THR 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know...
Merry, I guess you can tell Santa I only deserve coal in my stocking [Bonesmart.org] 4 days post op, pain in groin, butt...yeah I know... this year.
 
What a wonderful Christmas present for yourself. It is the perfect size and color! Congrats. Be sure to rest, ice, elevate and medicate!
 
Been home since about noon, done a little walking. But mostly sitting, lying down to stretch the hip muscles. I am reminded when I am up for a bit that I have had major surgery, and it will take awhile. Even my OS, when he stopped in to c me Saturday, said to take it easy for a couple weeks. Pasta soup and NY cheesecake have been my friends. All I've needed is ice for swelling. Feeling blessed, tho I know there will b some tough days. Been able to get by on tylenol since surgery; wondering if I shd fill the Oxycoden just in case for future.
 
The oxycoden directive is "as needed" the only time pain was above a 2 was right after surgery. Not a whole lot since. Maybe just take some tylenol before bed and see how things r in the morning. Didn't need anything stronger than tylenol in THR hospital, exc Celebrex a couple times.
 
I did see that post which is what gave me the idea I can blame some of my weight gain (however small) on something other than lack of willpower! Now I have 2 new hips, and they are titanium which may weigh a bit less so I rounded it down to 1pound. I also know bone has some weight to it so I was thinking of asking one of the orthopods who does hips at my hospital to weigh it for me after he removes it. Quite anal I know. I really should just focus on losing the weight. But I'm not back to the gym yet & I have never been able to lose weight without exercise. Oh well, Spanx is under the Christmas tree I'm hoping!
 
dtmbf, if Spanx is under my tree, whether I need them or not, someone better be heading for the hills, cause me & my new hip will be after then, and NOT in a good way!! :gaah: LOL I tried to blame some of the weight on the new hip too, but was rudely pointed toward that article! LOL Oh well, until we get to the gym, there's just more of us to love!!

CatPrincess, I'm glad you aren't having much pain, but DEFINITELY get your oxy filled asap, that way you'll have it when you need it.....and unless you are super-human, you WILL eventually need it! Right now you should be resting as much as possible, but as you get more active, your muscles and tendons will be letting you know they've been push, pulled and stretched out of shape and are not happy about it! Be sure to read the article in the Library about recovery time....I know I pushed more than I should have, and then definitely paid the price some days!

Enjoy the holidays, relax and rest!
 
CatPrincess, wanted to stop by and wish you a Merry Christmas! Couldn't ask for more than our shiny new hips! Hope you have a restful day and you feel you are getting better every day! :giftb:
 
Got back from a restful Christmas with a friend (spent most of it on the couch being waited on). Felt fine all day except normal stiffness after being down and then getting up.Was driven home and decided to elevate lying on the sofa. Pillows about 12" high (nose above toes). After about a 1/2 hour it felt as if my elevated foot was slipping to the right so I reached (I have no restrictions from my surgeon) to help my leg go flat on the sofa. I felt a pain afterwards in my butt, not sharp, but somewhat pulsing. I also now feel pain in my groin. Have put ice on it. I don't think I've done anything, but I wanted to throw it out there to those who are further along than I am. I have been able to get by on minimal pain meds; have taken 2000 mg tylenol today 1/2 for a headache, 1/2 for hip pain. Have an oxy prescrip filled just in case. I haven't been overdoing it...or have I? Even though the surgeon doesn't have me on any restrictions, maybe I need to put in my own? If I feel a pulling trying to get up from lying on my side, I slow down and try another approach.

Thoughts anyone? I am truly a bit scared as I've been doing really well, feeling really pretty good, doing my best to rest.

Thanks! :scare: :shocked:
 
CatPrincess

I have merged your two threads into this one as we prefer to have only one primary thread in the recovery section, this is so that we can keep your recovery journey in context.

I have made your latest one the primary thread :) Tag either Jamie or Jo if you want to change the title of the thread at any stage :)

You have most likely over stretched a little. You are doing the right thing by resting, elevating, ice if you have pain, ice is not only just for swelling, it is very good for pain and ache and take your prescribed pain meds as per your protocol from your surgeon/ Dr.

I understand that when we feel like all is traveling well and then suddenly we move or stretch it can be scary in the early days/weeks.

When you feel up to it can you add a signature block with your surgery date it is a huge help and saves us from skipping back through previous pages - here is the link with the instructions ta :)

How to create a signature

You are so early in recovery CP :)
 
It sounds like you may have done some twisting, which is not advised.

As for overdoing, it sounds like you might be. I didn't look back to see what links you've been given, but here are some you should check out. I'm not as good with posting links as some, but will try!

Here is one about activity progression... https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

One on the energy drain, which IS real.... https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!!
 
Others here will be more helpful about your specific pain question but it definitely sounds like you aren't taking enough medication to stay ahead of the pain. And you might be doing way too much for day 4 post-op. I didn't leave the house for the first two weeks, but I was semi weight bearing. I just focused on resting, doing minimal 'wandering' and doing the basic prescribed exercises. You need to rest, ice and take pain pills, you don't have to suffer. Hopefully you have just 'jarred' the joint and muscles and with rest and ice, things will settle down. I know its scary but it will get better soon.
 
Hon, you are 4 days out from a major surgery. I think you are misinterpreting what the surgeon means by "no restrictions." He did not mean it was life as usual with just a little extra pampering and rest. It merely meant you did not have to watch bending past 90 degrees and you don't have to worry about other leg movements. Your guide under "no restrictions" should be to gradually increase activity slowly and scale back when something hurts or tires you. You need to take care of yourself and part of that is LOTS of rest and proper pain management. A car ride and visit in these early days could very well be too much for you. The pain you're experiencing is typiccal post op pain and it needs your attention. You are going to hurt!

Here are some articles for you from the BoneSmart Library:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please go ahead and start using your prescribed pain medications! There is plenty of time down the road to scale back to Tylenol, but now is not the time. Here are some articles to read from the library. If you wait to take your pain meds until you NEED them, you'll be playing catch up and it will take more to get the job done. Don't do that to yourself in these early days of recovery. Put yourself on a schedule based on your prescription doseage and stick to it for a couple of weeks.
 
Thank you all. I consider my hand slapped with love...
It is quite possible I have been doing a bit much. It may not seem like much, but our bodies know best. They tell us loud and clear when to stop and after major surgery, I need to listen.

I just took my first 2 oxys, going to sleep.
 
Yes, with much love :)

You will be fine.. I did a similar thing with straight leg raises... Thought I was superwoman and showed off to my SO and set myself back two weeks, easy to do honey :)

Remember, your new hip is for the rest of your life, so treat it like the precious treasure it is for the next six weeks or so.. I still pamper mine at 13 months :)
 
So I followed everyone's "loving advice". It's now 8:15am day after Christmas, about to go get coffee and breakfast. Took 2 oxys at 11:15 pm, 2 more at 1:45a, then one at about 4:15a when my fluffy cat decided he was hungry. I sleep on my side, so I slept on the sofa (more support for my back) with my calmer orange kitty on my belly. I awake today in a much better mood, mentally and physically. As one (perhaps many of us in the same boat) who is used to taking pain meds when one is in pain, not to prevent pain, this is one of those milestones in the journey. Even though I rested at my destination, perhaps the exertion of the car ride - stairs, getting in and out of the car, and unfortunately a lower toilet at my friend's house, were too much for this post op body of mine. Mentally and emotionally I needed to be with people on Christmas (my roomie was with his gf); physically obviously another story. So today, after breakfast/coffee/meds, I will go back to the living room, turn on the TV, grab the remote, and surf. No visitors, no medical peeps today, so it is a do only what's necessary day.

Thanks all for your words. It was a bit scary last night; glad to have the support (as always).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom