Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

How's the knee looking for your trip tomorrow?
 
and having been constantly on BoneSmart for the last couple of years, I know recovery is difficult, however for some reason this time round I'm more impatient and seem to think things should be more advanced than they are which is frustrating to me, the set back really knocked my confidence, movements that were easier before are now quite worryingly difficult.

I can barely do heel slides, or leg raises, I'm walking quite peg legged and tire after a very short distance, I'm not concerned about the bend as it bends really well, but the movement between the bend and stretch is what I'm worried about. It almost feels like the new joint is too big for the space, my incision pulls as I do one movement to the other, the knee is incredibly tight - I'm probably overthinking and worrying unnecessarily but I'm looking forward to seeing the X-rays and my surgeon on my last consultation at the beginning oh March to put my over active mind at rest.

Oops! I accidentally hit this... I was catching up on your previous posts, & hit this before I read the rest of them. I’m so sorry your Dr is being so hard on you. At my first visit with my surgeon, he cautioned me that if, when I came for my follow-up, I did not gave enough flex & ROM, I’d be facing a manipulation, with a general anasthesia. Really scared me! I was just Sure I didn’t have the numbers he probably wanted, when I went for that first visit after surgery, tho my husband kept reassuring me. Then at that visit, my surgeon did an “eyeball” check, & said, “ looks good!” ( I think he was just stressing how important it was for me to do what I could on my end).

Then a couple of weeks later, my incision became infected ( my worst fear), & I had that general anasthesia with the cleanout surgery. I found that recovery pretty tough. I’m slightly ahead of you, and am Still working on getting that full ROM & extension, still not driving yet, and just recently ditched the cane when we walk ( tho I’ll be taking it when I grocery shop & we go to our Farmers Market in a few months). We’re going to try a short run this week or next ( once our snow clears a little better) to our Safeway nearby. There’s a few things I can only get there, but my husband will do our bigger shopping at King Sooper. I’ll try my hand at driving.... first time since early October! ( I was nearly there when this infection occurred in November. . And,I’ve been far more patient with myself this time around. Not easy sometimes, but it’s paying off. I’m fortunate that my surgeon has been encouraging, and I’m really sorry that yours has been so hard on you. I just want to encourage you, like our other friends here, that your knee will heal in its own time. It sounds like you have a good & understanding PT. Maybe he could give you some basic exercises to strengthen your leg muscles... my PT worked on that a lot, & at first it was really hard ( not painful, I just Really had to concentrate, but it gradually became more “ natural” to do, & really did help). My balance is still a little “ wonky” at times, but that will get there too.
I love the quote @ Four Cats used... “ Have patience with all things, but first with yourself”. I’m afraid I’m a lot like Hawkie, that’s a hard one to practice, & I find with myself most of all... perhaps that’s just human nature.

Your trip sounds lovely! We live about an hour from Rocky Mountain National Park, & love to go there,& have a lot of friends in Estes Park, which is right there...we’ve both always loved the mountains. Between the Pandemic & my surgery, we haven’t been able to go in far too long. It looks like this latest surge is about to peak, & things be a little safer before too long, so we’re hoping to make that trip soon. I’m so excited for you that you will get to see your daughter & her partner! That’s wonderful. I’m sure you will have fun catching up. Our son lives in Germany, & we did get to see him last year, but, as his girlfriend is from Italy, she was not allowed to come, at the time he came, only American citizens were allowed from abroad. But this time, she is allowed, (she had to have certain documents even then). We’re thrilled, as we haven’t seen her in over 2 years. I’m sure there will be many happy reunions off & on this year.
I hope you are feeling a lot of encouragement from everyone here. Being on this forum has been So valuable to me.....so very much wisdom, experience, good advice, & encouragement.... sure got me through not only the TKR, but especially that second surgery. I hope you are taking note to not be hard on yourself, and to see those “ little improvements “, most days. And know that there are a bunch of us rooting for you, and cheering you on, literally all over. Have a safe & wonderful trip .... and have a Delightful time with your daughter!
 
Sara, I am over 5 Mon and I still limp a little and walk stiff legged. Especially by end of day! Drs drive me crazy with their arrogance and condescending ways. Thank goodness they aren’t all that way but being a nurse, I’ve seen many that are .You are probably way ahead of me at 7-8 wks. I didn’t even come up my stairs until almost 2 mon and didn’t start cooking until that time either. It was somewhere between 2-3 mon before I stopped the narcotic pain meds.
Keep doing what you are doing and your knee will heal in its own time. I often get impatient myself and wish my knee was further along.
Enjoy your trip!
 
I've had a busy last couple of days so once again I've joined the ODIC club, but at least it has taken my mind off this knee, which is a blessing, I really need to focus on something else..
Anyway I discovered that my surgeon was kean to get off on his vacation (Virgin Islands in the US ) but nevertheless I still think his attitude was uncalled for and upon my next consultation with him as its the final one, I intend to speak my mind) as upon reflection he was arrogant and rude and completely dismissed my queries/fears he has now claimed a post surgery X-ray is no longer needed ....unless he has super powers how on earth is this not needed. He was also slightly annoyed that I was a non private client" as he actually had the nerve to comment that I was giving him extra paperwork.

So to explain in Portugal we have public free health care similar to the NHS in the UK, once we apply for surgery ( waiting list is 2 years ) and after the two years ( unless an emergency, then its straight away) they must operate within a 5 month time frame, if this is not possible, one is issued with a voucher to go privately free of charge to a private hospital (so the public hospital pays the private hospital) included in this agreement is the pre surgery consultation, Xrays, MRI scans m, etc, etc the operation, 2/3 nights stay ( longer if needed) and the follow up consultations 7 days, 15 days ( removal of the staples) 1 month, and 3 months plus I assumed the X-rays ( apparently not)

On my last consultation he told me a bilateral long X-ray was needed and would be booked, however the receptionist got the dates wrong and it turned out that my consultation was before the X-ray so they contacted me, to explain this but also to tell me that I would be billed directly for this X-RAY as they (the private hospital) were not prepared to pay for it.. at nearly 200 euros I refused as I can get it done free of charge via the health care system at a later stage, also I feel strongly that this should be a important part of the surgeons job for him to see if everything is correct .. anyway he has now declared he does not need it as by just looking at my knee he can tell he has done an amazing job :rotfl:

I'm fortunate that at the public hospital I'm still a patient and I have a consultation with their surgeon on the 3rd of March, he has agreed to get these Xrays, and he will view them, if something is amiss they will sort it out, he thankfully is humble and kind & in hindsight, I wished he had performed the surgery but alas just too busy I would have waited almost another year, so I'm relieved, I'm not just being abandoned.

So I now feel that on my last consultation I should speak freely maybe it's time someone stood up to this bully, but in reality sadly it's not in my nature so I will most likely leave without commenting ....
 
We arrived to our wonderful home in the North it is located in the National Park - Peneda Gerês and is surrounded by majestic mountains and reservoirs (lakes) its my stress free place with beautiful views.

We left our home in the South at 7am, I decided that the back seat was probably preferable as I could have my legs up on pillows, however in hindsight the front was spacious we have a BMW 320 saloon
Mali & I settled down to enjoy the 7 hour journey, we stopped several times for a leg stretch and coffee break, all was until the last 45 minutes, the road became curvy...I followed the advice to sit behind the driver...but I have never felt so car sick in my life, I literally hung my head out of the car window, and prayed the journey would end, the mountainous roads were just awful, its never been an issue in the past as I have been in the front of the car, but as my MIL was in my seat and the car overpacked it was easier for all for me to remain in the back.
I can honestly say never again, it took me all of yesterday afternoon and evening to get rid of the motion movement, everytime I lay down it felt that I was moving - weird..

Anyway we are here now, I've woken to the most beautiful dawn, my night was slightly interrupted as the bed is smaller, so between Mali and my pillows and my husband there wasn't much room for movement, it's the first time, in over 4 months that I've shared a room with him, but actually it wasn't too bad, we both claimed that neither snored :heehee: and we are both still talking haha

Now if I could only get Mrs. Knee to do her job and stop giving me grief life would be perfect.

Meanwhile I've got my paintings, beautiful views, my village friends & my daughter Gabriella about to arrive, plus Estrela, the serrano pony which is grazing on our land so I will thank my blessings.

Photos of "Estrela" the Serrano mountain pony, our village and my house and view from my bedroom

Wishing you all a pain free fun weekend and I thank you all for your continued support and uplifting messages, it means millions to me :roseshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211012-125839_Facebook_copy_265x268.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 169
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211012-123203_Owner_copy_270x204.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 158
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211012-123227_Owner_copy_432x244.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 154
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20220129_084545_copy_600x800.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
So I now feel that on my last consultation I should speak freely maybe it's time someone stood up to this bully, but in reality sadly it's not in my nature so I will most likely leave without commenting ....
Sara, you might think about writing a letter and copying the public system that referred you too this "surgical god". I sometimes find myself more effective that way as I can make sure and cover all my points and have time to make sure it's worded the way I want for maximum effect. In the mean time, enjoy all of that beauty, it should help take your mind off the knee.
 
What a beautiful and uplisting area! I pray your knee lets you enjoy it.
 
Wow, what a beautiful view! I would love watching the pony as well.....

I can relate about the car sickness. This is why I'm usually the driver when we go anywhere or at the very least, I have to sit in the front seat. I'm so sorry......I know that feeling well. I hope you can relax and enjoy the wonderful mountain views as you continue to heal.... Enjoy your daughter!!

Has your mother in law been taken home or is she still with you?
 
@Sara61 oh my goodness what a beautiful place and your home looks magnificent!
I agree with FC about writing a letter. Will help you to NOT feel intimidated and to get your points expressed properly.
Enjoy your trip! Your knee will let you know how much you can do!
 
@Sara61 Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing them.

So sorry the trip there was such a nightmare! I get motion sickness very easily and the back seat of a car is never good for me.

Hope that knee calms down. Maybe once you are relaxed it will take a hint! :heehee:
 
@Susie-Q - I would be so lucky :heehee: nope she is still with us, but at least here she is able to get out and see her relatives, the village where we built the house is the village she was born in, there are only 12 houses, 10 of which are various cousins, aunts & uncles. At the beginning of the village we have a tiny cottage, photo below, this is the house my MIL was born in, the property dates back to 1819 so is very old, here in the National Park we have to build to certain regulations, the windows need to be smaller and exterior walls of granite.
When my FIL passed my MIL divided the land /property with her two children, hence we built on this beautiful plot at the far end of the village, my husband also inherited the cottage at the beginning of the village, we have an American lady from Oregon living there, she has it on a long term rental for nearly 5 years now, she was very brave moving from US to the middle of nowhere but has settled very well into the village community

@Sks1997 Yes, I will once my consultations are over write a letter, I also think the lack of medication provided the 1st day in the hospital was barbaric, and also the failure, to inform me of the side effects of the Epidural, resulting in a visit to the emergencies as no-one answers the phone nor are the patients given a contact number for the weekend after surgery, this visit to their emergencies was charged to me, and it wasn't cheap, could have been avoided had the anesthesiologist explained prior, and the rudeness of the surgeon, lack of professionalism, I still think that not wanting an X-ray is bizarre as surely it is beneficial to see if everything is OK.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20220130-080452_Photos_copy_432x325.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 145
@Jaycey Thankfully tummy now settled :) :-) (:just wish this knee would too. I turned over during the night and it sounded/felt like a bone or a component moved, since then, movement is extremely painful, I cannot do a heel slides this morning, Im frankly fed up with the constant pain and lack of movement I tried to walk down the lane yesterday, I managed to the 1st house only, for some reason I'm quite nervous about it all.
Once I'm back home in the Algarve, I will ask my local hospital to take an X-ray as I think this will help my over active mind and at least reassure me one way or the other xx

Yesterday I had a couple of glasses of white wine,( first time in 3 months ) not recommended with medication but...anyway not sure if this is one of the reasons I had more pain last night.
 
@Sara61 Your knee is probably still suffering from that long car trip. I agree, if anything an x-ray will ease your mind. Meanwhile baby that knee - you know the drill!
 
Yesterday I had a couple of glasses of white wine,( first time in 3 months ) not recommended with medication but...anyway not sure if this is one of the reasons I had more pain last night.
I bet the wine instead of the pain med has a whole lot to do with the increased pain. Are you finding that the ice is helping any? I was addicted to it. I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down for the first couple of months.
 
Yesterday I had a couple of glasses of white wine,( first time in 3 months ) not recommended with medication but...anyway not sure if this is one of the reasons I had more pain last night.

Maybe? I stopped all pain meds less than a week after surgery (side effects were worse than the pain relief) and once nausea totally stopped, I returned to my daily glass of red with dinner. No problems. Of course it is possible that the combo was the issue too.
 
@sistersinhim Yes, Ice does help, and I'm icing frequently throughout the day, however whatever I did during the night has left me unable to sit down unless I stretch my leg out gently lower myself onto the chair & then with both hands gently guide my knee into a bend.
Once bent it is fine and I have a good bend but the pain related to this movement is probably a good 7/8 even after taking medication. I'm also having trouble lifting my foot of the ground on its own, I get a pain that goes from the outer side of my knee right up towards my thigh... would I have accidentally pulled a muscle?
Anyway I'm going back on full medication for the next couple of days and will ice frequently, and rest it, and if not better by the time we go home I will get it investigated as I didn't experience any of this with my left knee.
Today I had no wine & pain after medication is still 7 ish out of 10 - :beg:praying for improvement tomorrow as the pain and lack of movement is occupying my every thought at the moment, I'm almost 2 months post surgery, hoping I'm not worrying unnecessarily.
 
Unfortunately, it is not unusual to wake up with a new pain after a replacement. We can do some weird movements during our sleep that will tweak our new knees in a way that angers them. Try icing and elevating as much as possible until your pain settles down.

Having a different recovery than your first knee isn't unusual either. Your doctor might have had to do a whole lot more work on this one than he did the first one. That would certainly cause more pain and a slower recovery. Please try not to worry too much about it. If you don't improve in a few days or a week, maybe you should go to an urgent care place.
 
So as this saga continues with my right knee, I'm hoping that if someone with something similar will gain from my sharing my journey.
We came North on Friday, the beds are smaller and in the middle of the night I turned over, felt an noise of something clunk and felt the most intense pain, I rolled out of bed, waited, in a sitting position for a good 15 minutes for this pain to subside, stood up & took a tylenol as I had taken Tramadol 3 hours earlier I then spent rest of night with the knee bent in a fetal position with a pillow. Since then I can't without intense pain and without the use of my hands straighten the knee or if I'm standing and want to sit, I have to push leg out in front, lower myself slowly using both hands to guide the knee into the bend position and only after a clunk will it fully bend, I get the most severe pain from just below the knee (shin to the top of my thigh) once bent its fine, yesterday I iced, rested and medicated, last night I was only able to sleep in the fetal position, and same problem persists again today, I would say in this movement my pain level goes beyond 10 but subsides as soon as movement is done.

This morning after many tears and immense pain, I rang my physiotherapist he works at the local hospital and in the morning he assists the surgeons, fortunately at the time of my call he was beside a knee surgeon, they suspect from my description that I have upset the tissues around the polyethylene spacer and this due to the movement in bed might be slightly out of alignment, I've advised to use heat instead of ice, as apparently the inner tissues don't respond well to ice as the swelling will be on the interior and to rest as much as possible with the knee slightly bent, so not to strain it, I'm to use both crutches for the next 4 days, increase my medication and on the 5th day if there is no improvement I'm then to go to the local hospital for further investigation but they are fairly certain that this is what has happened.

I'm going to do as they suggest and :praying: that by the time Gabriella arrives on Wednesday night, this will be nearly better, these knees are so sensitive and this journey is exhausting, both physically and mentally, I'm truly sick & tired of this knee, hoping in the future it will get better, being positive is important but at the moment hard to achieve.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom