Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

I am hitting 90 degrees now, so my next goal is 120. He said the hope is to hit 120 in three weeks, but we are not pushing it. He said it will happen when my knee is ready and not before, and if we try and force it, it will only delay it. (I think some of y'all on here should be PTs too, haha)
I'm glad your PT is not pushing it, but what's his rush? Don't let his goal become yours, or you could start to get anxious.
You have a whole year after surgery to achieve a ROM of about 120. There's no time frame in which you have to get there, no "window of opportunity".
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
My own ROM continued to increase spontaneously for about 15 months.

My knee is swollen and stiff again today. We did squats for the first time in PT yesterday, and although it was ok then, my knee is telling me I am not ready yet. I'm laying in bed now with my leg up, icing, and wondering if I should take a nap.
As the others said, don't do the squats. your knee isn't ready for them yet. You already do a version of squats every time you sit down or get up off a chair - and that is all the squats you need to do right now.
 
We are not in a rush, it is just a goal to work to. As he said, it will only happen when my knee is ready, and not before.

I am doing pretty well with reducing my pain pills. I took two this morning because I always seem to wake up sore. I have been trying to not take them during the day, and it's been going well. So, I take two when I wake up and two at bedtime (midnight and around 8 or 9 am). I might get some regular Tylenol to take in the late afternoon, but I am doing ok for now. I think I will get some just in case, and especially for my daughters birthday party on Saturday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing are doing so well! Now, be careful to not overdo. You know how easy it is to do that!
 
I am hitting 90 degrees now, so my next goal is 120. He said the hope is to hit 120 in three weeks, but we are not pushing it. He said it will happen when my knee is ready and not before, and if we try and force it, it will only delay it.

We are not in a rush, it is just a goal to work to. As he said, it will only happen when my knee is ready, and not before.
OK. I'm glad he's gentle and not forcing anything.

But, aiming to go from 90 degrees to 120 in the space of three weeks does sound to me like a very optimistic goal.
As long as you don't set your heart on it or become discouraged if you don't achieve it, that's OK.
 
Yep, I've gotta get to 120 from 106 in two weeks, I'm not predicting success based on weekly change.
I suppose it's a goal.
Ted
 
LoL there is no way I am getting to 120 in 3 weeks. That is my goal but come on now...we know it's not happening haha!

On another note, PT has been great and I am starting to follow a pattern. I feel an increase in inflammation the day after PT, and 2 days later I feel like I have made decent gains. It really is a roller coaster. If it holds true, tomorrow should be a good day.

I'm walking 75% of the time without a cane, but I am not risking it when my knee gets tired or tight. I still have my handy cane around at all times and will for some time. I also use the cane if I am walking any distance outside of the normal short distances inside.

Tomorrow is our 2 year olds birthday party so I am mentally preparing myself to accept help. It's hard to "host" without the hosting duties, if that makes sense. My mom came today and helped me prepare some items, so that was really good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing so good now! You are still the host because they're using your house. You just have some help. Your mom is a God-send!
 
Well, the party was a success! Staying off of the leg, not so much. I am definitely going to pay for this one!

On another note, hope everyone is doing well!


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Couldn't get her to smile for anything, but she had a great day.
[Bonesmart.org] 3 years out - Injury?worked



TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OMG...what an adorable little girl...happy birthday to her! Love her cake too! My granddaughter is 3 and she loves Minnie Mouse and the whole gang! Glad the party was a success. Now rest.
 
Happy Birthday to your daughter, she is beautiful!!!
 
Thank y'all, ladies! She had a great time. We had a bounce house but with the Texas heat, we were afraid to let the kids jump for more than about ten minutes at a time. You know it's hot when the kids don't argue about getting out for water!

My plan for the rest of the weekend is to do nothing, at all. I don't have to work tomorrow (work from home), so it's a good day to lay around and watch tv. I am taking two classes this summer too, for my full time job, and I have two assignments due a week from tomorrow. If I get bored, I will knock out some of that. I highly doubt it will happen though, haha.


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow, I completely need to take a class but haven't had the guts to sign up for one Hookem...good for you! When do you return to work? (it ought to be a while I think)
Ted
 
Your daughter is beautiful! Now, you have earned yourself a nice, restful rest of the weekend!
 
I work at an online high school so I start the first week of August. It is really very part time for the first week, and the second week, we travel to Houston for a 3 day training. It's really a lot of fun! Then, the third week, it starts to transition in to full time.

Every summer I get to the point where I am ready to get back to work, and I am just about there. I miss talking to my kids! Also, teaching online removes the stress, it's really the best teaching job ever. You would never imagine it, but I "teach" so much more online. With no discipline, it's amazing how much teaching you can do. I can honestly say I have a fun job.


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Unfortunately, I am starting to experience a side effect that I didn't even consider. In college I played soccer and before practice one day, our coach had us run bleachers as part of our warmup. During this workout I had a partial tear of my right Achilles. I was in a walking boot for almost 2 months while it healed and I was told that there is a 75% chance that it will fully tear one day, even after it "healed".

I have worked out pretty hard for years and I have been totally fine. It gets inflamed at times but nothing serious. I noticed that it is super inflamed today though, and I am guessing it is because of my limp. I am trying my hardest to walk without a limp, and when my leg gets tired I transition back to my cain to compensate for it, but I am definitely feeling it.

I will ask my doctor tomorrow but I am super paranoid about it right now.


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No wonder, I would be, too! I would have thought that once it was healed it would stay healed. Do you still have your boot? That would probably help it until your gait gets better. Hopefully, you'll have a good visit with you doctor tomorrow. Be sure and let us know how it goes. We care!
 
Your little girl is so adorable!!! even without a smile :heehee:
Glad to hear you are making good progress, please don't stress about the bend, you are still in the early stages of recovery....it will come in time :yes: I'm a little over 3 months and mine is at 115/0 and I'm still working on it.
 
Your little girl is so adorable!!! even without a smile :heehee:
Glad to hear you are making good progress, please don't stress about the bend, you are still in the early stages of recovery....it will come in time :yes: I'm a little over 3 months and mine is at 115/0 and I'm still working on it.

I think it's my doctor that is stressing me out. I am at 4 weeks post op today, and my doctor wanted me at 90 by my 2 week appointment. I am getting checked again tomorrow (4 weeks), and if I am not at 90, they want to discuss a MUA. I am going to deny at this point, but I feel like they think I am just sitting around doing nothing. When we measured at PT last Thursday, I was at 86, so hopefully I am close enough. Ugh!!!


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No wonder, I would be, too! I would have thought that once it was healed it would stay healed. Do you still have your boot? That would probably help it until your gait gets better. Hopefully, you'll have a good visit with you doctor tomorrow. Be sure and let us know how it goes. We care!

Unfortunately, no. That was about 15 years ago when I was 21. I don't think any injury has been as annoying as that one. About 5 years ago I was playing a game with a woman's league here, and broke my ankle. It was a minor break, more so a "chipped bone" as weird as that sounds, and that seemed like a cake walk compared to the Achilles.


TKR-Left knee: June 13th, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom