TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

I have a headache, probably tension, lack of sleep etc etc, you would think, however with all the pain killers I'm taking, they would also target the head, I'm taking Paracetamol ( Tylenol) and Tramadol surely one could relieve this :gaah: :hairpulling:
 
I'm sorry you have a headache, @Sara61. Hoping this too shall pass quickly.

Can someone please explain this chicken piri piri (that autocorrect wants to change to Siri?) :heehee:

I remember watching an episode of Somebody Feed Phil, Phil Rosenthal's travel food show. They did an episode in Portugal and everyone was so friendly. He would be highlighting one of the local restaurants and the owner of another one across the street would come over and share their food with everyone too. Such a lovely community of people.....
 
@Susie-Q Piri-Piri derives from the malaqueta plant ( a type of red chili) here it is mixed with olive oil and other herbs and then the chicken is marinated in it, the restaurants use small tender chickens which are then barbecued, If you like it extra hot, the same marinade is then served in a bowl for you to pour over the chicken prior to eating. It's very traditional in the Algarve.

Thankfully headache passed, knee seems slightly easier, so hoping if I'm a good girl and make sure I rest etc, for the next couple of days it should hopefully be back to where it was prior, it's still very swollen & stiff thou.
 
@Sara61 Years ago, a friend gave me a recipe for a "traditional" Portuguese fish stew that included instructions for making piri-piri to add when serving. (I made some last weekend, in fact).

Is this the same thing as the marinade for the chicken dish? I'm looking for something new to make!
 
@benne68 I would think so, the Portuguese add piri-piri to most dishes. Another favourite of mine is King size prawns pre- marinated in beer, piri-piri, garlic & paprika then either pan fried or grilled in Olive oil and chopped cilantro.
 
@Sara61 I actually have the traditional copper cataplana pot to do the seafood or chicken cataplana, both of which I have made, the seafood one would be my favourite. I even have a Portuguese cookbook that is written in both portuguese and english, it also has a brief history of the recipes which is fascinating. In fact , pre Covid there was a proper Portuguese restaurant about an hour away from my house , the owner is married to an Irish girl and the owner and his staff are Portuguese, they even installed the open fire grill. We would go to eat there at least once a month and oh the piri piri sauce!
It is on my list of places to go once the peak of Omicron has levelled off a bit more.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
 
6 weeks post surgery, the straight line was my expectation for my 2nd knee having convinced myself, it was the stronger, (I had done pre-surgery physio, same surgeon, same hospital,) - however how mistaken I was, no two knees are similar nor are the two recoveries. I have since learned not to compare the two knees ( only discourages one self)

I have cancelled my PT sessions, this knee isn't ready for it, all I was doing was upsetting it and in turn upsetting myself, it will heal itself in the time it needs, I have no commitments other than get it better for the future.

After a traumatic last few days, pain, stiffness, irritability etc, the knee seems to be slowly back on course, the bend/straightening process is still troublesome but now doable (the set back did it no favours) but hopeful it now will start to heal and I can get some normality back in life, I do so miss not being able to drive as where I live a car is a necessity, and 6 weeks being cooped up and dependable on others is a long time.

So for any newbies starting this journey, take my advice and do it slowly as its sure one huge rollercoaster ride :tiredwheel: with lots of squiggles along the way.
 
I know this is off the topic of knee recovery but do any of you have any good scallop dishes you make? I've got 2 bags of frozen scallops and I normally do them with bacon and garlic and seared in a pan with spaghetti squash Alfredo but I'm open to new ideas...... :eyebrows:
 
I like to fry them in butter with a light flour coating and then add a Breurre Blanc sauce.
 
YEA, knee is back on track, after 5 days of literally doing nothing but icing and resting and medication, I'm now able to bend and straighten it, albeit slowly. Unfortunately try as I might elevation is not for this knee, but swelling isn't too bad and icing helps a lot.
I'm still walking very stiff legged but hoping with time as the bend comes more naturally, my gait will improve.
So positive thinking, hopefully now I can head towards my goal of driving in the next couple of weeks, most likely week 8/9 if all goes well. :praying:
 
@Susie-Q I've only ever had scallops once, here they are extremely expensive and we had them in seaside restaurant in the North, they had been grilled in their shells, they were delicious, so sadly I cannot help you with any recipes xx
 
I do so miss not being able to drive
I fully understand. We live in the sticks, and have to drive at least 15 minutes, and often longer, to get to any kind of shopping, other than a gas station with overpriced junk. I haven't been able to drive for so long, and am looking forward also to driving again. I hate having to be driven everywhere, I want my independence back! You'll soon be driving again, and will cherish the independence, and the return to a more normal lifestyle, even more after having been curtailed for some time.

I'm glad to see you realized PT was causing you more problems, and not helping, and that you had the courage to end the sessions. For many people, formal PT doesn't help, and sometimes hurts, but it's hard to get past the narrative that we must have it after knee surgery. Some people go to PT and enjoy it, and that's great, but for those of us who aren't helped by it, and some who are actually set back in recovery after each session, saying no is hard to do, but well worth it.

I had the home health/ PT in yesterday, all I allowed her to do was remove my dressings and check my surgical sites. She wanted to measure my ROM, and have me do some exercises; guess who won that "battle"......:heehee: It wasn't really a battle so much as she asked me to do some formal exercises, I declined, she also came at me with her goniometer, I told her to put it back...lol. She was slightly surprised, but nicely complied.

Understanding our limitations, but seeing where we can push ourselves without causing additional pain is a good thing, and one that's a delicate balance. You're doing great!
 
Trying not to worry myself needlessly, but I still haven't recuperated the ability to easily stretch to bend or lift my foot up off the ground, plus I'm still walking extremely stiff legged, - basically everything I was able to do earlier last week :chinstroke: although it is very slowly easing but it is still really painful if I stay in either position too long ( sitting with it bent of lying with it straight) definitely feel I've knocked my recovery back a couple of weeks but just fearful I've damaged something, I've got a bilateral knees X-ray on the 17th of February and final consultation with surgeon on the 2nd of March so if its still not better by then, hopefully it can be sorted.
My gut feeling says I've upset the muscles/ligaments as it bends ok and my ROM seems to be very good so :praying:that is all that is wrong with it.

I went shopping yesterday evening with my husband but gave up after 30 minutes, as I felt a bit unstable even thou I had both crutches with me, the week before, I had been out with a friend for 2 hours with just 1 crutch so a huge difference with no side effects, last night I paid the price, knee was very unhappy.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom