THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Hi @Ausman I was on Dilaudid "as needed"(it was needed!) the afternoon, evening (Fri) and day after surgery (Sat). I was on it for pain the day after surgery when I came home (Sat), and the following day (Sun) and called my OS office about it the following day (Mon AM)...probably four days all told, including day of surgery. My hair was falling out noticeably (in hairbrush and on my pillows). I changed over to Tramacet on day four (Mon), as I was also itching and having crazy dreams on the Dilaudid. I believe the hair loss has slowed down quite a bit. I'm now two weeks post op. Hope that helps :).
 
@Ausman @Alitm I was not on Dilaudid at all. I have had hair loss. I believe it is linked to the shock of the trauma to our bodies and to blood loss. Sudden hair loss is also normal following childbirth (did that three times) — from the trauma and blood loss.

We just need to build up our blood and get strong again to grow more hair.
Woohoo!
 
We can do an informal hair loss survey amongst us. Because I have had none either time so it must be attributable to something I didn't do.

Some possible questions:

1) General or spinal anesthesia? ( I was spinal)
2) Dilaudid (no for me)
3) Oxycodone? (Yes for me)
4) Tramacet? (SP?? I confuse the T-drugs) (no for me)
5) Toradol? (Yes for me)
6) steroids? (Very little for me)
7) stool softeners? (None for me)
8) RX antacids? (No for me)
9) Tylenol? (Very little)

And anything else you can think of that may have hair loss as a side effect?
 
1. Spinal
2. Dilaudid (no)
3. Oxy (yes)
4. Tramadol (not until this week)
5. Toradol (no)
6. Steroids (no)
7. Stool stuff (no)
8. Antacids (no)
9. Tylenol (yes but I was on it for months before surgery for AVN)
 
By the way, had a lovely and long dinner with my sister who brought over.... Are you ready?

A whole chicken! As in pull-it-apart limb by limb chicken. :chuckmarch:

This is considering all the "drawing and quartering" chicken references in the past days we've had here! She was pulling apart the legs and wings and I couldn't help but laugh! But it was warm and delicious, plus a big Caesar salad and monster sized chocolate chip Cookies! We talked for hours like old PJ party days. Was really fun.

And, the best news.... I am walking a little bit now and feeling... a lot less pain. Hopeful, I am. Thank you all for seeing me through the mini crisis earlier --- wishing all hippies a peaceful restful night's sleep amidst the pillow brigade!
 
We were also saturated with antibiotics, probably different ones with each respective surgeon, as well. I had Ancef in IV I know. But the rest is a blur. In any case the hair loss should be a temporary thing.
 
@1stSurgery and @lovesstars
1. Spinal (no)
2. Dilaudid (yes had itching and weird dreams with this )
3. Oxy (no)
4. Tramadol (Yes after first few days post op, after stopping Dilaudid)
5. Toradol (no)
6. Steroids (no)
7. Stool stuff (yes)
8. Antacids (no)
9. Tylenol (yes but I was on it for months before surgery for OA pain)
?*10. Transfusion for blood loss (no)

I do think there is a relationship with having physical trauma to the bod!
 
I don't think I should participate in the survey - my hair has been falling out consistently for a while now, haha. "Daddy, why do you and Grandpa have empty spots on your head?"
Haha! So cuuuute!! "Empty spots". :roseshwr:
Genetically they say to look to the mother's father for baldness gene... I think. But then I am currently a wee bit spacey. So it could be the cousins uncle. :)

ETA, haha, typo ..I had "badness gene" instead of baldness. Not sure there is a badness gene!
 
Last edited:
So far, the tramadol (Tramacet??) and Tylenol are both in the hair loss positives column. Spinal / general seems unrelated.

Such a gorgeous evening here tonight... I have the full moon shining in and French doors open to soft breezes. Tomorrow may even be "first shower" day for this hip. Definitely will try a very short walk tomorrow. Everything onward and upward!
 
@1stSurgery You're correct - which is highly unfortunate for me (well, for my wife, I don't really care much). My maternal grandpa was completely bald, and I have a giant head. At least I can grow a reasonably thick beard so I can look intimidating instead of like a lollipop, haha.
 
Oh man, I would kill for some rain... The air up here is so bad, and my allergies have been acting up (nowhere near where they used to be though). Never knew the air quality index was a thing until I moved here... Hopefully we get some rain Monday. Enjoy the night, sounds fantastic!
 
We're supposed to get rain here on Tues @JoeKnows. Not sure which way it will travel relative to Bakersfield, but the cooling effect will be nice. Except there was a party on my street tonight ...and hubby said some revelers seemed to feel it would be a fun gesture to stomp on and crunch our rain gutters in the front, to which my husband had a loud bleep-able reaction. Other than that, rain would be nice! Guess we're calling gutter company tomorrow.
 
@1stSurgery My phone tells me 50% chance on Tuesday morning here - I assume coming in from the coast. Heck, maybe next weekend we'll head out to Cayucos to get some cool weather anyway... Drive is only a couple hours, and if we have to stop at a winery in Paso to stretch, I guess I can deal with that, haha.

I would not react well to someone damaging the rain gutters... We don't have them, but I got three quotes while I've been at home and I know it's not exactly cheap!
 
I don't know Cayucos, is it nice?
It's just the end of one gutter and I think they will be able to repair it rather than replace it. House is built into the side of the mountain, and like many SoCal homes is not well waterproofed, so we have to stay on top of any rain situation.
 
You sound much more your old self @1stSurgery! So pleased! And what a lovely sister!
Thanks @bickypeg! Yep, my old self sails along fine when not in pain!! Took a small but dedicated BoneSmart emergency crew to knock some sense into me earlier.

Sister just texted me "I stole your fork"! To which I replied there were several worthwhile 12-step programs for such disorders... And it was a good sign she came clean. Then she said but I had kept her salad tongs. She lives about an hour away so we don't get to see each other that much (an LA hour = 3 hrs in traffic) But we will need to set up the historic dinner fork/salad tong exchange soon! The whole family could collapse otherwise...
 
There's no one like your sister! Mine's bombing off to Spain, then the US later with her nice new hip! Only a single hippy and had it done in April so I can't begrudge her some fun!
 
Back
Top Bottom