Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Hoping you will get more answers soon about your knee! Glad you have had good weather while on holiday.
 
It sounds like your knee (and the pain/limitation) is more manageable and that’s a good thing. (I’m sure the chocolate is helping!) I hope your trip home is pain-free and that you get answers from the doctor when you see him on Monday.
 
Note to oneself... do not drink Wine with medication :martini: last night we had dinner out with very good friends, and my favourite red wine was served, thinking one glass wouldn't do me any harm ( probably not) but 3 glasses later, I was very relaxed & slightly tipsy, however once home, I googled wine with Tramadol.. .large bold letters jumped out at me, do not mix wine with Tramadol and the various side effects - well that was my wake up, the rest of the night I took no medication, imagined the worst case scenario, with my knee yelling at me, as I refused to take any, this morning, I feel slightly hungover ( as have not drank any alcohol since November). Now I'm ready to start a new pain free day minus any alcohol until this :censored:knee starts behaving.

Funnily my gait seemed better and straighter walking to the car :heehee:
Sadly short lived as I hobbled to the kitchen this morning.:groan:
 
oh @Sara61 you are a girl after my own heart. When confronted by something I like I find it difficult to show restraint, particularly for a good red wine. I stopped any alchohol whilst on strong pain meds but didn't really fancy anything. I knew I was getting better when I fancied more food and particularly a glass of wine with dinner. Glad you had a good night out xx
 
@Sara61 Just one important fact omitted. Which red wine is your favourite?

As there are so many of them here in Portugal it is always good to try something new that comes with a recommendation.

No wine with Meds !!!! Just another thing to have to endure once I have had my surgery.

I hope it will not be much longer before you can really enjoy a nice glass of wine or three without paying such a high price. Nice to know that you enjoyed your night out though.
 
There are quite a few alcohol-free wines out there. I'll sometimes buy those for celebrations. You get the wine taste without the buzz!
 
Hi...i just jumped back,on this forum after being absent for a couple of years and lo and behold I too just entered my 4th week of rehabbing my second TKR. My first was last August with an overnight in the hospital. This time though, because of Covid, I had same day and it wasn't too bad. I always get a general anesthetic for anything but they also gave me a nerve block so I was able to get home and in my own bed in relative comfort. The therapist visited that night and very slowly measured my extension which was fine. I also could get more than 90 degrees on flexion but that stopped as soon as the nerve block wore off! Anyway all in all it wasn't bad having same day. I was grateful to be home. Now I'm in PT 3X a week. It's sore and achy but I'm walking without a cane and I'm 110 degrees. I hope in another week it will be much better.
Good wishes to all who are doing the same thing. So glad I only have 2 knees!!!LOL
 
@Algarve46 I usully favour wines from the Alentejo at the moment my favourite is Monte dos Perdigões (currently on Sale at Pingo doce) it is a full bodied red 14.5% quite strong :heehee:
I'm hoping that next week, I can start to slowly taper off some of the stronger medication, I need first to find out why I cannot bend this knee just using my muscles as it bends fine if I use my hands.
It's good to get out and do normal things, you appreciate it all the more when you can't xx

@sistersinhim I've never tried a non alcoholic wine, I've tried non alcoholic beer but they taste pretty awful, not that I'm a fan of beer anyway.
 
Awww, you are a girl after my own heart too, @Sara61 . I love red wine! I stayed away from it until I was done with the oxy and also when taking so much Tylenol as I didn't want to tax my liver too much. Full-bodied reds are my favorite too. My tolerance went way down after abstaining for so long and those first few glasses hit me pretty hard! Now that I can drink as much as I want (no more medication at all) I'm cutting back because I'm trying to lose weight. Bleh...... I still have a couple/three glasses a week though......They say those polyphenols are good for you!

Don't worry, you'll be having your wine again in no time!
 
Almost scared to think it's true, but tonight is the first time in almost 3 weeks, I was able to bend my knee whilst lying down with my leg straight all on its own ( albeit very slowly) - :yes!:this for me is a huge milestone and I am now positive that with patience that the light at end of the tunnel is now achievable.

Tomorrow afternoon we leave our home in the North and drive to our home in the South. My MIL is returning to her own home, (with home help organized for her) and I will finally get my own space back.
However it is probably due to her and her son that I've been able to rest & heal as they have both literally done everything for me for the last couple of weeks and I know I haven't been the easiest of patients, worry, stress and pain makes the worst of us.

:prayer:That I have finally turned a corner xx
 
:yes!::spin::dancy::cheers:

Stick with it and don't forget "All things in life are temporary" and you are almost certainly heading for a better level.
 
Wow! That is exciting, and Wonderful! You do deserve it. Enjoy your trip back home, & be sure & listen to your body. I’m sure home will feel good. Congratulations!
 
@Sara61, so happy for you - that’s an important milestone!

I’m glad, too, that you will be home soon and that you’re getting your house back. It’s great that you’ve had a lovely vacation and time with your daughter but now you can concentrate on taking care of yourself and healing.
 
I'm gad you're seeing progress. Be sure to rest up for and from the trip. Praying your progress continues.
 
Update.. We arrived home Sunday evening after a 7hour drive, we stopped twice very quickly as it was bucketing down, my first attempt to get from the car to restaurant/rest rooms was disastrous, I hobbled from the car park all the way to the entrance only to discover my face mask was in the car :gaah:unfortunately my husband was sitting inside the car with his back to me so didn't see me waving my arms so I had to hobble all the way back to the car, by this stage I was soaking, life is not fun being on crutches..

Anyway yesterday whilst at the local hospital I saw a new orthopaedic doctor, he listened to me and did a thorough examination of the knee, he then arranged for new X-rays to be taken, these I did this morning and after I saw him to discuss what's happening..

The implants appears to be OK, no damage or anything out of place, there is a good amount of internal liquid ( swelling) and my tendons and ligaments are weak, the conclusion is that I've suffered a trauma to the knee, possibly caused by physiotherapy & the tripping and finally the strange movement in bed, this internal swelling is preventing me from bending/stretching and once it disappears my movement should improve, as the knee gets stronger and as the swelling disappears,as will that click too, meanwhile, I've been told to RIME, and watch movies, the doctor says that with patience I will eventually have my full function, however it's not a quick fix, he reckons by mid May I should be driving and hopefully by June noticeable improvements.

He has prescribed a anti inflammatory ( Randutil-Acemetacina) this I need to take for 1 month and a muscle relaxer to take at night plus the 1000g of Tylenol. I'm to start weening myself slowly off the Tramadol completely over a 2/3 week period so not to suffer side effects.

No physio for the next couple of weeks, then only walking just to improve my gait, I'm allowed to use my mini peddler in a week for short periods to keep the knee supple.

Feeling more positive, now that I know exactly the cause & cure, I just have to be patient, not driving is really hard as I'm dependent on others and but, hopefully soon I will see an improvement :praying:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom