Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Sara61, how could the meniscus be upset? You've had both knees replaced, and neither knee has a meniscus anymore. Perhaps they meant the polyethylene spacer that replaces the meniscus? If so, how could a piece of plastic be upset?

Is it possible that the people you talked didn't know, or had forgotten, that you've had both knees replaced? If so then their advice might be completely inappropriate.

Good luck.
 
@WFD the actual spacer isn't upset its the ligaments and everything else around it that is upset, the actual spacer is catching so that is the clunking I'm hearing and pain only subsides after I've clunked it, then I'm able to bend the knee. So I think the doctor meant polyethylene spacer, he's Portuguese so could be language barrier. But thanks I will now check this out x.
Update just spoken to the physiotherapist and he said he meant the polyethylene spacer, it's the soft tissues around it that are upset, the clicking is because this probably it is slightly out of line, once internal swelling diminishes, the bend should be less painful, if not then further investigation will be made.
 
Last edited:
I’m so sorry you are having such intense pain. :console2:Do the best you can to rest. Be careful with the heating pad, as it can increase swelling, this early in recovery. When not using it maybe an extra blanket wrapped around you could give it some gentle warmth. Is your house warm enough? My knee still bothers me in cold weather, even inside a house if the temperature is set too low for my drama Queen knee’s liking. For this reason I keep my house fairly warm, but when I visit my kids, their homes are much colder, and my knee doesn’t like it. (And I’ll be 5 years post op in March!)

I‘m glad your daughter will be there soon, I hope you get a lot of comfort from being with her. :console2:
 
Hoping the next few days of rest, ice and pain meds will help things settle down.....:console2:
 
I agree with Jockette to watch out for extra swelling with using heat. I pray this settles down for you and you can enjoy the time with your daughter.
 
Well it does make sense that if you have internal swelling there is more pressure on the spacer. I hope the heat and rest eases this. I'm so sorry the pain level is so high.

Please keep us updated!
 
@Sara61, try to enjoy the trip while resting the knee. I hope that the pain settles down soon. Did the physio mention how to align the spacer that is out of whack or will that happen naturally?
 
@hawk2go Yes, he did, worst case scenario if this continues either, they will force ( jolt) the knee into place and if that doesn't work, then unfortunately they will have to reopen the knee, thus me having to go thru recovery once again.

This morning I've noticed a wee improvement, I'm able to lower myself into a semi bend and once it's clicked ( that's the most painful part) I can then sit down.

I slept with the knee bent as instructed, this morning I'm finding it hard to straighten, when lying down I still have to use both hands to bring it back to the point of the click once its clicked it bends, so there is definitely something out of place, I assume its bending easier as the interior swelling reduces.

A quiet day in bed with Netflix, a few books planned, hoping if I'm a good girl in the next couple of days. I can overcome this, at least the scenery from my bed is gorgeous, today we have a family of cows in the field below, there is a baby one too, I have zoomed in with camera but actually there is two fields below our terrace.

I'm sending my husband off to a luncheon party at friends in the village, I was invited, but as today's menu is Pig's ear, I have politely declined, although the host would have made something different for me, however it's all country men, I think they would all relax more if I'm not there, plus Carlos is on holiday too so he deserves some fun.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20220201_082759_copy_600x800.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 162
That is a lovely view! I hope it won't be long before you can join the festivities with the rest of the family. Keep us posted.
 
@Sara61 What a lovely view! Last night we watched Wild Portugal on National Geographical! It looks just amazing! I love the wild horses especially! I thought of you!
I hope the heat and meds do there thing and you are back up and at it again soon! I am at 11 weeks today, and still struggling with the stiffness and soreness of this new knee!
Take care and enjoy your day!
 
Beautiful countryside! I love the mountains! I’m sorry you are having such a painful & difficult time with your knee. It hurts my heart to hear how much trouble you’ve been having. TKR is enough of a journey when things go as they are supposed to. Keep your chin up my friend. Sending love & prayers xxoo
 
Progress, After 2 days of really doing nothing, other than resting, watching movies and spending time in the sun, I've progressed that I can now sit without stretching my leg forward, but still extremely painful & the knee only relaxes after I've passed whatever is making it click ( there is definitely something catching, maybe a bit of the spacer out of place.)
I'm back using two crutches, fortunately one of my neighbours had a spare one as I only brought one on holiday with me.
Knee very sore to touch and extremely stiff, hopefully in a couple of days this too shall relax. I'm definitely going to get the Xrays done once I'm back home & if anything is out of place, then the surgeon will jolly well hear about it, as no-one should dismiss pain and say its in one's head, maybe had he not been so vain, this obstacle could have been avoided.

Just shows you, how sensitive these knees are, I had a good beginning, I was able to lift the knee quite high, do heel slides and then one odd movement undid everything I had achieved.

All I can do for the moment is be positive, enjoy my daughters company for the next few days, rest & hopefully heal, I so need normality in my life once more.

Sending hugs to you all, its so good knowing that you all care xxx

I've just finished this painting and dedicate it to you all, you are my faceless Angel xx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20220124_121815_copy_600x800.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 163
Knee very sore to touch and extremely stiff
Is your knee red or warm? Glad you are seeing a bit of progress. I know it's boring not being able to do anything. But as you know that knee is now in charge. Hang in there!
 
Room with a view! What a lovely talent you have Sarah. The Angel painting is very poignant and I am so glad you are still able to paint at this very trying time. I am sorry you are in so much pain and now have to worry about what’s ahead when you were doing so wonderfully. Sending healing hugs and hoping it’s a case of swelling going down and at worst an exterior realignment. I wonder if a light brace in place once it’s clicked help with walking? Feel better soon.
 
@Jaycey it is warm to touch but no redness, but keeping an eye in it.

@patriciad, not really talented sadly, its a pbn ( paint by numbers) but I get many hours of enjoyment from them, really helps relieve any stress.
Fingers crossed, small improvements daily, once I get it x-rayed I'll know more, at the moment it's hard to know whether I should be moving more or lying down and resting, once rested, its difficult to get moving.
Trouble is I'm very impatient with myself so a whole new learning curve.

Photos of my knee, this is me standing straight, yet my knee/leg looks anything but. Plus the pain comes from the outer edge of the knee and this on the photo appears to be dented
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20220201_123655_copy_600x800.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 149
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20220201_123714_copy_600x800.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Oh Sarah that knee looks like it’s hurting! I can see how you must be suffering and just a huge amount of patience to rest and ice are needed until you can get an X-ray to see what’s going on. I have to disagree with the “no talent” as I was gifted a PBN last year and it turned out a real mess by yours truly. You need a good eye and a deft hand for sure. Thinking of you and hope you get some sleep tonight.
 
I am sorry for all your pain and suffering Sara. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Pain can totally consume us and affect everything in our lives!
 
Back
Top Bottom