Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

I'm glad you enjoyed your outing :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@HookEm613 My PT has not been bad, she is pretty gentle, I do try to do my exercises 2-3 times a day, have not been able to do any today, I had lots of company today, the last one just left, I'm tired, I'm going to eat dinner and then ice for a while, will exercise next time my pain pill is due :)

How are you doing today?
 
I can honestly say I've had a marked improvement the last two days. I've been able to practice bending to improve my ROM, and it can be uncomfortable at times but not painful. I am able to get up and do things around the house, and that has been beneficial. I just make sure to do a little, rest and ice, and repeat. Walking with the cane has helped tremendously too. I suspect I will need to use the cane for another few weeks, but I am in no rush. I will put it away when my body tells me it is time and not before.

Tomorrow I start some training for my full time job (we are off for summer), and on top of my part time job (only 15 hours per week), I will be back to working 4-5 hours a day. That's ok though, luckily I work from home for both jobs, and don't have a set schedule. I can work an hour, rest and ice, and do a little more. In about 5 weeks I will go back full time, so it still have a good few weeks to rest up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you are doing well! A little bit of rest works wonders, doesn't it?
 
Just remember that work will knock you out and to take it easy. Tell your supporters that just because you're back to work for a few hours doesn't mean you're healed.
 
Had my two week appointment today. My recovery is completely opposite of most at this point, the doctor said. My leg extension is great and so is my strength. My ROM is not so great due to the excessive swelling. They said I have been doing way too much, and not giving myself enough time to rest, elevate and ice. I have another appointment in two weeks to measure ROM again, and if I am not at 90 degrees at that point, they will consider a manipulation.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I bet your knee is swollen hindering your ROM @HookEm613. Is it possible to elevate and ice it more so you can bring it down and get better movement? I sure hope you don't have an MUA this early in your recovery. 2wks post-op is such a short amount of time for the healing of your baby knee.
 
I agree! I am a little frustrated that they want to consider a manipulation at only 4 weeks. I am just two weeks today, let the knee heel!

I have found more time to elevate the knee today, and that's the plan for the next two weeks. Elevate, ice and repeat. I don't want an MUA.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well when I was told at 6wks he wanted to go back for more flexion I froze, lol! I politely suggested a few more weeks to try & increase it. I got them and more flexion! It's ultimately our decision. We can start off suggesting it politely and if refused- go to plan B. For me that was to say I would like a few days to research the procedure before I would consider it. Allot of US physicians expect their patients to be submissive to their recommendations because after all, they are the educated one in the room. But there's nothing at all wrong with our being proactive with our healthcare and making informed decisions! If I felt strongly that 4wks just wasn't enough time for the swelling to go down to allow flexion- it would be allot easier for me to tell his RN on the phone than face to face in his office- LOL! Look up at my avatar- wimp of the year- LOL!! But with 92*s flexion today!! = )

But all kidding aside- had it not been for Bonesmart I wouldn't have had a CLUE what was causing my stiffness!! I doubt Google would have told me I was overworking it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz you are so right, 4 weeks is not enough...you should be very proud of yourself, look what you were able to do:wow:
 
You have the right to say no, not yet. I want at least 6 weeks to heal or even more! You are the employer, your doctor is the employee. He has to do as you say, not vise versa! He said himself that you're doing too much. Doesn't he realize that you can't bend when you're swollen?
 
Yes!! You have all said how I feel. I they also told me to reduce my pain pills (Tylenol 4) to 1 every 6 hours instead of 2 every 4. I asked for Tramadol as that worked really well after my last knee surgery, but they said not yet. Ugh!

I am highly irritated tonight. I feel like my doctor has unrealistic goals.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am highly irritated tonight. I feel like my doctor has unrealistic goals.

That's the worst feeling @HookEm613. You want to believe he's playing the leading roll in your knee replacement & recovery. His bad.

I don't understand not wanting you to have tramadol. If you find the Tylenol 4 every 6hrs is not controlling your pain, 'raise the roof' with your OS's office or go see your PCP. Tramadol together with Tylenol has been very effective for me.

This is so neat. 2wks ago my OS and I were having a serious conversation about my being left without any effective pain relief 2wks post-op due to his RN not communicating I was completely out. I got so mad when she said he wasn't going to give me any more narcotics, (2wks out now), that I decided to not ask anymore. Thank God I had an entire bottle of tramadol 100mgs in the medicine cabinet from my PCP prior to my surgery. I learned that tramadol 100mg and 1000mg of tylenol works wonders together and was able to utilize that instead of the oxycodone I was on previously. It worked remarkably to control my pain. So at my 6wk post-op appt. during the discussion with my surgeon I said to him that my Granddad use to say, 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil' and that I should have been a squeaking wheel until I got my pain needs met. He totally agreed.

Today, 8wks post op, I was with him again and I'll be darned if while we were talking he reminded me that in the future to remember, 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'. I loved that because I feel like he heard me! And maybe yours will hear you if you share how you really feel about things!

Stay strong! You are navigating your TKR at this point. Your surgeon is only with you a very few minutes and yes has his directions. You're with your knee 24/7 and want to give it your best care in order to recover properly.

There are just too many people here at BS who have followed the mantra's through to a very successful recovery for us not to take notice that the gentle approach is not only easier on us but truly works!
 
Thank you for the advice. I have been on just 1 Tylenol 4 today and there is a noticeable uptick in pain. I just don't think I'm ready for that, but I'm tired of the nausea and sleepiness. Tramadol worked better for me than Vicodin did on my last surgery, so I am not giving up. I am on my refill bottle of the Tylenol 4, and have about half of the bottle left. When I am down to a day or two, I will be calling again to request the Tramadol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, I'm off the oxy at day 16 doc's orders and hmmmm, knee feels like there's glass in there for lubrication, I guess that'd be scar tissue.
 
knee feels like there's glass in there for lubrication, I guess that'd be scar tissue.
That is not scar tissue. You don't have scar tissue, because it's much too early in your recovery to have developed it. It is simply trauma and wounded tissues from the major surgery you had only two weeks ago.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom