am a right side sleeper and my mind wants to take my body there but I haven't gone there as that's my operatied leg. Side sleepers, when did u turn on your operated leg?
As well can't seem to get rid of this low back groin sometimes down the leg pain. Not constant but like a bad ex goes away and comes back. Pain at about a 3. Ice and tylenol, lying on my back help for a bit but then I have to get up. I've been reaching for stuff on my own; maybe overdone it? Back to using reacher today. Is this just impatience or something I need to b concerned about?
*SIGH*
 
CatPrincess , don't be discouraged if some days it seems like you're going one step forward and two steps back. It gets better. I could lay on my operated side quite early, but it wasn't comfortable for long. It was about 10 weeks before I started to sleep on that side, but found myself turning over.
 
I didn't turn onto either side until around the 4 week stage. Now I'm fallin asleep on my unoperated side every night. I don't think I've managed to fall asleep on my operated side yet, unless I've been in a deep sleep and flipped over.
 
A revelation and a question.

My groin pain is most intense when I am sitting upright, torso at 90 degree angle to hip. When I lie down, operated leg straight out, significant improvement.

Any insights as to what may b up?
 
CatPrincess,

The hospital had me sleeping on my non-op side night 1 (upwards of 2 hrs at a time). I started trying to test the operated side and was successful for short periods at about 3 weeks. Couldn't hang out long on that side, but my unop side I could stay longer and longer. I'm now at 7.5 weeks and can lay on either side for extended periods of time (and successfully sleep that way).

Can't really say why the groin is more sensitive - I think position comfort is just as unique to each person as the rest of the recovery. Have you tried keeping it at less than 90 while sitting (i.e.more open)? I have a foot stool that I used that is about 9 inches high that I used throughout the restriction period and it seemed to be more relaxed (i.e less gravity pull on the leg). Since you're more comfy stretched out, consider some sort of ottoman if you have one and don't sit so upright in your chair/couch. Just some thoughts...
 
A better day after a tough night. Not a night of pain, just another one of not getting comfortable, then waking up at 3 am, unable to sleep. I read in my Kindle for a bit, then back to sleep til 7. Oh yeah, during those few minutes I was awake at 3 check email, and in my weekly post-op emails from my hospital, there was one about "what's normal?" and wouldn't u know it, insomnia was in there. I have been napping a lot, resting more than usual, perhaps leading to the middle of the night wake-up.

I stood at the sink doing dishes and something dawned on me, as I've been trying to figure out this nagging groin pain. I caught myself standing with my operated leg bent, favoring it almost, and I wondered if that could be part of the problem, that I'm throwing things off by favoring it and not standing straight. I have been a sloucher for a long time and maybe correcting that is another part of this new chapter I am in. I was really tempted, very close to taking one of the hydrocodone, but am still very leery considering how oxy and I disagreed last week. I took tylenol, put pillows to support my back in my favorite sitting chair, sitting up more straight, and though there is a bit of pain, it's not even close to what it was.

As well last night it was chapter 2 of post-op blues. Like many I was inundated with food and help the first week or so, but now, nothing, esp since the holidays are now over, everyone's back to work, they figured i'm okay, so... Ya'll know the story. The only one who who contacted me through New Years was my bff in NY, and now she's back to work and into her routine too. Good thing I journal, as I came up with some things to do and some good insights. (like posting on FB for peeps to call me!) I ventured outside today for the first time solo. I had been leery because we had snow the weekend after Christmas and it's been cold. I figured at least sit on the porch for a few minutes. Temp was a bit above freezing, the sidewalks were clear, so bundled up, I went for a short walk. I live in the middle of the block, so I went to the end and back, being EXTREMELY care to avoid water or any snow. I sat on the porch with sun on my face, getting my vitamin D quota then went inside. I felt human again, like I was still a part of society. I didn't do anymore than that. I feel more hopeful, like things are getting back to normal, knowing day by day they are. Soon I will be able to go for longer walks and do my yoga (modified and gently of course). And I have a massage on Sunday to look forward to! :spin:

I know there will be some down days still (it is winter in New England of course!) But I will pull through, remembering last night and today. :)
 
Ah, sunshine seems to fix all things blue!! Glad to hear you're feeling better and experimenting a little with positions to find out what's comfortable for you.

Keep reminding people you want to keep in touch. Sometimes a simple text message can lift our spirit. Don't hesitate to send out a message yourself so people know how you're doing (or where you still need help or would love hearing from them). It's funny that when you send out a group message out that those that can, do.

Have a wonderful weekend and focus on that healing!
 
CP, those little milestones are the important ones, we quickly forget when full mobility arrives - and it does!

Sun on the face, very nice.. Too hot here in OZ to even be outside, massive heat wave and worrying bush fires everywhere..

Your sleeping will get into a better rhythm, still early days.. Check out Pugfuly's thread (post #159), I provided some nutritional suggestions Pre bed time that you may find useful.. Bananas top of the list! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom