Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

The roller coaster strikes again! What you're experiencing seems very normal to me. Some days we can conquer the world, the next day we can only lie around icing and elevating! The good news is the good days will eventually far outnumber the bad days, but at 6 weeks, you have a bit to go yet before you get there. But, you're doing well overall, so now you just need a big dose of patience. That, IMHO, is one of the hardest parts of this recovery; your brain is raring to go, but your knee has it's own agenda, so the knee always wins.
 
@Sara61 Oh dear, I am so sorry you had a near fall and set back. I had that with my most recent THR and I understand completely the nagging worries and frustrations of losing ground. It took me days to accept it PLUS I needed to return to my cane for several more weeks.. but things did
s-l-o-w-l-y improve. Then as usual with our healing,, one day it just felt like a normal recovery again.
I know you well know this but try to be patient and kind to yourself. :console2:
 
@CricketHip & @lovetocookandsew I'm my own worst enemy, deep down and having been constantly on BoneSmart for the last couple of years, I know recovery is difficult, however for some reason this time round I'm more impatient and seem to think things should be more advanced than they are which is frustrating to me, the set back really knocked my confidence, movements that were easier before are now quite worryingly difficult.

I can barely do heel slides, or leg raises, I'm walking quite peg legged and tire after a very short distance, I'm not concerned about the bend as it bends really well, but the movement between the bend and stretch is what I'm worried about. It almost feels like the new joint is too big for the space, my incision pulls as I do one movement to the other, the knee is incredibly tight - I'm probably overthinking and worrying unnecessarily but I'm looking forward to seeing the X-rays and my surgeon on my last consultation at the beginning oh March to put my over active mind at rest.
Tomorrow will be beginning of my 7th week, on my last replacement in 2019 I was already driving :sad:

Plus side I'm sleeping well, I have reduced the pain Medications. Tramadol only at night and paracetamol (tylenol ) twice during the day.

We are heading to the North of Portugal on Friday namely to take my MIL back to her home, but also to get our holiday home ready for Summer rentals, plus my husband deserves a much needed break, he can hike for hours endlessly in the Mountains, our home is located in a National Park known as Peneda do Gerês, the scenery is outstanding, sadly I won't be hiking on this trip but weather looks promising so I can enjoy the views, plus I will have people around me to talk to. My daughter & partner will be flying over from England to join us for a Long weekend so, I'm super excited, as due to the pandemic, I didn't get to see them them at Christmas.
The only negative is the 7 hour car journey, I'm contemplating sitting in the back of the car, that way my leg can be raised on the seats, but as I tend to get motion sickness if I'm not concentrating on the road I'm a tad undecided.

Wishing you all a good pain free week :) :-) (:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211012-123243_Owner_copy_270x600.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 153
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211012-125921_Facebook_copy_432x576.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Your honesty is such a gift to me right now as I impatiently await my second replacement two weeks from today. Funny that right before I read your post, I read a quote from today St. Francis de Sales: “Have patience with all things. But first of all with yourself.” :hugzz:
 
The only negative is the 7 hour car journey, I'm contemplating sitting in the back of the car, that way my leg can be raised on the seats, but as I tend to get motion sickness if I'm not concentrating on the road I'm a tad undecided.

I have read that the worst place to sit if you are prone to motion sickness is in the backseat on the passenger side. My assumption is that sitting behind the driver is better .

Re. Driving, I have resigned myself to not being able to drive as soon the second time around. :sad:
 
Sitting in the back & being able to out my leg up would be the only way I’d make it on a 7 hour car ride. I’m sorry you are having a difficult time right now. My first TKR I had a difficult time! It is not fun! Keep your chin up Bone sister! At least MIL will soon be out of your hair. That’ll be a mood enhancer right there!
 
Well, I will say the reason you were driving by now the last time is your first TKR was your left knee and this time it's your right. That will automatically take longer because that's the leg you mostly use as you drive. Remember, Sara, you are only 7 weeks, still early days. Your knee is also healing from your last shenanigans you had with it. This too shall pass. Time, ice and patience.....frustrating as it is.

I agree with @Rubyroo on the car ride, you'll want to be able to stretch that leg out. I'm assuming you don't have that leg room in the front seat? It will be wonderful to see your daughter.... :loveshwr:
 
@Sara61 - That's some view, what a wonderful trip to look forward to as you continue to rest your knee.:) :-) (: You may think that the knee is fully rested while the knee may have other thoughts, hahaha.

iirc, other Bonesmarties have used pillows and boxes to prop their legs during a drive and stopped frequently to stretch. Also, it took a couple extra months for me to feel comfortable driving with this TKR, as mentioned because this is my driving leg. Since I live in the city, driving is always a competitive sport and I needed to be confident that I could react very quickly to sudden moves from others (drivers and pedestrians). When I did start driving, I was definitely ready physically.

I've had to practice patience quite a bit during this recovery and practice it is because I'm not very good at it, but am getting better. Join me in relentless pursuit of patience.
 
Last edited:
@Sara61 Do you have an ice machine? Some of them run on a battery in addition to electricity. If you have one of those, bringing it in the car and using it during the long drive may be helpful. Also, if you have a Lounge Doctor, that might be helpful. or, bringing ice packs in a cooler could be helpful, at least for part of the drive until they melt.

I'd also suggest using both for a time now to see if they help with your current issues. Or, at least ice and elevate as you did right after your surgery.

Beautiful pictures!
 
Well I'm feeling slightly indignant....I had my 7/8week consultation with the surgeon today, he was not overly happy that I was walking stiff legged with 1 crutch, when I told him I had problems with the bend to straight movement he basically told me it's all in my head and that there was nothing stopping this movement other than my brain...
He has now contradicted himself and said I should be going to physiotherapy, upon my saying he told me it's not needed, his reply well obviously in your case it is ...you need to learn how to walk :sad:
As my hubby was present, he is now nagging me to move and force the bend
In all fairness I have a good bend when it is bent and can sit for a long period with it bent and vice versa, but it feels really hard to lift it, or straighten it on its own, and walk normally so now I'm left doubting myself :gaah:
 
so now I'm left doubting myself
Noooooooo! Please don't listen to anyone. You are recovering at your own pace - nothing wrong with that. And tell hubby you are listening to that knee. No forcing - you know that doesn't work.

PT wasn't working for you earlier was it?
 
Reading your post I feel your pain and sadness and frustration. Shame you hubby was present but you might need to sit him down and have another good talk with him about how you feel. At 7 weeks I was still using two crutches outside the house and one inside the house. I did have a set back at week 3 when I overstreched the ligament and needed to give it time to repair. You have been here before so and you know how hard it can be and you know no two knees are the same and if this knee is recovering slower or different then your consultant and husband will have to accept that. I know you were looking for some helpful information from your consultant and clearly did not get it. I don't know how you remained polite when he implied it is all in your head!!! I would have been so cross. I really don't know what else to say other than your Bonesmart friends understand and have your back. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
 
@Jaycey I just spoke to my friend the PT guy, he told me that, The movement will sort itself out once the knee is fully healed and by forcing it at this stage will only cause swelling & pain & said the surgeon is being vain and out of order.
Thankfully he is a friend of my husband so he will put him straight.

@Carol Anna Stupidly I get all nervous in front of the surgeon, could be a language barrier as his English is diabolical so we held the conversation in Portuguese, but I felt rather foolish limping out of the surgery instead of walking tall as he said I should be. Fortunately I have learnt sufficient with knee number 1 and from all you lovely Bonebuddies that every recovery is different and only we know how and why our knees are not doing what the text book says they should be doing.
I will let my knee heal in its own time, I have no marathon to compete and my surgeon will just have to stop being so vain. But yes I was tempted to answer back but politely held my tongue. Sending a huge hug back to you too xxx
 
@Sara61 , you do you. Don't let anyone standing or sitting in front of you with knees that haven't been touched with a knife, saw or hammer tell you to push yourself. That includes the surgeon who has experience and knows every knee is different and every person heals differently. I swear these God complex Dr's are offended if a patient doesn't appear before them as superman or woman. Geesh!
 
@Sara61 I learned a long time ago that doctors don't always have the answers, nor do they know everything. I do my best to find doctors who are humble, not afraid to admit they don't always have an answer, and not afraid to admit if they're wrong. But, if you aren't blessed with one of those, then standing up to them is often necessary.

Your doctor seems to want something from his patients that makes him look good, or feel good, or both, regardless of your knee's own schedule for healing. If you have to see him again, and your knee still isn't making him look good, then I would say you shouldn't bite your tongue; rather I suggest you politely tell him something along the lines of "My knee is healing at it's own pace. Just because you want it to heal quickly doesn't mean it agrees. Therefore, I'm not going to allow you to browbeat me with your desired schedule, so please refrain from doing so in the future."
 
he basically told me it's all in my head and that there was nothing stopping this movement other than my brain...
It's this statement that really annoys me. Did he say this because he doesn't know why you have pain when you bend? Rather than admit to not knowing, does he then blame you, the patient. Really kinda despicable, if true.
 
I just spoke to my friend the PT guy, he told me that, The movement will sort itself out once the knee is fully healed and by forcing it at this stage will only cause swelling & pain & said the surgeon is being vain and out of order.
Thankfully he is a friend of my husband so he will put him straight.
Sara, I know that you know the above is correct, you just need to give yourself permission to believe it. The only person you should be listening too about your knee recovery is yourself, no one else understands what YOUR knee needs. Be good to yourself and listen to your body, you know the routine, don't let anybody else drive your decisions.
 
I think we all get nervous in front of surgeons and PT's - I certainly do. There is an inner child that wants to do well and be told I am doing well but also to be sympathised with when I am not. Its that child always looking for a gold star but for my knee I now only look to my bonebuddies for that gold star and you certainly get one from me. I love @lovetocookandsew 's suggested comment to surgeon. Take care and get well.
 
I am so sorry things aren’t going well at the moment. I wish I could wave a wand & make it all alright for you! I think I would’ve started to cry in the Dr.s office because I’d have been so angry & upset & flabbergasted at what was being said! My husband would be nagging me as well if he would’ve been in there & that would upset me even further because I would be feeling like no one “had my back”. Know that the sun :SUNsmile: is still there Sara61, it is just behind the clouds right now. Keep BoneSmartin’ it & it will come. You know what the right way is- just have the patience to follow the yellow brick road. And pay no attention to the Wicked Witch or any flying monkeys because us BoneSmarties ”got your back”!
 
he basically told me it's all in my head and that there was nothing stopping this movement other than my brain...
This bothers me too..... I'd like to see him go through a knee replacement, have a setback and be told it was all in his head...... :hissy:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom