2015 September Sapphires - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi PegGene. Thanks for your reply.
After reading up in here, I find it interesting to see what caused everyone's hips to go out, how long you put up with suffering before going to a doctor, what measures you used to try to manage pain, and also are you still able to physically get around.

I have suffered back, sciatica and hip pain off and on for the past 15 years or so. Usually it would be for over exertion, and I could handle it with OTC Meds, heat, massage, and rest. Last year I decided to get a part time job working sales in a retail chain store. After a few months of standing on my feet, and physical tasks I performed, I would come home pretty much wracked with pain. I only lasted there six months, but still had pain. Lucky for me, my 30 year old daughter is a message therapist and could often times really help with my pain....then it became often times not. Finally, this past May, I went to see an OS and discovered I have osteoarthritis in both hips, with my right hip being pretty severe. I don't know why I was so shocked, as my father had 2 hip replacements in his later years. Anyway, I decided to start with a steroid shot to see if that would help. It did help.....for about a week. The pain came back even stronger, and that's when I decided last month that I need to get this surgery. My pain has worsened so bad that pain Meds just don't work. I use a cane but am so klutzy I can't get it down right most the time. So for the past 2 weeks I have been literally bed ridden. It has caused me to be severely depressed. I will be seeing my family doctor this week, and will address my condition with him, and hopefully get some relief.

Whew after writing all that, I thought maybe I should have started my own thread. Please let me know if I should move this. Thanks
 
Hi @Mimi#51
Jeez, you have really had a time of it.. so sorry to hear that you are bedridden for now.. I swear by using the ice packs and use mine 4-5 times a day. The last steroid injection- guided by ultra sound- revealed a good bit of swelling in the joint and it was a huge light bulb moment for me. I didn't realize that a joint could swell on the inside that much and before surgery!! So, I began my ice regimen and it allows me to continue to work, albeit a shorter schedule. And my work is physical at times. Maybe yours wouldn't respond but hey, it's worth a try. Good luck and I am sure you join me in notching off the days until surgery!!
 
Hi Crickethip. Thanks for the ice pack idea, it sounds like a great idea. And good luck to you on your surgery.
 
Hi @Mimi#51 I've been dealing with pain in my hips since I was around 30 years old.(I'm 51 now). I went to an ortho when after I turned a certain way I had a sharp pain in my groin and the xray found I had mild arthritic changes. The pain continued to progress and I eventually went back to my doctor again and had an MRI which still showed mild arthritic changes, however the pain was severe mostly in my lower back down my thigh. I remember my GP was not happy with me because I felt the pain was more than the hip diagnosis so he begruggingly sent me for a back MRI and found I had a bulging disk and a bit of stenosis and "degenerative disks" (osteoarthritis). Long story short I've been putting up with increasing pain, limited mobility and difficulties doing such things as standing more than 5 min's, putting socks on, clipping nails, even getting undies on and shaving. My arthritis is now bone on bone in areas and huge spurs-both hips are bad but left is worse. The pain varies with the amount of activity and I'm not always in pain. I have never let it prevent me from doing what I want to do but I end up paying afterwards....I guess that's not true, I haven't gone snowmobiing in a few years (can't straddle or lift my leg up/out to get on anything....last time I rode a bike I had to lay the bike almost on its side to get on), haven't skiied, or ridden a 4 wheeler, danced, things like that I've stopped doing. I still garden-use trowel to push up off to stand up, still travel and go site seeing, amusement parks, etc. things like that but sit down and take breaks a LOT and am exhausted and in pain that night and next morning. I've tried injections (didn't like), PT and different medications which I still take daily but no narcotic level...mobic/tramadol. I've been considering resurfacing/replaement for about the last 10 years, it took me this long to feel ready...and I still waver 2 weeks before my date (9/4). With the new technology and techniques (anterior-my biggest fear has been dislocation) I think I'm finally ready. I know I waited far too long my muscles/ligaments are SO tight and shortened I don't know that they'll ever recover. Sounds like we have similar issues hip AND back pain and have been dealing with it similarly heat/meds/rest/massage (at PT for me).
 
@Mimi#51 I agree with @CricketHip on a) how much you have been through and b) the effectiveness of ice.I have just recently tried ice on my arthritic hip and it certainly takes the edge off the pain and allows me to do a few more chores.I hope it helps and if nothing else it is worth a try and can't do any harm as long as you ensure that you have a towel between the ice pack and your skin and don't use it for more than 20 minutes at a time.I do hope it helps
 
@PegGene You have also been through so much and for so long.I know what you mean about the effort of trying not to let the hips prevent you from doing some of the things you want to do and just accepting that the pay back will be an increase in pain later.I do exactly the same.You also listed all the activities you can not even contemplate trying and for that reason you have made the right decision to have a hip replacement now.You are nearly there and I send you all my wishes for your surgery and a great recovery.
 
@CricketHip - I found that ice only makes my pain worse. I have a heating pad both at home and at work, and there are days that's the only thing that keeps me comfortable, especially when my thigh muscles cramp up.
 
I also relied strictly on heat and used it daily for years and recently tried ice . I was pleasantly surprised how it really helped....I'm always cold and the thought of ice just made me cringe, but it has been so hot I decided to try it and it was helpful. I'm sure I'll be returning to heat this winter though for my backaches.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all September Sapphires!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 September Sapphires - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 September 15 BumbleB, JanB
04 September 15 PegGene
08 September 15 Inlove
14 September 15 Shelby58
17 September 15 daniel95503 (his second)
21 September 15 CricketHip
23 September 15 Cynthia777
24 September 15 Doodles51 (her second)
28 September 15 Kim22 (her second), Serenity12
29 September 15 Mimi#51
 
I also relied strictly on heat and used it daily for years and recently tried ice . I was pleasantly surprised how it really helped....I'm always cold and the thought of ice just made me cringe, but it has been so hot I decided to try it and it was helpful. I'm sure I'll be returning to heat this winter though for my backaches.
I also feel the cold and was never keen on the use of ice especially on an arthritic joint as I was under the impression that heat was more effective.I have always used ice for acute injuries but not for arthritis.The reason I tried it was on advice from my chiropractor and like you I was pleasantly surprised.I have now invested in gel ice packs instead of the packs of frozen peas that I used to use lol
 
I know I am going to have to ice after the surgery - which ice packs are recommended? I wanted to have them in the freezer and ready to go for when I get home from the hospital.
 
My hospital supplies a wrap that has two gel packs inside that wraps arund your hip (yours may too). They send you home with 4 of the gel packs so you can rotate. The ones I use at home are a CVS brand and it says gentle fabric cold compress on them, they work well for me, but I do know that some on this forum recommend another type/brand, I wrote it down but can't find it right now. Hopefully another member may know.
 
Hello everyone! I'm having TRH replacement on Sept. 28. Wondering if a rehab place is a good idea after since I'm on my own...maybe a week?
 
Hi Serenity12 welcome to this wonderful group. Looks like you, me and Kim 22 are having our surgery on the same day. I'm not certain how to answer your question, but I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.
 
Having THR September 1st,,,,60 years old and 1st surgery since I had kids!!! Very nervous, but looking forward to " getting back in the game". Have always been very active


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
September 1 surgery,,,, BumbleeBee, looks like we are having surgery on the same day !!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BumbleB---yes,,,,over and out of pain. I am in the final 10 days and my doc's office said absolutely no Ibuprofen, Aspirin, arthritis meds or anything that could affect blood clotting,,,,and Tylenol does NOTHING for me. Can not wait to start getting my life back,,,
 
@JanB I'm on tramadol and tylenol, but I had to stop taking Mobic - let me tell you, I miss my Mobic. I didn't think those little pills did anything, but now it is extremely uncomfortable to go from standing to sitting, and it is getting worse. My doc did warn me I'd be in a lot of pain, but I thought he was exaggerating.
 
@BumbleB ,,, sadly, I know EXACTLY how you feel. My doc didn't bother to mention this (the pain) ,,,but I suspected since I was on a high Ibuprofen diet combined with Mobic.... yes I miss my Mobic. (sounds like a blues tune, which is what it feels like)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom