THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooty I hear you all too well, though at least my surgery was uncomplicated, little no pain, and though I'm still on crutches (at least til Thursday when I see my OS for my follow up), I at least can carry a cup of coffee. I too am by myself for the most part; biologically I have family 100 miles away, but he really isn't family in the sense I want and need family to be.

What helps me in this when I have "one of those days" or a couple of those days in a row, is my faith. Regardless of how you "practice" your spirituality, it helps to "give it over" to someone with greater power, when we feel out of control. I choose to place my faith in God, his love for me, and knowing that He works all things (even the crappy things) for my good. That you have a "feeling" there is a life lesson in all this says to me that there's some kind of voice, perhaps outside of you telling you that, watching out for you. For me, this is (I hope!) the ending of a long 2 year valley which included a major move (2000 miles), 3 moves after that, my mom's death not long after the major move, people who betrayed me financially and wreaked havoc on my credit, landlords who tried to rip me off, bedbugs, a car fire, and in the midst of all that chronic pain that lasted for 17 months, taking 14 months to properly diagnose. I got angry at God a lot in this, but once I finally got diagnosed, found my surgeon (I sense His hand was in that too) and was able to schedule surgery, I could see a light at the end of the tunnel. And He keeps taking me through this (key word through) this, because there is a glorious end, and a mountaintop waiting. I choose to believe that, even on the hard days. I get one chance to learn what I'm supposed to learn in this (cuz I'm not planning on another surgery!) and I keep surrendering so I do it right, knowing there is a blessing at the end.

I'm in no way advocating what you should or should not believe; that's all up to you. I just wanted to share what's (and Who has) helped me. He doesn't take away my "thorn", or take me out of the valley before it's time. He just stays with me until it's time to go up to the other mountaintop. In that I can place 110% trust.

Peace be with you.

(((hugs))):angel:
 
Hi CP, in the year I've been on this site, you're the first in my neck of the woods (I live on the Cape). Sorry to hear your trip is a little bumpy. I think one other member said "it's funny how everyone has a slightly different approach, but experiences the same outcome". For me, a lot of pre-op, the big O, staples, walker then cane, lots of home health care, then outpatient care. And finally, back to normal. I'm 10 weeks pos-op today, I shoveled snow, chopped wood and walked the dog. Still feels pretty good, but I'm not all the way there. My post-op goals were small, tie my shoes and carry my grandson. No gymnastics or other demanding tasks for me. Well, I can carry him (as of last week, oh, he's 4 and, weighs 40-50 lbs). I returned to work after 8 weeks and have been encouraged by my employer to please take it easy. No, even at 10 weeks, I still have a way to go, if I do too much or violate my probabtion (you know crossing operated leg, 90 degree rule for those of us that have one, or twisting), my body says "slow down". For what I know, which isn't that much, you should slow down, let your body heal. I had a great post-op experience, no pain (minor muscle aches only). I was able to walk (more like hobble) with my walker from day 2 (with my OS blessing). So you should take it easy. The cats will be ok, things will fall in place and eventually, your life will gain normallacy. If you try and rush things, you may end up hurting yourself delaying even more, your trip to the museum.
Good luck, post often. Remember, we've all experienced (in one form or another) many of the same feelings you have.

tom
 
Tom, I think you may be the 2nd or 3rd person from up our way. I think some of it is that I had such an easy ride of it. Easy surgery (at the Baptist of course, so I was spoiled from the get go), no restrictions from the surgeon, pretty easy the first couple weeks of post-op at home. I was on crutches from the outset as I was on them prior to surgery My pain has been manageable with ice and the once in a blue moon tylenol. The hardest for me is the emotional, and forcing myself to rest. I just got back from 2 hours of grocery/cat food shopping (absolutely necessary) and I'm done for the week; except for the follow up with my OS on Thursday, I am in for the duration, which won't be hard given how cold it's supposed to be. One can only sleep so much before night time sleep is messed with, and I'm working on three books and two knitting projects. Other things I want to do require sitting on the floor. I'm not much of a TV person, so that's not an option either. Spending a lot of time online, listening to Christian music, listening to sermons online, journaling, doing what I can to make the most of the time while lying on the sofa. So it's a lot of thinking, which for me isn't always a good thing. Feeling physically alone as all my friends whom I've contacted haven't visited me, going out and being social is exhausting, and even going to church is tough. :sigh:
Actually practicing meditation, vs. just writing about needing to meditate. are two totally different things.
so with that being said...til next time...
 
Had a revelation today.
Yesterday was one of those no matter where it hurt and I put ice on it, the pain popped up somewhere else. Adductor, abductor, hamstrings, quads, low back. Was feeling very frustrated. Had a very good though long night's sleep (bed at midnight, didn't get up completely til after 11). Decided to make this a "chill" day, appropriate because of the weather ( a high of 15) after walking a lot yesterday grocery shopping (of course I didn't think of using one of those fun carts til after the fact). Did some Bible reading, journaling, meditating (ferreals this time vs. talking about it and it helped).

Decided around 4:30 (about 2.5 hours ago) to take a nap. Since the kitties had taken over the sofa (one at one end, one at the other occupying all the pillows), I took my blanket and went into my room, and slept on top of the comforter. I found myself drifting a lot into the future, visions of things, and brought myself back to reality with Scripture, "fix your gaze directly before you, Make levelpaths for your feet and take only ways that are firm..." I realized possibly the source of the pain yesterday. I have been around the house on one crutch; when I go out, it's 2. I have started using different muscles and it was really cold yesterday (like today), maybe the muscles are responding the way muscles do? Should I have waited til I saw the OS before I switched to one crutch, albeit in the house? I remember someone posting about what happens when I switch from 2 crutches to one then to a cane.

I have been simultaneously excited and nervous about seeing my OS tomorrow for my first follow up. Excited to see how I've progressed, what the x-ray looks like, what I can do next, and yet nervous that he may say I need to still wait to do things, like yoga. I may just have to meditate without my yoga. I am nervous, because I only have 5 weeks before I go back to work and to climb stairs normally with right leg leading without crutches isn't an option yet (not even close); walking without crutches in general isn't and that scares me a bit. Should I be doing more, or something different? Been trying to write down as many ?s to ask him, as I only get a few minutes with him tomorrow and don't want to forget something important.

I'm sounding like a nervous Nelly and I don't want to. I know rest is the message God is trying to get through to me during this time, and in the midst of everything, I'm starting to try to. I hate to think that I'll have to repeat this lesson with the other hip at some point in time because I didn't learn the lesson I was meant to this time around.

I know, too philosophical for some, but, hey it's me and it's where I'm at.
 
CatPrincess, my surgery was at the Baptist also. Wonderful hospital, great surgeon - a nice way to start for me, a very long recovery. I just read your story - and I think you're doing wonderfully well. We've all felt what you have felt in one way or another. Nothing but good thoughts for you.
 
CP, as I'm reading your posts what I am seeing is a lot of self-reflection going on. You're finding out that no matter what comes your way, you are working things out and you are much stronger for it.

Fret not, as I'm sure you appointment tomorrow will go great and they'll say you are exactly where you should be. The stairs will come as well. I think I was at between 4.5 and 5 weeks I could JUST start doing stairs up foot over foot (gripping the handrail with a death grip). Down was much easier and I was able to do that before 4 weeks. Difference is that I went from the walker to the cane - no crutches except for using to go down stairs.

Keep your head up, girl. You're doing great!
 
WOOP! WOOP!
Saw the OS today...everything looks good. Leg length good, I walk fine, incision looks good. Only "restriction" I still have is no weights (even light ones) til about 3 months. Swimming, bike starting on moderate tension, lots of walking (which I've been doing). Driving, yoga, all okay. No more having to sleep with pillow between my knees (I'm a side sleeper). The cats will be happy with that one! :kittykiss: He had thought there might be some RA in there due to inflammation; pathology says none. That's good news. Other hip looks good too. I started doing steps normally a bit this morning with the crutches. It will take time, but that strength will come back too eventually. May try a "arthritis aquacize" class at the rec center; they have a gym there.
Definitely smiling today, although wistfully. I liked my OS...won't see him for another year, if at all.
:SUNsmile: :yes: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi CP, great update, so pleased that you sound so upbeat and has a good appointment with your surgeon... Fantastic!

Don't forget, the 'slow and steady, recovery from a THR is a marathon, not a sprint' mantra that I write about all the time.. :) as soon as you become more mobile and active, that is the time to balance the exercise with rest.. But you are doing so well, I am thrilled for you :)
 
Sooty, Aussie friend I am going to slip over to your thread and check on you.. I read your post here from a couple of days ago and will reply directly on your thread :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
Everything is on GO, GO, GO for you, CP! Too bad about your OS---you'll just have to find another man to like. Just don't go hog wild with all the things you're allowed to do now. Take them slowly one at a time----don't want any set backs after all this.

Take good care of yourself and your new hip and keep us posted. We care! (and we're also nosey:heehee: ).
 
Bottomshollow, I have many men that I "like", not any at the moment that I like like (if u get my drift :wink: ). He falls into the first category. The first OS I saw had the personality of a moth, I could have been a plastic mannequin for all he cared. No way was I letting him slice me open! This one was actually a normal person (along with being an excellent surgeon)...that's why he got the job.

I'll still go slow. First I'll try the bike, and then some yoga (as long as I don't go crazy I am good). With yoga a lot is stamina, so I will try more restorative classes without the flow option. Stamina isn't quite there for flow. It's good for building strength, and it's the one that means the most to me. Physical strength and inner peace. :)
 
Hope you realized that I was just kidding about finding a man to like! Enjoy your new freedom!
 
I did...I just threw that in there for a giggle! I am a girl after all, and that's where my mind will go!
 
First post-surgery vaccuuming and boy did it feel good! Love seeing the blue carpet w/o all the white kitty fur on it!
I know...I'm crazy! :dancy:
 
CP what a great update! Do mind Poppet's words of wisdom - it comes from a place of care, concern, and experience. Your hip will let you know if you do something it doesn't like. What is your transition plan off of the crutches?
 
Even though my OS said I was walking fine w/o crutches, I will keep using one for awhile. I find myself limping walking from room to room in the house without them. I do hear Poppet's words. MY OS said the best thing for me to do is walk (which I've been doing a lot), but my walking shoes/sneakers are on their last legs, and until I can afford a new pair, I'm going to stick to stationary bike (low tension), beginner yoga (I was an intermediate, but haven't practiced consistently for almost 18 months), so I can just stretch things out slowly, and not up the walking just yet.

Slow and steady wins the race...and I'm in it for the long haul.
 
CP.... Love it... you are going to recover very well :)
 
True confessions...of the many things in recovery that i will not miss the biggest is icing body parts. Nothing more uncomfortable than having ice on various parts of your body several times a day...especially when the temp outside is under freezing, or closer to zero for us the past few days. So not fun!!!
Did some yoga and some stretching today and now on the sofa icing the groin and the hamstrings. The only thing making it tolerable is the space heater on high blowing on me!

Brrrrr!
 
CP, so glad you got a good report from your OS!! I go to mine on the 31st. I have not driven yet because my husband is here to drive me, but ready to be able not to depend on him to take me everywhere. Did you have the anterior approach? I always wonder if I am doing enough or not. I know we are all different, but you can get idea from reading what everyone else is doing. We only had our surgeries 3 days apart and I too am doing well. I know what you mean about the grocery store. It never looked so big until you have a problem. I did not use those riding carts either. I just hung on to the regular push cart. I have not attempted Walmart yet. Sorry you have such cold weather. Yesterday it was 80 here. Cooler today, but it will be in the 70's next week. It is not usually this warm this time of year. We will probably be melting this summer as usual. Well, take care and I will be look forward to your posts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom