THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Keep the Ossur @Bone-obo! All much better with real ice cubes, thinner fabric, and I'd forgotten that my thigh is still totally numb from surgery still ...so wasn't able to feel how cold it actually had gotten! Problem resolved. It's really smooth now, giving it a four to five star rating.

Any advice on which pad to get? The hip pad seems like the obvious choice, but mayhaps the lady has been more creative...?

I got the "common" hip pad also @Bone-obo (!) although I was tempted by that universal pad, looked so nice and big. I'm not a large person but the swelling area covers a fair amount of real estate this time, from hip to below knee - the universal looked bigger. The right hip pad is next to impossible to find, (further confirming my right hip - right hand prevalence theory) but the left pad works as well on right side.

One other thing....My hoses from the unit got pretty drippy with condensation, so I've got a big bath towel under and around them to keep bedding dry...something I wasn't quite prepared for. It's not just light drops of moisture --but it's also not leaking either. Keep a few towels at the unit for refill time too.

Otherwise it has been great, very icy cold now and super soothing. I've got mine sitting on a tray on the bed so I can operate all knobs without much moving about... but you need to figure how to wrap those heavy hoses in such a way that aren't going to have you waking up in some Oxy-induced medusa nightmare wrapped in snakes. Just sayin....

That's my official off-Yelp review for you!

I can't find my notes on walking progress on lefty back in June ...but this is day Four on righty... and it still hurts quite a bit to put decent weight on that new right hip. I find I'm leaning heavily on the walker arms - denting my palms in fact! This one has hurt more from the get go than lefty, even considering the crazy blunder of forgetting meds day one. The pain is in the socket - acetabulum area and feels like it's saying "stop, ow, don't step on me just yet". But surgery was Friday, this is Tuesday. Seems last time I was stepping away, albeit on walker still. I think I'll rest it tonight, and try some mild walking with more weight bearing tomorrow to see how it reacts. I've done the hospital -OS prescribed exercises lightly in bed ...am still toning lefty as he is coming along in his recovery. One thing...in bed today I leaned over deeply at an angle, felt a very mild popping, nothing painful or scarey, just a little "pop" in that new hip area. Nothing like a dislo or anything pain inducing. Hoping, paranoiacally as we all do, that I didn't mess up some of beni Hana's fine handiwork by that lean leftward!

I'm afraid my husband won't feel sorry for me anymore and bring meals!!

We can't have that @1stSurgery! Quick. practice your groaning and dust your face with talc....one of the few immediate rewards of this surgery is sympathy and waitress service :wink: Glad you got that pain under control, it's hard figuring out these pain meds. How is your first hip holding up......it had less recovery time than mine before you had the second done. My first one was pretty solid, but seems to have regressed a bit since the last op....sulking cos it's no longer the centre of attention :)

My right knee has a set of chipmunk cheeks added to it at the side.
love that description.....both my knees are like that.... put them all side by side and all we're missing is Alvin!

In answer to your comment about the worst hip being the worst recovery....having just read thro my first hip recovery (that was the worst because it was stuck and made me limp) I actually think both hips are probably about equal, but this recovery seems harder cos my knee is pretty sore. I am also WAY more impatient to get on with it....a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :heehee:

I checked my notes, and you're about where I was. By tomorrow you may be flying on that thing, and by this time next week, you may kick it to curb altogether and step out with your best top hat and cane. (Maybe I've been watching too much Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals - love those!!)

I know we dont all heal the same but I found in the first few days I was wondering what I had done to myself. Once off most of the meds though and past the constipation I seemed to find little improvements most days. Hopefully you will find the same too

Hope today is a good one for you, Sunshine :SUNsmile:
Forget to check in on you sometimes because you're an old pro now.
The future is looking bright. I'm happy for you.
Big hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@1stSurgery

I'm not an old pro @Layla! Now I'm confused about meds again since I ran out of the Toradol that was really seeming to help. Trying to avoid much oxy since the stomach and bathroom habits have been just right so far, no real problems ..so I tried Tylenol 8 for arthritis instead this morning and so far the pain is still poking through. My question, for anyone!, is it ok to take an Oxy on top of a Tylenol 8 close together, knowing I will be taking the daily aspirin very soon as well?

Also, not an old pro, I really think it shouldn't hurt so much to walk on that leg by day....what is this, day 5? Yes, 5. I know, we all heal differently, but day 5?! So I'm a little lost what to do from here. Especially re the meds because last hip, I stopped all meds on day 4.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hi, I'd call the office of the OS about the meds as we're not to advise on that.
Jo is out today, or I'd tag her for you, so definitely consider calling the office.
At the same time, ask about putting weight on your leg, I'm sure they'll be able to offer reassurance.
@1stSurgery

Thanks @anny but still not quite figured it out with meds. As for th other hip, yes, I too noticed some strange new pains post op that weren't there before. Because I never watched the YouTube videos of the surgery I'm not familiar with what they do with that leg, but had requested they be gentle with it since it too was still healing. But I think it takes some jostling around....now I need to figure out what to do here with this pain.
It's very hard to reach anyone at my OS office @lovesstars ..but I can try.
And @Bone-obo ...I don't think I will be hoofing with Fred and Ginger anytime soon! Ice machine lost its cold punch in middle of night also by the way, to be expected.... But that added to the pain quotient.

I have to do something before I become grumpy!!

Now I'm confused about meds again since I ran out of the Toradol
Sounds like you are under medicated. Call your family doctor and see if you can get another prescription for the Toradol. Since it works for you best to stick to it for now.

Hi, I'd call the office of the OS about the meds as we're not to advise on that.
Jo is out today, or I'd tag her for you, so definitely consider calling the office.
At the same time, ask about putting weight on your leg, I'm sure they'll be able to offer reassurance.
@1stSurgery
Ok they will probably get back next week! Will try, thanks @Laayla

Thank you @lovesstars, going to call them as soon as I eat something. And remembered I can call the hospitalist on my case as well. I have an OS who is crazy busy hard to reach so it's unlikely I will get to him. Thanks @Jaycey and @Layla as well! I just found my notes from surgery one and on day 4 I was doing 6 minute walks so this one is definitely way behind and way more pained. I don't believe the pain is any problem or out of the norm though, it's that deep ache, like a bad headache in the hip, that can sometimes radiate down to knee, would seem a normal reaction to what's been done. The Toradol specifically states that it's not to be prescribed for over three days so I doubt that will be refilled and maybe it shouldn't be. Will eat, call and ice and if they say it's ok to oxy on top of Tylenol and aspirin, will do that.

By this time last hip I was off meds. Yep, they are different those twins!!

@1stSurgery I know that all doctors are different...but even though my oxy said ‘no refills’ on it when I talked to the OS nurse she said she was happy to refill it == that I was UNDER medicated. They might surprise you!!!

Thank you @lovesstars, I reached the hospitalist assigned to my case at the hospital and he was very helpful ...and reassuring. He said take the oxy now (I was worried it might be too much with the 2 Tylenol-8s and the aspirin) and that will manage the pain enough to probably allow me to walk some, and weight bear. I described all the pain and he was not alarmed, said it sounded par for the course and of course told me I couldn't compare the two twins to each other in their respective recoveries! Lol. So I went for oxy, hubby refilled ice machine that had melted and I am ready to roll. A brief moment of pain and panic got to me. Thanks so much for being there!! Since pain wasn't much of an issue last time, this confounded me. In about a half hour I'll try walking again. I have but a few weeks (3!) to get in shape for some work commitments... so any added delay is anxiety producing. As I recall, a whole bunch of improvement kicks in on week two though. Not that I'm comparing... :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts