Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

Maybe you can get your doctor to give you a prescription for a boot. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
 
I had a similar thing that flared back up when I had my RTKR last year and I started doing some calf stretches. I went back to the Podiatrist who treated me the 1st time for it and he did x-rays of it again and said it was still stable. It finally settled down, but I can tell you that my OS did NOT want me in a boot. That would have really messed up my gait with that new knee and the other one that was 7 months old at the time. I treated it the same way I did my knee - ice, elevation and I also used some Voltaren gel I had on hand. I told the therapist at my OS's office I wasn't going to do anymore exercises that might compromise my Achilles on that leg and she understood. Try and stay off of it for a few days and it will probably get better.
 
Oh man, @Gigi32, I hadn't thought about the boot throwing the knee, but it sure would! I'm glad you had another suggestion for her.
 
Use your cane whenever you think that you might limp. I still have mine in my car just in case my knee gets too bad at work and I need a little help when I get home. You might also want to examine your shoes for wear. When I had my TKR my leg was straightened so I definitely needed new shoes. Since I wear sneakers at work I went to a running store and they took the time to check my gait and how my foot was striking the ground and then made a couple of suggestions.
 
Ahhhh, new shoes for sure! I don't think about that as much since I haven't been able to run the last year.

I definitely would not want a boot unless there was an actual injury (tear) or it was absolutely necessary. Not to mention, they are so big and bulky. I am going to have my PT massage it tomorrow and have my doctor take a look at my other appointment tomorrow.




TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good news, the doctor was pleased with my ROM this time around. I did lose 8 pounds in two weeks though, so they were concerned. I don't mind the weight loss at all lol. I told them I haven't had an appetite and that I was ok with that, because I weight 206 pounds. I could definitely stand to lose a few, but they said now is not the time. Anyhow, they approved my switch to Tramadol, from Tylenol 4, because loss of appetite is a side effect of Tylenol 4 (so they said). Seems to me that the loss of appetite is pretty common for most folks though. Anyhow, I was released to drive too, so that felt amazing today!


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yippee! You can drive! I can't imagine your doctor not being happy with your weight loss. It's much better on your knees. Many of us have complained about having little appetite, so I think it's common for after this surgery. Tramadol works good for me. I hope it does for you, too.
 
I took my first Tramadol this morning and maybe I should have taken two. I feel ok but in a little pain. Saying that, I also have been cleaning most of the morning. I am icing and elevating now, and it is noticeably feeling better. I'm going to take it easy the rest of the day.

I really want to start getting on the bike but my knee won't make the full rotation yet. I see many other people already driving, so I need advice. Is there anything y'all did to help that along? I am not looking to ride for exercise, but instead because the movement really works miracles for my stiffness and ROM. At PT, we use a different kind of "bike", without a rotation. I am not sure if that makes sense lol. I feel like I would feel a lot better if I could get on the bike for 5-10 minutes in the morning.


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Is it ok to take Advil after a knee replacement? I was taking a lot of it, for a long time, before my surgery. I started to get stomach pains right after taking it (prescription strength), so I stopped. I haven't taken it in about 7 weeks so I thought I would try taking 2 pills tonight. It has always been really good for my inflammation, so I thought it might help my knee through recovery, if I take very small doses. Any advice?


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@HookEm613 I've also lost 10 pounds, my appetite was better for about 1 week and now it's worst than the first week, nothing is appetizing, then when I do decide what I want to eat I get full right away, I feel like I have a brick sitting in my stomach, I'm driving my poor husband crazy. I'm also over weight so I hope this side effect stays around for a while, lol

Since my TKR was on my right knee I can't drive for 2 more weeks, I'm jealous :(
 
HookEm.....I've put a few quotes from your posts together to hopefully help you see a real pattern with your recovery.
Had my two week appointment today. My recovery is completely opposite of most at this point, the doctor said. My leg extension is great and so is my strength. My ROM is not so great due to the excessive swelling. They said I have been doing way too much, and not giving myself enough time to rest, elevate and ice. I have another appointment in two weeks to measure ROM again, and if I am not at 90 degrees at that point, they will consider a manipulation.

Yes, I am going to have a serious talk with my significant other today and let him know that at least for the next week, I am going to take is super easy. When my knee is feeling good, I am super close to 90. Trouble is, 75% of the time, it's too swollen to even get close.

I woke up still swollen, but I have a noticeable improvement in bend. I spent a lot of time elevating yesterday so perhaps that's why, but I am confused. Is this normal

My knee is swollen and stiff again today. We did squats for the first time in PT yesterday, and although it was ok then, my knee is telling me I am not ready yet.

On another note, PT has been great and I am starting to follow a pattern. I feel an increase in inflammation the day after PT, and 2 days later I feel like I have made decent gains. It really is a roller coaster. If it holds true, tomorrow should be a good day.
You have consistently been trying to do too much too soon. When you take things easier and ice/elevate more, your swelling and pain decrease. This is the proof that you need to slow down. Cleaning, cooking, errands should be really minimal at this point. Others can help with this or it can just wait. No one ever died from a few dust bunnies!

Your ROM is there; it is just masked by the swelling. And it is normal for things to feel pretty good when you're doing an exercise, but the pain comes later. You will be much better off to take things easy for a few weeks and then slowly start (5 minutes twice a day at first; adding a minute every 3rd day) with your bicycle. That motion is gentle enough to give you the "loosening" up you want without irritating your new knee.

I'm walking 75% of the time without a cane, but I am not risking it when my knee gets tired or tight. I still have my handy cane around at all times and will for some time. I also use the cane if I am walking any distance outside of the normal short distances inside.
Be careful with this! If you limp at all you are not ready to ditch a walking aid. I actually used my walker instead of the cane because it gave me the support needed to practice walking with longer strides. I did that for about 6 weeks and then only carried the cane when I went out to warn people that I was still healing. If you limp you not only stress your new knee but also your other joints and back.

I had a partial tear of my right Achilles. I was in a walking boot for almost 2 months while it healed and I was told that there is a 75% chance that it will fully tear one day, even after it "healed".

I have worked out pretty hard for years and I have been totally fine. It gets inflamed at times but nothing serious. I noticed that it is super inflamed today though, and I am guessing it is because of my limp. I am trying my hardest to walk without a limp, and when my leg gets tired I transition back to my cain to compensate for it, but I am definitely feeling it.
This is even more reason to continue to use a walker or cane until you are very strong with your gait. There is no reason to hurry with this transition and you'll be glad you allowed yourself to get as strong as possible with the extra support of that walking aid before going it without one.

I took my first Tramadol this morning and maybe I should have taken two. I feel ok but in a little pain. Saying that, I also have been cleaning most of the morning. I am icing and elevating now, and it is noticeably feeling better. I'm going to take it easy the rest of the day.
Please, please don't clean "all morning." The pain is telling you it's too soon for that much activity. And don't take more pain meds just so you are more comfortable doing the chores. That's not really doing your knee any good at all if you do.

I really want to start getting on the bike but my knee won't make the full rotation yet. I see many other people already driving, so I need advice. Is there anything y'all did to help that along? I am not looking to ride for exercise, but instead because the movement really works miracles for my stiffness and ROM. At PT, we use a different kind of "bike", without a rotation. I am not sure if that makes sense lol. I feel like I would feel a lot better if I could get on the bike for 5-10 minutes in the morning.
You can't "help" your body recover. It will do so on its own schedule. The more you try to do things to "help" the more you will set your recovery back. The best thing is what you already know.....rest, ice, elevation and medicate for any pain that you have given that level of activity. I agree that the bike will be good for you. You can start by just rocking back and forth on the pedals a couple of times a day. But this plus some walking around the house every hour or so should be the bulk of your exercise until that swelling is under control. Please don't compare yourself to anyone else. Yes, some drive quickly. But the vast majority don't until 6 weeks or later out from surgery. If you need to, go back and read the recovery articles posted for you earlier in your thread. It will remind you what a huge surgery you've had and how important it is to allow your body the time it needs to heal.

Is it ok to take Advil after a knee replacement? I was taking a lot of it, for a long time, before my surgery. I started to get stomach pains right after taking it (prescription strength), so I stopped. I haven't taken it in about 7 weeks so I thought I would try taking 2 pills tonight. It has always been really good for my inflammation, so I thought it might help my knee through recovery, if I take very small doses. Any advice?
You are definitely not a candidate for Advil at this point. Once you have had stomach problems, you should really steer clear of any NSAIDs as you have a serious risk for stomach bleeding. It is really not very good for pain relief anyway and it doesn't work on the inflammation following surgery. For now, stick with a combination of your Tramadol and Extra Strength Tylenol (1000mg doses every 6 hours).
 
I echo all Jamie has said. I would have said exactly the same but probably not so gently!

So in summary
1. DON'T do any cleaning at 4 weeks out
2. cut back on activity and follow the guidelines here Activity progression for TKRs
3. don't be miserly with your medication
4. take Tylenol with your Tramadol - it enhances the effect wonderfully well.
5. Try this routine that I worked out for my knee

[Bonesmart.org] 3 years out - Injury?worked
 
I just want to second (or third as the case may be :wink: ) the comments of

1. don't "clean all day." I found vacuuming particularly stressful on the knee and that was with waiting many weeks to do that myself. And then I only did one room a day.

2. If you get stomach pains with Advil that's a red flag. I say that as someone who took NSAIDs for many years with no problem until one day when I developed ulcers.
 
Hi everyone! It has been six months since my knee replacement and things seem to be going well. I am 36 years old and have a 2 year old at home so I will be honest in saying that I did not rest like I should have at the beginning and that slowed me down a bit.

Now though, I am seeing marked improvements. I have been going back to the gym for about 2 months and within the last month, I started a strengthening program again. I have been focusing on squats although I have noticed that I have really bad form due to years of favoring the bad knee. Now I am using the Smith machine to do squats so that I can watch myself in the mirror and really focus on form.

I only use a small amount of weight but I figure some is better than none. I usually move to the leg press and work on a small block for gaining confidence in stepping up with the new knee. I also try to do 15 minutes on the bike and then 15-20 on the elliptical. My goal is to get on the stair master for 30 minutes, but that will take a good amount of time to get there.

I don't have any pain any more, but I do have a tightness that I feel similar to what I would imagine two rubber bands would feel like. This feeling comes on at night, but a few Tylenol help with feeing uncomfortable. Is this normal to anyone else? I have good ROM, so it's not an issue with that.

Anyhow, I did lose 20 pounds after surgery, but gained it back. Not my best moment, LoL! I am enjoying Christmas and then changing my focus to losing weight and getting back into my weight lifting regiment. One thing I will say, the depression/anxiety that you feel after a TKR is very real. Getting back in the gym has brought me out of my funk but it was bad for a good while. That was something I just didn't expect.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm thinking you meant six months since your TKR, because your signature says June 13, 2016. I did panic a bit when I read you were doing squats and weight training at 6 weeks, but I saw your signature and breathed a sigh of relief! I'll go ahead and give you the BS readings, just in case you need them. That tight feeling could be coming from the squats. Give it a break for a week or so and see what happens. Your knee. Luke be swelling because of the squats and weights. It can take up to a full year to feel 100% and many experience swelling for up to a year. I lost 25-30 pounds and gained it back even though I swore I wouldn't!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Yes, oh my! I just saw that, thank you for the heads up. I am six months out, LoL.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
welcome our surgeries took place around the same time period. I over did it in the beginning also, mostly my own doing as I didn't experience alot of really intense pain, so I did more than I probably should have on a daily basis. Then I ended up having some other issues. I suppose working out is probably ok, I am just happy to go about daily living and feel at this point and time it's enough until I am further recovered.
 
I do have a tightness that I feel similar to what I would imagine two rubber bands would feel like.
Haven't you found the Library yet? Numb area after TKR




https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/numb-area-after-tkr-how-long-will-it-last.5931/
@HookEm613 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads

2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated

3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
I agree with KarriB. Even at 6 months the knee still has a bit of healing to do. I'd back off a little bit on the exercises--fewer reps or fewer days for a while (a couple of weeks) and then gradually bring the level back up. For me gradual was the name of the game.
Sounds like you're doing great, though.
 
HookEm. I'm 3 weeks out on the R and 7 weeks out on the L. I read your thread start to finish. What a story it tells. Do less, gain more! I've been following the mantras strictly and feel good about where I am. I am getting bored though! I hope you have many many good years with your new knee. Take good care of yourself. Your story here was inspiring!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom