2015 September Sapphires - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] 2015 September Sapphires - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?
@Serenity12, you have been officially added to the September surgery list!
 
@BumbleB and @JanB I know what you mean about the mobic. I'm trying to slowly wean off my mobic and tramadol but am still taking the tramadol when it gets to be too much but that mobic does a LOT more than I thought it did. I don't HAVE to wean off tramadol, but I've heard from some that other pain meds reduce the effectiveness of the medications after surgery and I'm taking no chances. I don't think I'll be able to give up my bedtime dose though.
 
@PegGene,,,thanks..... I know exactly what you mean about weaning off meds and not realizing how much the "little pill" did until it is......not. ugh. Which, btw,,,only makes me realize how much I am resolved to having the surgery. 100 years ago it would have been a life sentence of pain and suffering and no alternatives. At least, I keep telling myself, I am deeply appreciative of the fact that we have these procedures in this day and age. I wish I didn't NEED the surgery, but I do. So, I am grateful that it is their for me.
 
Hello Sapphires! @JanB , this is so true.. we are indeed so fortunate. I don't remember if you said what approach your surgeon uses?
 
Hi. I got the call today. I was bumped from "sometime in 2016" to Sept 25 2015. Yay?

Posterior L THR after post trauma AVN in 1995 at age 20 and an osteotomy that flipped the head of the femur to allow viable bone for weight bearing. The 20 year leg length discrepancy and OA means I've been in fall risk PT since April and have never been able to walk in heels. I'll have the same therapist after surgery and later this week I'm telling him out goals are both heels and backpacking boots by my 41st birthday. Yay!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CricketHip,,,, the anterior approach on September1st. One night in hospital. There was someone in my "joint class" that was having a THR with a surgeon who does the posterior approach and the guy was getting really mad....("why do I have all these precautions that she doesn't have?" " why am I in the hospital 3 nights and she only is in 1"?). LOL. Hooray for the anterior approach


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all September Sapphires!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 September Sapphires - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 September 15 BumbleB, JanB
04 September 15 PegGene
08 September 15 Inlove
14 September 15 Shelby58
17 September 15 daniel95503 (his second)
21 September 15 CricketHip
23 September 15 Cynthia777
24 September 15 Doodles51 (her second)
25 September 15 Cherie
28 September 15 Kim22 (her second), Serenity12
29 September 15 Mimi#51, ploganea
 
Hi PegGene. Thanks for your reply.
After reading up in here, I find it interesting to see what caused everyone's hips to go out, how long you put up with suffering before going to a doctor, what measures you used to try to manage pain, and also are you still able to physically get around.

I have suffered back, sciatica and hip pain off and on for the past 15 years or so. Usually it would be for over exertion, and I could handle it with OTC Meds, heat, massage, and rest. Last year I decided to get a part time job working sales in a retail chain store. After a few months of standing on my feet, and physical tasks I performed, I would come home pretty much wracked with pain. I only lasted there six months, but still had pain. Lucky for me, my 30 year old daughter is a message therapist and could often times really help with my pain....then it became often times not. Finally, this past May, I went to see an OS and discovered I have osteoarthritis in both hips, with my right hip being pretty severe. I don't know why I was so shocked, as my father had 2 hip replacements in his later years. Anyway, I decided to start with a steroid shot to see if that would help. It did help.....for about a week. The pain came back even stronger, and that's when I decided last month that I need to get this surgery. My pain has worsened so bad that pain Meds just don't work. I use a cane but am so klutzy I can't get it down right most the time. So for the past 2 weeks I have been literally bed ridden. It has caused me to be severely depressed. I will be seeing my family doctor this week, and will address my condition with him, and hopefully get some relief.

Whew after writing all that, I thought maybe I should have started my own thread. Please let me know if I should move this. Thanks


hi Mimi#51...you have been through a lot,,,,,so sorry you are practically bedridden. I am in immense pain also, humbled beyond belief, although I had 3 steroid shots--the first 2 worked really well. My job wa also standing on my feet for hours, the pain became unbearable. So my surgery is scheduled for September 1st. I just turned 60 but feel 80. The only way I am able to walk is with two "quad canes", one in each arm. I know it looks dumb, but I am beyond caring at this point. I hope this helps, you are in my thoughts
 
Welcome @Serenity12 to the forum and it is brilliant news that you are having yours on the same day as @Mimi#51 and myself.To answer your question I would say that a rehab place would be a good idea especially if you are on your own.Do you know which procedure your surgeon plans to use and if he recommends hip precautions ?

Welcome @JanB sorry that you are in so much pain now that you have had to stop taking your NSAID.I am glad that you haven't much longer to wait.Hang in there as your time is almost here.
 
@Kim22,,,thanks for the kind words; for me the steroid shots worked really well, until they didn't. Mobil and a high Ibuprofen diet barely touched the pain but now they are out because, glory be,,,,I am in the last 10 days before surgery !!! This entire experience has been very humbling...
 
I am so happy to have found this forum! I am having my THR September 29th, one day before my birthday! I am so looking forward to walking rather than hobbling from place to place.
 
@Kim22
Thanks for your kind words! I'm going to be praying for you and @Mimi#51 through this journey, which will in turn help me to get my mind off me! My surgeon is doing a posterior-lateral approach. We spoke at length about it, and I trust him completely! He also replaced both of my knees 22 months ago. I've already made the arrangements to go to the same rehab facility where I went for knees. I feel relieved in settling on that decision! We are going to do great and are going to be fine!
God bless...:flwrysmile:
 
@Serenity12 Thank you I will be praying for you both.I am also having a posterior lateral which is the same as I had last time.To be fair I didn't have a choice as there are not too many surgeons in my part of the UK who do anteriors but from what I have seen on here both approaches are very successful.I am going on a Mediterranean cruise tomorrow and by the time I get back we will only have 2 more weeks to wait.Take care.
 
I am so happy to have found this forum! I am having my THR September 29th, one day before my birthday! I am so looking forward to walking rather than hobbling from place to place.
Welcome to our September Sapphires group.@ploganea I am having my second hip replaced on the the day before you and like you I can't wait to be able to walk normally again without a limp and walking stick.
 
I am going on holiday for 2 weeks (my first ever cruise) first thing in the morning so before I go I would like to wish all those having their surgery in the first half of September lots of luck.They are @BumbleB , @JanB , @PegGene , @Inlove and @shelby58 I hope all goes well for you and I will catch up with you on the recovery side when I return.
 
Welcome to this group @ploganea; what a birthday it will be for you ! I turned 60 in August and am having a THR on September 1st,,,,I do feel like it will be empowering. I've always been super active, now I can barely hobble around the house. I am in a lot of pain, and just want to get back in the game at this point
 
@JanB I'm on tramadol and tylenol, but I had to stop taking Mobic - let me tell you, I miss my Mobic. I didn't think those little pills did anything, but now it is extremely uncomfortable to go from standing to sitting, and it is getting worse. My doc did warn me I'd be in a lot of pain, but I thought he was exaggerating.


THREE MORE DAYS !!!! how long will you be in the hospital?? Then we "graduate" to post-op THR's !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom