Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Hello ladies!

I have just said on a pm to someone that, if I had been brave enough to watch that vid before the op there is no way I would have done the intense physio I did. Whoever said that their OS suggested physio only after 6 weeks recovery has the right idea. Trust me , if you think the scar in the surface is bad enough post op what is underneath is a whole other story.


Perhaps it depends on the country. My sister had her hip operation done in Spain and apart from a bit of walking in the hospital there was no physio at all until she'd seen the consultant at 6 weeks.
 
According to dr Google The loss is temporary and is at its worst 3 months post op. Might look at a shorter hairstyle whilst it sorts itself out.

Has it been mentioned on the BS forum before?

Love the idea of a Spouse/Friend/Partner/Family member Superhero thread on the Social Group! I think there is definitely a discussion to be had about what our partners have to be prepared for! For me it is strange living downstairs with hubby sleeping upstairs although I don’t miss the snoring and my room is a small hobble to the fridge. H says he can hear the post midnight tap tap of my crutches as I make my way across the tiled floors to the fridge!
 
Hi all — I also did a sink hair-wash two days before I even attempted the shower. I agree with you, @EL11, I would not attempt a shower on your own — again #likestolivedangerously much?

Here also — lots of almond butter on crackers, walnuts...etc. That’s my jam — or non-jam, as it were.

And yes, Albert is such a cutie.

I found some wonderful instant shampoo caps on Amazon! Like plastic shower caps and when you rub they shampoo your hair ! Magic! And they didn't irritate my very sensitive scalp. I'll try to find their proper name...
 
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
 
@1stSurgery
I am doing the golfers bend these days to feed the dog and cat (only for posterior hips) but still find water a problem. Several times its been all over the floor so I usually leave that for husband to do.
Talking of all over the floor, I tried to feed the dog in the early days. I used the grabber to pick his bowl up, no problem. The full dish is another matter and it ended up all over the door mat. Dog didn't seem to mind though and ate it all up :-)
 
Hi @1stSurgery
I hope you have a great day and enjoy the meal your sister brings today.
And most importantly, her company.
Have a good one!
 
I'm still troubled by the level of pain present and I have only the first surgery to compare so ...its normal I would. When the oxy is taking effect I'm happy and unaware of the pain mostly but when it wears off, like after a nights sleep...the pain is so deep and I'm back where I started, unable to really stand on that leg. It aches deep inside the joint anytime weight is put on it. I'm a week out tomorrow. Did any of you have that kind of pain a week out without other complications? Last hip I was off meds for 3 days by now and doing walks twice a day, just begun showering and doing stairs. I have no progress since surgery day when that PT lifted my leg across body and hurt it ...walking at hospital that day was just as bad. Last hip the day one hospital PT walk was pretty good as well as stairs. It just seems something is off even though doctor on phone said ..."normal, take more meds." Shouldn't it be improving other than just camouflaged by more pain drugs?

A week tomorrow and I'm in bed, on meds, still just taking bathroom trips. Does not seem right guys. Unless this one was just SOOOOO much worse than the other that no healing is manifesting in the first week. But last time I felt big changes occurring 6-7 days out. It's upsetting!

And your kitty is adorable @EL11! :)

PS I have not had the hair loss thing so it may be a side effect of one of the drugs that I didn't take? Or maybe from general anesthesia? I had spinal. Not sure.

Anyways, question is...how long can I just lay here medicating myself expecting it to improve? @SurreyGirl you saw the video...do you think this could be "normal" reaction? Each day feels less likely. Log leg is pretty swollen, not bruised except at incision area. All else is normal, no fever, tired as always, appetite good. Bizarre. :what:
 
i will start a THR Spouse Thread @SurreyGirl and @Alitm ..as soon as I figure this pain issue out, I think everyone has stories for that! Both the good and the less good! But they all had to step up and, especially the first week or so, play a pretty big role in the caregiving. In my case it's been very beneficial to the marriage in the end. Of course that's assuming I will get out of this bad pain here from #2 surgery very soon before he grows exasperated serving meals!
@Alitm....spouse "manure duties" should be interesting!! :rofsign:
 
Thanks @Layla for the list of protein foods. Think sister will bring dinner and hubby is setting a small cooler in bedroom now with hard boiled eggs and the like for lunch time. I have lots of snack foods in a big bin by the bed. Really hope to get walking soon and OUT of this bed. Really hope PT girl didn't injure me and that's impacting recovery. .....
 
@Bionic I've been using the grabber for kitty's small dish and it works ok but each time I feel perilously close to dropping it! She finds it amusing. She also thinks my Walker seat is a new throne for her to rest on, it has a seat cushion. She's a Russian blue and very picky about who she lets interact with her. They tend to prefer only one or two humans in their world. We adore her!!! A rescue kitty that my hubby saved one evening from coyote hour in the canyons. But petting her is difficult and can even be treacherous I learned last hip!
 
When the oxy is taking effect I'm happy and unaware of the pain mostly but when it wears off, like after a nights sleep...the pain is so deep and I'm back where I started, unable to really stand on that leg. It aches deep inside the joint anytime weight is put on it. I'm a week out tomorrow. Did any of you have that kind of pain a week out without other complications?

@1st surgery, my surgeries were closer together than yours. I asked a pt who came by after my right hip was done, whether the second side would likely be easier, and she told me "Every healing is different." Remember, even 6 months is not considered a long time for initial healing so your June replacement may well not be all wrapped up, and now you're depending on that side more.

It's been 10 days since my second procedure. I did do something reckless yesterday, i.e., panicked when I got the call that appliance delivery guys were on the way and hauled a certain 10-pound fluffball up 15 stairs to his room while holding onto the railing. I had a long sleep last night and woke up with a deep ache on the surgical side.Even before today, though, I was taking 30 mg of oxycodone a day, and expect that to be the case when I see the OS Tuesday. Last time, I also had my post-op appointment two weeks after and I was down to 5 mg for sleep. I will ask him about transitioning to Advil midday as a start, which the most recent pt suggested. These people have been so helpful and smart, I have to say.

You have to trust in your doctor, unless you genuinely have reason not to, I think. Nothing wrong with feeling upset, but you could have a turnaround at any time! Keeping good thoughts for that.

At this point I have had no hair loss. I got a spinal, FWIW.
 
.... and my room is a small hobble to the fridge. H says he can hear the post midnight tap tap of my crutches as I make my way across the tiled floors to the fridge!

Not thinking about it too much, and being on the cautious "Slow-- like ketchup " track, I used the walker around home week after week until--when I was trying to sneak around quietly early in the morning--I found myself carrying it, suspended in the air in front of me, from room to room in order not to wake hubby. It was one of those Homer Simpson "DOH!" epiphanies. Clearly, it was time to ditch the rattling contraption and send it back to the Red Cross.
 
Thank you @EL11, that's all helpful. I'm sure this recovery has added tension attached to it due to earlier promises made for work that begins in a few weeks and if it comes to it, I will have to cancel that and eat the loss. Health first. I'm an observer of nature and it seems rare to have a week go by in stasis, with no perceptible improvement. But hubby, the resident talker off the edge guy here, told me he thinks my perceptions may be skewed about that. That I'm just not seeing any dramatic improvements so I'm dismissing subtle ones. Which is possible, I admit. We all worry when we go through such an undertaking and are transporting this new precious cargo in our bodies....what if something went wrong and it's not working? I know the PT maneuver added pain on that day at least and possibly its lingering. I have to calm down and wait some more I guess. I trust my OS but he's impossible to reach! Last dr I consulted on phone was the hospitalist assigned to me, don't think I ever met him. And he was very assuring. Which lasted until I woke up today in that deep pain again! Hard to fathom the twins were so very different from each other....but it seems they were.

I can't imagine running the stairs with kitty right now! But last surgery I had an incident where I heard a loud crash upstairs and without thinking I ran up the stairs with no cane or even railing hold to see what it was! It was when I realized I was ready to start to go sans cane, but what a surprise! Everything was in nicely spaced increments on the June surgery hip. Every week had new progress. I will just wait for this one to do something... Tic toc tic toc.. :)
 
@An54 @1stSurgery — An54 gave me great advice when I was feeling super stuck at about two weeks. “Slow, like ketsup” was my self-declared speed. I have accepted this. But I have also improved!!! Slow, but yes, it is happening. Please, @1stSurgery , trust us that it will happen. Don’t worry.
Plus, please note that my doc last week told me that AVN hips will heal slower and with more pain.
BUT I AM STILL IMPROVING!

Yes, I posted in @EL11 ’s thread this morning that I had a rough night from too many stairs yesterday and yes I am tied to couch and ice today but with one exception (I did make muffins — your pumpkin puree inspired me and I made pumpkin muffins. Hey — a girl’s gotta eat.)

TRUST US — just get through this time. I trusted the bonesmarties and they (y’all) have helped me so much.
 
The Toradol specifically states that it's not to be prescribed for over three days so I doubt that will be refilled and maybe it shouldn't be.

Didn't know that about the three days- and I was about to call my OS to ask if Toradol might be a non-narcotic option for me.

Pain control has been frustrating to say the least. I learned in the hospital that I can't keep an Oxy down for even a minute. And 1-tab of Tramadol very nearly put me into respiratory arrest. My Dilaudid really isn't controlling my pain very well anymore, and in any case my OS indicated this would be the last of it.

All this as I am hoping to begin outpatient PT.

Then last night started to sweat (literally) what if I ever have to do the other hip. I will simply have to remember how many brave double-hippies we have here! Go @1stSurgery!
 
@1stSurgery please my love funny friend don't stress. My first one was awful in comparison to this one! I was on every med known to man and didn't eat for 3 weeks or leave the house. Running up the stairs without holding on! That is immense so it seems like you had a wonderful and unusually pain free first op. 3 days and no meds? Seriously my love read others post op threads and you are in no way any different from anyone else. You have had a very serious operation and your good leg still isn't really that! Please stop worrying, take your pills and rest. Oh and keep us entertained with your funny posts. Wish I could come over and give you a hug xxx
 
Awww I'm all verklempt here, you hippys are all so sweet and encouraging! It means so much to be reassured as you know....we all seek that ubiquitous "normal" thing. Please, just tell me I'm normal!! Not something I've ever really sought assurance about in real life! Lol. But in healing, yes.... I'm forever thankful to you all for your stories and coaching and kindnesses. My friends, family and hubby are also saying similar things. I'm always telling people to chill and need to heed my own advice a little more.

Also the body has its capacity limits and so much of the healing energy is preoccupied still doing the bone building dance over at hip #1... Stands to reason there must only be so much left to address hip #2. Us double hippies may experience that when second one is within the year. I can't be daunted by my deadlines anymore either because that's just anxiety producing which contraindicates healing vibes!

I will take the tried and trusted Doris Day approach, not my chosen philosopher, but in this case I make exception...step aside Kierkegaard!

Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be....I'll just take my old Oxy, que sera sera, what will be will be.....
 
ok @lovesstars ya can't just tell us about those muffins without bringing a few hot sticky crumbs over!! I love pumpkin muffins. And I'm not kidding about the daily am pumpkin purée protocol. It's quite amazing to go a week on narcotics after anesthesia and everything and have a perfectly "normal" digestive system! I'm thrilled this has worked and if I ever need my third hip done (the advantage of online anonymity, you don't know about my three legs) .... I now have the exact formula to avoid the tummy and bathroom problems.

Looking forward to muffins. :)

You are amazing doing this baking in mid recovery. And thanks for all the support too! Bonesmarters are the best!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom