PKR 2happy's Recovery<<'

ORTHO appointment was today, Xray' s of knee were okay. I could barely walk into clinic and Ortho doctor was standing at door and observed my walking. After lengthy discussion with Ortho and husband......said no to cortisone shot. Ortho doc believes I have aggravated the nerves in PT. I told him PT makes knee worse. So he stopped PT !!!! I was started on gabapentin for nerve pain. I had neuroma excised in November 2015. Also rest/ice/elevation until pain diminishes. Praying this work!!
 
Here's your chance! Ice/elevate/rest that knee the BoneSmart way! Don't even try exercising at home for a while. Go back and read/follow the guidelines again now that you don't have to go to PT.
 
I like that your OS actually observed you alking so that he would have a true picture of what is goimh on with your knee. Do as he says and relax for now. Ice and elevate that leg and just get up for visits to the ladies room. You still have time to heal.
 
Now, that's a doctor and believes in the Bonesmart way! I'm so glad you can now stop PT and not feel guilty. You will find yourself getting much better without it! Just take it one day at a time and do your light daily activities. You know the BS way, lot's of ice, rest and elevation!
 
KarriB, sistersinhim, newlybionic .....Thank you ! I am grateful to bonesmart community.
I am resting, icing, elevating! I am nervous about taking the gabapentin but started last evening, I slept 8 hours!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping that resting your knee as well as icing/elevating will decrease your swelling and pain. Remember to ice for 45-60 minutes for optimum relief.
 
I'm hoping that resting your knee as well as icing/elevating will decrease your swelling and pain. Remember to ice for 45-60 minutes for optimum relief.

Question: Ortho says I have nerve pain. What's better ice or heating pad?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Heat on a swollen area will cause more swelling. If the goal is to reduce swelling in your knee then ice is what you need.

@KarriB I have been resting/icing/elevating. I am taking the gabapentin and Tylenol. The sharp stabbing knee pain I had throughout knee with radiation to quad and hamstring has diminished. I am walking with cane and at only at a minimum. When should I try to increase walking? I am so scared the nerve pain will return. Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about any extra activity for a while. Your knee has been overworked by PT for so long I think it can't hurt to give it more time. But let's see what @Jamie says, I think she's around here somewhere.
 
I wouldn't worry about any extra activity for a while. Your knee has been overworked by PT for so long I think it can't hurt to give it more time. But let's see what @Jamie says, I think she's around here somewhere.

Okay, going to just keep resting/icing/elevating
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would give it a good amount of time. Continue walking around the house every hour or so, but you want to be sure to give it time to heal. I'd say at least a week of rest (maybe 2) then no exercises just walking short distances to see if the pain returns.
 
It takes tremendous courageous to have a TKR. Not only do we have to weigh the pros and cons of the surgery itself, we have to weight the pros and cons of countless decisions following the big one! And making a decision in a area that we know so little about takes courage! So good for you for drumming up the courage to decide to take a medication that could be helpful. And good for you to allow yourself some time to see how your knee can heal without the pain and sometimes violence of PT. This is said with much respect for those good PT people who really want to help us have good results with our surgeries.
 
@2happy I hope you get some relief. Take advantage of no PT and give your knee a much needed rest. I can attest to the fact that your knee will get better without aggressive PT. Best of luck!
 
@Mirelle I am taking advantage of no PT, so glad Ortho stopped it ( now workmen comp has doc order ) & taking gabapentin, hoping it will help. Knee swelling has gone down . Thank you !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom