PKR 2happy's Recovery<<'

@Anu'sNees Thanks! Starting a new medication was hard for me. As a RN, when you know too much info it can make decision making difficult. I have people say don't take gabapentin and others say to take. I had hard time getting off pain meds so I was hesitant starting new Med. Having PT stopped is a relief !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@2happy I hope you get some relief. Take advantage of no PT and give your knee a much needed rest. I can attest to the fact that your knee will get better without aggressive PT. Best of luck!

@Mireille. Oh I am relieved to not have to do PT, I read your threads... envious [emoji4]. I hope your recovery continues. I am taking it easy and following the rest/ice/elevation BoneSmart way!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It takes tremendous courageous to have a TKR. Not only do we have to weigh the pros and cons of the surgery itself, we have to weight the pros and cons of countless decisions following the big one! And making a decision in a area that we know so little about takes courage! So good for you for drumming up the courage to decide to take a medication that could be helpful. And good for you to allow yourself some time to see how your knee can heal without the pain and sometimes violence of PT. This is said with much respect for those good PT people who really want to help us have good results with our surgeries.

@Anu'sNees. Thanks. The gabapentin has helped decrease the nerve pain. I hate taking medicine. I thought the PKR would take care of that issue. I am hoping with not having to do PT things will improve. I had told hubby back in February that PT made things worse... he like the PT would say no pain no gain. Well now I am paying the price! I hope is well with your recovery!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am now 2 1/2 weeks post injury or as my Ortho puts it 'made your knee angry'. I have been on gabapentin almost 2 weeks, the sharp stabbing 'nerve' pain has diminished. I have done resting/icing/ elevating. Yesterday I was walking around house without cane, unless knee became painful. Today I walked outside with cane for 10-15 minutes. Knee gets tight feeling and some pain on medial side (where pkr was). Of course I did r/I/e after walk. I feel like I have been setback 2 months. Trying to stay positive but it's hard. I wish I never had pkr, I pray it gets better
 
Your poor knee was continually inflamed and traumatized from aggressive pt. There's a lot of time that went on and you can't expect your knee to recover in a few weeks. Continue doing just a little walking and then back to the BS routine. It will get better. You are a prime example of what aggressive therapy does to a knee after a replacement. So many of us never exercised and have been blessed with a normal recovery. It was still painful, of course, but nothing like the agony of aggressive PT. You will continue to get better. It'll just take time!
 
It sounds like things are improving slowly. You're walking a bit unaided! Keep your walking at the same distance for now and in another week or so add 5 minutes. If that 5 min becomes painful go back to the original time. When will you be able to see a 2nd opinion if things don't improve?
 
@KarriB I am do for follow up 5/16 with Ortho. I am unable to walk more than 10 minutes with cane before pain..I don't niece it was all nerve pain, I can tell difference now. I am doing the BS way. I will not return to PT. I have learned now I am not going to be told what to do for my recovery !!
 
Pain returns if walk over 10 minutes I feel pain. When that occurs I stop walking and r/i/e.
 
I had a hard time walking any distance at first. What happens if your walk 10 min a few times a day?
 
Pain returns if I walk to much. I used to walk thru the pain as per PT. Now I stop, too afraid of pain. The gabapentin has helped but not 100%. Please tell me it will get better


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I started walking 2 months ago. I always tried to watch how much I walked because of my left knee, but I figured it's the best/quickest way to lose weight. So I started walking 10 minutes 2x a day and added 5 minutes every week.
 
@KarriB. I am working on increasing how many times a walk a day. The gabapentin is making me sleepy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that where ever you walk you need to get back. So use your phone timer, cut the time in half before you start out and turn around when the timer goes off.
 
@KarriB well I guess the extra walk Saturday got me, I did 3 walks.. The pain returned....big time, kept me awake..I have to admit I am discouraged & depressed.
 
Maybe it's time to look at a second opinion from a revision specialist...
 
@KarriB. Saw Ortho 5/16, half hour discussion of options. Ortho doesn't feel conversion to TKR would be of any benefit. Discussed cortisone shot, again I said no due to that shouldn't be answer every time I have pain. Gabapentin was increased to 600 mg at night and 300 mg daytime, Med makes me loopy and forgetful. He said and I quote ' this may be as good as it gets' and 'you need to increase activity and live life and adapt to disability' !!!
Husband was present and we both were shocked. I told Ortho I felt he was giving up on me and making me feel that the pain I am experiencing is in my head. Ortho apologized and said 'I will see you in a month and we will decide together next step'. Left clinic, cried for 2 days. Then got notice from workmen comp no more $ temp pay due to no medical evidence/documentation to justify $ !!!! I spent weekend trying to ignore pain and discomfort with walking and that leads to sleepless nights.
I am beyond angry, depressed and frustration. It will be huge issue getting second opinion due to workmen comp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom