THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report CatPrincess! I know posterior surgery does not impact the abductors, which is my big pain bugaboo. Hope you are getting your paper work issues resolved and still able to go to yoga. You will have setback days as everything struggles to right itself inside your hip but you are doing really well. Stay strong!
 
Really tired today. New pain along ITB on both hips and behind the right knee. Hoping this is just part of the process, the "kinks" working themselves out. Hard finding places to walk safely as there is still a ton of snow everywhere and some of the shoveled places have some ice. I go back to work in 2+ weeks, though I really can't see myself doing that. My work requires a ton of stamina and it's not going to be fun at all for awhile, and I don't have the option of cutting back, as my savings is dwindling and bills need to be paid. Sometimes being a responsible adult stinks. Switched up my yoga practice; no flow work, but discovered a restorative yoga class and a yin class, both of which do not involve standing on my operated leg, and focus more on "allow(ing) the muscles to relax and to create/release tension in the deep connective tissue of the body with an strong emphasis on meditation." Got the sense a week ago that even doing slow flow (you yogis out there know what I mean) was not what my body and spirit wanted and needed, and I needed to take it even slower. Prior to all this my practice was my workout, and now I'm getting the chance to balance things out.

The adjustment to this new chapter in my life is challenging. Zero doesn't work; neither does 100. Trying to find 30, 40 or 50 will take time and I find myself very uncomfortable in it. Really challenging allowing myself to totally relax during practice. But this process has its purpose, and will pass.
 
Officially 2 months today.
Time so flies. I go back to work 3 March and I am so not looking forward to it. At least my first trip isn't that difficult, but just the stamina required for standing on my feet, pulling my rollerboard through airports, pulling a cart through 15" wide aisles, and not being able to go back to sleep or take a nap when I want to, is going to kick my butt big time. And I have to come back full time as I am running out of money. In fact, I'll be almost $200 short for March bills til I get paid again; will ask the church, see what they say. Just still really really tired and I'm not even doing a whole lot. 10 hours is the norm these days. Took a long walk (maybe 2 miles, couldn't say for sure) yesterday (needed the sun, as another big snowstorm is coming), then accidentally took back to back yoga classes. I had planned on a nice quiet meditative yin class (no standing, just holding poses to stretch out the connective tissue), but messed up the time and ended up doing a slow flow class where I was in child's pose in tears half the time as I can't do those classes yet (not enough strength in the operated leg). Didn't just want to walk out in the middle of class as I was in the front. Walking and yoga are the only PT I can do. Swimming isn't an option as I got a bit of an infection a few weeks ago at the low end of my incision (which is still a little pink) so I am very skittish about any pool stuff. Trying to accept my situation and my body where it's at right now and that's so hard.

Today my yin side is leading and I am resting. It's hard staying inside as after 2 months I have run out of stuff to do (too much journaling allows one to stay in one's head a lot, not always good), and really need to get out of the house. In the frigid Northeast, one has to get sun whenever one can!

Sorry for rambling; I know I don't have the issues many others still have at the same point in recovery, and for that I am grateful. Just have my own, as we all do, and sometimes, just need to vent.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
You may not look forward to getting back to work, but it will get you out of the house and around other folks. You'll just have to pace yourself and expect to crash as soon as you get home in the evening for a while. You should also take one day of the week-end just for rest. Remember that working is a form of physical therapy---so you might want to go easy on other forms of exercise so as not to overdo.


A good light novel to read might be much better than more journaling right now---sort of put yourself on the back burner a bit.

Where was your body before the surgery and for how long? Not fair to expect it to bounce back immediately to the place it was before the problems leading to surgery started. Instead of focusing on where you want to be---take a good hard look at how far you've come and count your many blessings.

Keep you chin up, look for all the positives in your life, and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
 
I so recall the days before I had to return to work.... I envied everyone on the forum who was retired..

I had no idea how I would cope, but somehow we do... money is a huge driving force for all of us..

Good luck, stay with us, come back and vent if you need to, we ill pick you up :)
 
I wish I could take it easy but it will be 6 day work weeks for the next couple months to start to catch up on bills. Everything medical has to be paid off in six months (about $2000), and somehow in there I am "supposed" to rest and maybe have some fun. Unlike those who have a spouse/SO for support (financial and otherwise), I am on my own, 100%. I really don't have a choice but to work more. I am grateful I have a job to go back to. I've volunteered a couple times at a sanctuary for poor and homeless women and looking at them, that could easily be me. It's been two years of financial hell, literally, and I want to be out of it sooner than later and not drag it out any longer than necessary. I've been off for two months and I'm still exhausted, but I really, have, no, choice.
:sad: :sad: :sigh: :sigh:
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
I'm sincerely sorry, CP, that circumstances are forcing you to return to work while you're still feeling exhausted. I understand that sometimes in life we just have to do what we have to do. Please just try to pace yourself and try to keep from becoming overstressed. And don't forget that we're here---so come and vent whenever you need to---we want to help in any way we can.


Please take care of yourself and keep us posted. We really do care.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
 
CatPrincess, you really are doing so well at what, 9 weeks! You are out walking when you can and your yoga and PT are definitely preparing youfor your return next week. Try to give yourself extra time as you go to not feel rushed and do the best you can. You really are doing well and the money stuff has a way of working itself out. Even though my hubby was home with me during my recovery, he hasn't beeen able to work for over 2 years due to ongoing back issues and he's not on disability either, so financially it does have its moments but like I said things have a way of working themselves out. You've got a ton of support here from people that understand and care!
 
Thanks all. Been doing well...til today. At least it's not my hip. Getting out of the car, stepped in a pile of snow, that was deeper than I realized and totally sprained my left ankle. No swelling but a fair amount of pain. Back on crutches....temporarily at least. Nothing happened to my hip, gratefully, as i pretty much went to my knees, then on my butt. At least I still had my crutches. Just sitting, icing, as I don't plan to be on these crutches for my birthday in 2 days. Besides I have to go back to work Sunday...I have no sick time left. Reminding myself that every day I am closer to my new life...this is just a minor speed bump.
 
So tomorrow it is back to work after 2 1/2 months off *sigh*.
If I have any energy this time tomorrow, I'll let you know how it went. Tomorrow it will be a 4:30 am wake up call, on the train at 7 am, and 2 flights to get to work, and 20 hours of being awake... I so don't miss this. I just keep reminding myself every day is one step closer to the life I hope to have, and my new career. At least I am no longer in pain. Thank You God! I can walk to the train tomorrow morning, and not be in agony. It's such a sweet feeling. I have learned so much from this time away. Esp that even though I don't have a significant group of people around my physically (nor a SO just yet), love and caring across the miles does really help. I am thinking back to Christmas night/the day after, just 4, 5 DAYS post-op with my lost battle with oxy, here I am now 9 WEEKS post-op and going back to work. It's been all of you that have pulled me through (though many friends will say it's been my own strength as well). Every day will get easier, even as I am working lots to pay the medical bills. It is all getting better, and will continue to get even better. I have to keep saying that, and it will. I am still really tired, my ankle is still all bruised, but it will get better. One guarantee: things they are a changin'.
G'night all! :sleep: :zzz:
 
Restful night CP. You certainly have had quite the journey right up to your return to work and I hope it really does improve as you continue healing. Remember to rest when you can. You are one strong woman!

:cheers2:
 
So I made it through the first week back at work. Stamina obviously wasn't back, but, that will come. The mental sharpness will come back too. So out of whack, forgetting stuff that I know by heart. Really not there mentally. And, to start things off with a bang, i forgot my watch at home and was using my cell for a clock and my phone fell out of my pocket on the plane on the very first day, and is now gone, somewhere in some airport lost and found. Sadly, since I didn't back up, I lost contacts, and pictures (music i still had on my computer). I'm not sure the meaning of that, whether it's that I need to be preventative not reactive, or God saying my cracked broken phone had served its usefulness and it was time for a new one. Just a hassle I didn't need, calls I couldn't make.

Hip was okay; the sprained ankle not so much, as it's still really swollen, from all the standing I have to do at work. Doesn't hurt, just swollen and still bruised, now seeing bruises by my toes. *sigh* if it's not one thing it's another.

I am really tired as I picked up an extra shift today, having to be up at 5 am, sleeping on the couch in our crew lounge with one of those wind up clocks for an alarm, and not sleeping well at all. Surprised I am even still awake. Just glad to be home, though I enjoyed the sunshine and warmth of Palm Springs. Can climb stairs on my own, but when I trying to do it carrying my bag (around 35-40 lbs.) I feel something pop (not painful) in my hip; I sense it's simply the muscle strength not being there.
Patience...balance...rest...remembering what I learned during my time off.. So much more that I could write, but it's been a long week, and I have lots to do tomorrow.
:yawn:
 
Cat Princess,
Good to hear from you!! Wow! Seems like you are really working that new hip! Alot of walking and being on your feet. I bet you are tired!!! Next week hopefully, will be easier for you. I seem to tire really easy. After working, I am beat. Just takes time I guess. Sorr about your phone. We all seem to be lost without it. Keep in touch
 
Cat Princess,

If it makes you feel any better, if you have a gmail, hotmail, or one of those generic accounts, you may be able to retrieve your contacts. I was able to when I lost mine a couple of months ago. You need a smartphone and a computer, and the best thing is to go to a store for who your contract is with, like AT & T for example, and let a geek do it for you.

Also, does your phone have a locator? Most smart phones 2 years old and newer do. iPhones, even longer. On one hand it lets you know how much privacy you don't have, but on the other, it helps when things like this happen.

Palm Springs is perfect right now. Do you work for an airlines for a living? Or just fly a lot as part of your job? But you should be able to go to a phone store with whom you're contracted with anywhere to take care of the phone problem.

Otherwise, good luck in returning to work. It sounds like pretty heavy duty activity for a new hip. You're a month ahead of me, but it's still hard to think of all that sitting and carrying, etc ... My body can't do it anymore.

Hope this helps with the phone problem.

HH
 
Thx HH. I am with Sprint and was told by the person when I activated my new phone (at least I had insurance on the old one!) that it wasn't possible, but maybe there is another way. I hope.
Yes, I work as a flight attendant, so traveling is my professional life. It was very nice being somewhere warm for at least a short time, after going through winter (and now coming home to it, as it's snowing with a foot expected!). I also don't have the money for a gym membership right now, so it's nice to take advantage of hotel fitness centers, some of which are actually quite nice, and do the bike or the elliptical. I'm itching to do some weights for my legs, but OS told me to wait til 3 month mark, which is 2 weeks away. I feel ok, but my legs are sooo tired, I presume it's just from all the standing and walking that I haven't been used to in awhile. It's a stamina thing, and it'll pass. I'll just take it easy today, make phone calls that I couldn't do earlier this week, and go back at it Monday.
 
It will be 3 months next week, 21 March that I got my new hip. It seems like so long ago, yet 3 months isn't that long. Got a shock I didn't want when I stepped on the scale at the hotel gym to find (if the scale is accurate) that I've gained 15+ lbs. since the surgery. I keep thinking that couldn't be right as I wouldn't be able to fit into my uniform if I did. Needless to say a bit disconcerting and discouraged, yet it also gives me a kick in the butt to get back into shape and have the rest of my body as healthy as my hip. Bothered me to only be able to do 15 minuts on the bike/elliptical, when a week ago I did a half hour and 6 weeks ago, 40. Frustrating. Guess those 8 cupcakes for my birthday because I was all alone didn't help. Need to make a plan to get healthy and stay healthy. Been hard to do with money being so freakin' tight. Weight was an issue as a kid, and this brings up sad memories, so got to nip it in the bud ASAP.

This week work-wise hip has hurt more, more standing on feet, just soreness. Too much stress at home, then go to work and more stress. I will be glad when it all abates a bit; til then one foot in front of the other. Got to stay positive, even when I don't feel like it. Positive: in the pool today at the hotel and I could do breaststroke (where you have to frog kick) and there was no pain. A positive to hold onto.
 
CatPrincess, congrats on your 3 month anniversary! I hope the last 10 days have gone better for you as you continue to get stronger. You've got to keep in mind that your avocation has a pretty high physical demand, so that is playing into your ability to see progress and stamina. Just keep at it the best you can and look at the things you can do now and try not to compare it to what you were doing at full swing prior to surgery. Make those comparisons a way down the road (like in another 3-6 months). Focus on the things you have accomplished since your hip birthday.
 
Thx dede62. This was a better week physically as I was able to kick up my elliptical workout a bit on the road without any negatives. Also saw the first 2 lbs come off so that felt good. I consider it a positive milestone when I can do things me bad hip wouldn't let me do, like walk all over LAX, sometimes at an incline. It brought a smile to my face and my heart. One step at a time.
 
Am very much in a why bother state of mind. Hips are really tight this morning. Quivering legs from being on my feet for most of an almost 4 hour flight. I am back at work with a healthy hip, working a lot to pay the bills and this month I have lost my phone, had to work with the person no one likes working with and ended up so super stressed and distracted by it that I lost my journal (everything I had written from the time of surgery til now - just writing that makes me cry) and forgot to change online bill pay info and ended up not having money to pay my roommate utilities and had to borrow from next month's rent to do so cuz he has bills, hoping my tax refund comes in soon. :hairpulling: I could choose to slow down, but to do so would mean being pretty close to broke with all the bills coming due, and being behind on others. So I have to find a way to cope. Sleep is at a premium on the road, as no matter how later we get in, and how much time I have, I sleep 7 hours if I'm lucky, when I need much more. Yesterday was 7.25 hours of flying; today is 6.25, and Friday. I'm tempted to work Easter night for someone just cuz I really have no one to spend it with and it doesn't really mean a lot right now.

I will be really glad when all this is over, all this crappy money stuff is done and I can truly focus on getting and being healthy. Feel like I lost most everything I gained from when I was off (except my hip). I know that's a lot to be grateful for, and I am, but there's not much else.
Thx for reading and trying to help me smile again instead of cry.
-CP
 
Cat Princess, I will remember your posts every time I fly. I always try to be super polite to flight attendants because you guys work so hard but now I'll remember that you are not just super-efficient employees, you are also people who have had hip replacements. I feel your pain re.work/bills etc. Clearly you are a strong, independent woman who has only been temporarily tripped up by circumstances beyond her control. I had my surgery six weeks before you and I am still flagging mentally and physically and I am certainly struggling to focus as I once did, although age may be playing an increasing role. Many of us take months and months to get comfortable enough to do what you are doing. I'm sorry about the loss of your phone on top of everything else... it is our link to the rest of the world and losing your photos and contacts is super depressing. I hope things start easing up for you soon, you deserve it. But remember what you have already achieved in this short space of time. Folk like me are in awe of your progress. Be kind to yourself, Vicki.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom