PKR 2happy's Recovery<<'

I believe that's your problem, aggressive PT. You know that the BoneSmart guidelines stress gentle PT. Your knee hasn't had a chance to heal with this type of therapy. And it stays inflamed all the time. If you stop all PT for at least a month, your knee will heal better,your pain will diminish, your knee will swell less, and its movement improve. Less pain=more healing and movement!

Unfortunately I can't stop PT due to workmen comp, they will stop my disability check! I just returned from PT, met with therapist before session. Agreed to only do exercises that I am comfortable with, which was leg lifts. Everything else caused the severe sharp stab like pain in medial knee. I was told to rest, elevate and ice--- which I did all day yesterday and again today. Thank you for reply!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize that workmen comp forced you to take PT. While there, you can take it easier than you have been. Then at home, just doing your normal daily living activities. And you are doing the right things by resting, elevating, and icing!
 
Don't do any leg lifts or anything else at home. Rest, ice and elevate that knee.
 
One of the first things I was annoyed at in my "recovery" and has been mentioned already is that the people surgeons, nurses, therapists do not tell you what to expect. I am in my 6th month, aged 70 (though that is just a number!) and the first major thing was to keep on icing preferably with an ice machine. Keeping it cold do not put ice in but freeze water bottles. Last longer and are reusable. Next take your pain mess preferably OxyContin. Bathroom problems use sennakot and drink water and V8. Don't overdo the exercise it will be ok plus I still use cane as I do not want to fall again. Patience is the key here. Hope all better now.
 
One of the first things I was annoyed at in my "recovery" and has been mentioned already is that the people surgeons, nurses, therapists do not tell you what to expect. I am in my 6th month, aged 70 (though that is just a number!) and the first major thing was to keep on icing preferably with an ice machine. Keeping it cold do not put ice in but freeze water bottles. Last longer and are reusable. Next take your pain mess preferably OxyContin. Bathroom problems use sennakot and drink water and V8. Don't overdo the exercise it will be ok plus I still use cane as I do not want to fall again. Patience is the key here. Hope all better now.

@Duchess Thank you, I thought at 4 1/2 months I would be better. You are correct, they do not prepare you for recovery. I feel PT dies more harm than good but since this is workmen comp I can not stop going. If I am not improving by Monday I will be calling Ortho to be re-evaluated. I am tired from spoor sleep and stress. Again thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do any leg lifts or anything else at home. Rest, ice and elevate that knee.

@KarriB I am doing nothing but rest, ice and elevating. I am taking Tylenol, doesn't help. Have no stronger pain meds. NSAIDS upset stomach
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize that workmen comp forced you to take PT. While there, you can take it easier than you have been. Then at home, just doing your normal daily living activities. And you are doing the right things by resting, elevating, and icing!

Yes, workmen comp believes if you don't need PT , you can work! My adjustor is horrible, she stopped disability check at 8 weeks postop to seek 2nd opinion if I still needed PT. I was livid but nothing I could do about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you can continue that through the week with no more PT.
 
Just show up and pretend you're doing PT! They don't stand there and watch you, do they?
 
I hope you can continue that through the week with no more PT.

I have no PT until Monday. After doing nothing but rest, ice and elevation I woke and got out of bed, sharp shooting pain on medial side of knee with pain up to quad.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you can continue that through the week with no more PT.

After not doing anything yesterday I woke to sharp shooting pain on medial side of knee with pain in quad. I am not scheduled for PT until Monday. My question is do I need to call Ortho? He has suggested at last appointment that I was hypersensitive to pain
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases it's the soft tissue causing pain and not damage to the implant. But if your pain continues you should research WC and second opinions. It doesn't seem as if their OS and PT are doing you a lot of favors. There has to be some direction if you're unhappy with the care your receiving.
 
My medial side continues to give pain if I move it a certain way. I'm wondering if this is a slower area to heal. I suggest icing and rest! For your OS to suggest that you are hypersensitive to pain is insensitive. I bet he never had a pkr and can not relate to the pain it creates. Just continue to baby your knee!
 
In most cases it's the soft tissue causing pain and not damage to the implant. But if your pain continues you should research WC and second opinions. It doesn't seem as if their OS and PT are doing you a lot of favors. There has to be some direction if you're unhappy with the care your receiving.

Ortho appointment tomorrow! Got my list of questions ready and will ask for X-ray. I haven't had X-ray since surgery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My medial side continues to give pain if I move it a certain way. I'm wondering if this is a slower area to heal. I suggest icing and rest! For your OS to suggest that you are hypersensitive to pain is insensitive. I bet he never had a pkr and can not relate to the pain it creates. Just continue to baby your knee!

I agree about Ortho insensitive, that's why I wait to call office. I tried to wait out but I can't walk without pain
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to check it out. Let us know what you find out. If you are not happy with him, look for another OS!
 
Getting ready to head to appointment with husband. Yesterday I had pain so severe with trying to getting in bed, I cried for ten minutes. I am praying for answers
 
I hope the OS can help you out. No matter what he says I'm sure that you can get a second opinion fro an OS that is not part of the same practice. Let us know how it sent.
 
Back
Top Bottom