Guest viewing is limited

THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are doing well! Lifting my leg is the hardest thing but it is getting easier. Using the sash off my robe works well to lift it on the bed. Going to PT today for the first time. Getting in and out of the car should be fun LOL Will keep you posted as to how it went. Aren't you glad you made it over to this side? Yea!!!
 
CP you are just out of major surgery. Please take this time to recover. Take those meds, rest - it will all fall into place. But you set your recovery back by trying to fight it. A short space in time for a lifetime of no more hip pain.
 
Jaycee, were my mom still around, she wd say to me, u never do things easily...and never been on any drugs stronger than ibuprofen, I overdid the Oxy, and now I'm a but nauseous. Shd have taken only 1 5 mg pill at a time, instead took 2 pills 2x in a 3 hours block. So today I pay for it and learn. Just have to ride all of this out and let things take their course. Going to watch some Netflix and chill.
 
What quantity does your prescription say to take? I also have problems with pain killers and nausea. Don't ever take them on an empty stomach. Even a small cracker or (as recommended on another thread) ice cream before meds will coat your stomach. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain. And your body does adjust to the meds eventually.

Please don't get discouraged. Recovery is all a bit of trial and error. Things will get better and better!
 
it says 1-3 5 mg tablets every 3 hours as needed for pain. I had some food in my stomach the first 2; it was about 1 am when I took the 2nd two and didn't think of food til I started feeling a bit queasy after. Feels like my body was not happy with it.

It seems like I am in the "mid range" but every body reacts differently, so I'm just going to ease off a bit til dinner and rest and ice and eat Goldfish and drink lots of water.
 
MaxBuck, if I didn't feel so cruddy I'd laugh. I have a headache due to lack of caffeine; can't drink any coffee because it will come right back up due to the nausea from the oxy...it's a wonderful day. :boohoo: :sad:
 
CP can you call your family doc and see if they can prescribe some anti-nausea meds to get you through this rough patch?

Hang in there! :console2:
 
CatPrincess, if the oxy continues to give you nausea, I'd suggest you discuss it with your doctor to see whether an alternative pain med might be provided. My wife had serious problems with Percocet after oral surgery, and was given Lortab (hydrocodone in place of oxycodone) instead. Still caused some digestive distress, but much less. She also reduced her dose to 1/2-caplet each time, and found that gave her adequate pain relief with much less nausea.

Everyone has a bit different response to medication, obviously. Hope you find the right balance for controlling your pain.
 
I don't have a primary care. I need to call my ortho anyway to schedule follow up. I'll ask for something not so strong
 
just called my ortho. His asst is faxing a prescrip for Vicodin, which I guess is weaker. One of my neighbors is able to "legally" pick it up.
now for some ice cream.... I thnk I'll ask her to get some while she's there...it's a CVS...
 
So sorry you are having problems. I'm fine with percocet 5:135 every 6 hours with occasional tylenol for breakthrough --although I never take two percs at a time -- but I was knocked out, depressed and sick with tramadol.
.
 
Feeling much better, thx to vanilla ice cream and ginger ale. No more pain meds today, even if it is just hydrocodon/acetominiphen. I'd rather be in discomfort a bit, than in the bathroom, head over the toilet, trying to not mess up my hip while i'm puking my stomach lining out.
 
Well ginger ale, vanilla ice cream and loving cats, hopefully will help you feel better. I hope the new meds work better, I hate bowing to the porcelain throne, with or without restrictions
Sending good vibes your way
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
So sorry you're having these issues CatPrincess. I felt a bit nauseated in the mornings (which I never did when pregnant) but I never got sick. Wish I could pass that on to you. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
 
Hi Cat, welcome to the other side. I'm 6 weeks post op. Like you, I didn't take any meds cause they made me sick. I've done fine with tylenol, but stopped that after about 10 days. I've been fortunate that everything has progressed smoothly. I've had no hip pain and only slight muscle pain. Good luck and keep everyone appraised.
 
Thanks.
After reading more on oxycodon...it's one freakin strong drug. Why would they give me a prescription for that when I only had pain levels of 1 or 2 in the 2 days immediately after surgery? It must be a standard thing, but how can you do something "standard" when it comes to pain meds? I wonder was it a hospital prescription as part of the discharge process, or something my OS prescribed, when he knew first hand that my pain was minimal (he himself had injected pain meds into the joint during surgery). The possibility of the latter concerns me, because he has been nothing short of amazing this whole process, and that he "might" have prescribed this is a bit disconcerting. I won't jump to conclusions; I will ask.

I know I could have done my research, but it was 11 pm at night, I was scared I'd done something bad to myself...I wasn't in my normal logical intelligent state of mind. I take pain pills when I am in pain, not to prevent pain. That's been my (and prob many others' thinking) pre-surgery. Given I am only 5 days post surgery, my thinking has not changed, and for my own personal situation, I don't I will change it. I think I'm just going back to my Tylenol for awhile. I'm scared to touch anything else. Even though the hydrocodon is not as strong, after today, I am staying away from any narcotic type pain meds for awhile. I'll put myself on a Tylenol schedule, not a hydrocodon schedule. I don't need it.

I wish there was a smiley face for taking a deep breath and dodging a bullet, because I feel like i did today.
 
I'm happy to hear that you and limpingaround aren't having much post-surgical pain, I think that is relatively rare. After my surgery the anesthetist visited me several times to stress the importance of taking pain meds as long as necessary in order to mobilise as fully as possible. Think I'd been forgetting to push the morphine pump. I think most of us naturally try to avoid/reduce narcotics and other pain meds, either we mistakenly fear addiction or think we shouldn't need them. Then if we do too much, too soon around the house or do too much physio, the pain ramps up and we have to start again. Most O S's prescribe narcotics as a matter of course after major surgery but using the prescription is at our discretion. If the dose is 1-3 pills for pain, the idea is to start at 1 and work up....taking two every three hours sounds like a lot. As you found, certain meds cause miserable side effects for some while working fine for others. Everyone's history, surgery and pain tolerance is different but one thing we have in common, we've all felt freaked out along the way when we have twisted, fallen, overstretched, jarred, over extended or just plain forgotten restrictions and hurt ourselves! Glad your pain has receded and you can manage it with tylenol. That's great.
 
and now, 24 hours after taking the oxy, I am feeling nauseous again, when I hadn't for several hours. I just want to go to sleep. I just want all of this to be gone. Feeling very discouraged and very physically alone, wondering why this is my journey and wishing someone could physically be here and hold me and tell me that it will all be all right...
 
Oh dear catprincess..I was writing to you and pressed send just as your post came in. I am so sorry that you are still feeling so nauseous. Do you have anything like gravol? A warm pad? Most of all, I am really sorry that I can't come to Boston and give you a hug. But I can tell you, that while it seems tough and unmanageable right now, it will be alright . You are only a few days out. Honestly, there are such highs and lows on this journey. Rest assured that what you are feeling right now is totally normal. There is a big emotional component to THR, I cried myself to sleep several nights during the first few weeks. I just could not see a bright future. As a very positive person, these feelings came as a complete shock and made me feel even worse. But people here helped me understand that I am not alone and that they had felt exactly the same. We are here for you... please let us know how you feel tomorrow. Hope you can get some sleep.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom