Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@1stSurgery
Don't walk if you are in pain, even though you have work committments in 3 weeks. I hope you will find that if you give yourself a couple of extra days rest the walking will come naturally and relatively pain free and you will make your deadline no problem. Just don't try to rush it now.
 
@1stSurgery I'm so sorry that you are having the pain this time around. I found the icing the leg with packs, under the leg and on the top of the leg, and the knee, also helped with my pain early on. So glad everyone got after you, @lovesstars with a whip (!), to make the call. Take what is needed now, and don't push it. If you get this week sorted, next week will be better I promise....I'm here towards the end of week two, and WHAT A CHANGE! Have faith, it will come. Take the meds, eat more pumkin, crank the ice machine and all will be well!

I am on crutches as of today, and replacing the day time Tramacet with Tylenol. Spoke to the pharmacist when picking up more dressings today with hubs about going off the Tram during the day, and if i should be concerned about withdrawal symptoms. She was pretty laid back about it, and said to stop the day Tram, make sure I was taking enough Tylenol instead. If I started to feel a bit off, take a half a Tram and that should do it. Thought that was a bit of a relaxed answer, but she said because it is a synthetic opioid, the withdrawal wasn't as bad, particularly given how little time I'd been on it....in the big picture. That wasn't what I've read on Dr. Google, so I'll take the middle of the road and use some common sense about it, keep going with my diary and see what happens. I have to say now that my pain is getting less and less, I would be happy to be more clear headed. Feel overmedicated for sure...such a change. See what happens on week two?! Hard when first surgery was relatively straight forward and pain wasn't a big feature at all.

Sorry to miss the yummy looking cookies from @lovesstars! So unfortunate that the "Beam me up Scottie" technology is not yet available to us!
 
Soooooooooooooooooo much better!!!!

Was able to wash up, shampoo (half of) hair, and walk using the operated leg with far less pain, on Walker. A world of difference. I've decided that rather than this one being the anomaly, such bad pain, that last time was the oddball out with so little pain and I just got lucky. This is more what THR is like this time I believe. But the oxy has made it so much better. Yes @Bionic I hear ya! Promise not to push but my legs really do want to do some stepping other than bathroom trips so I may just try a light spin on the beloved four wheeled hippy transportation device...the walker... A little later. Thanks again all for the good advice and encouragement. This site is so invaluable! Double hippy love to you all!!
 
We cross posted @Alitm! Yes everyone was appropriately scolding to get me to buckle down and take the dang meds! :) And I'm very grateful!! So good to hear about your progress too and coming off the heavier pain meds. I do remember that week two showing very promising signs of improvement so watching you, I look forward to that. Look at you on crutches already and getting about! Nice! By the way the pumpkin has been a blessing this time. I begin each day with warm pumpkin purée and cinnamon, some banana slices, coffee, prune juice and a small slice of spinach quiche! All other meals I'm eating as normal, no diet changes really. And there have been NO digestive issues at all! So pleased about that, but I also turned down the hospital stomach pills and stool softener drugs. Was a good trade off for me. Last time I spent as much energy battling the nausea, constipation and then Diarreah as I did with the hip pain. Praise the Pumpkin!!

Keep up the good work on your crutches, I'm hobbling a bit one legged right behind you. I suspect this recovery will just be a few days behind number one. The 15 stairs await....
 
Well I DID take tap dance as a puppy, @Bionic ...but I'm afraid even two-legged, it was a bit rudimentary, definitely not my strong suit!
So ... Do two 1-legged tap dancers equal one 2-legged tap dance?! We would be a real hit, I'm sure. I think I could choreograph something using walkers and get those nice turns involved. Then the cane is...a natural to integrate. Ahh the meds are working.

I'm in bed icing and planning a post ice mini-walk. Clean hair and oxy really can change your whole outlook on life.
 
Last edited:
@1stSurgery Great that you are back on track! :yay: . Please remind me on round two to try the Praise the Pumpkin first! Is the pumpkin a one off thing or a multi-day affair? The stool/laxative meds had a rather volatile effect that I'd rather live without if there are other proven alternatives :heehee:

I am so :yikes: about your stairs. Most of all I'm glad I escaped them. I'm assuming you are using a cane and DH transports the walker as necessary!?! Built in physio, whether you like it or not :scaredycat: I'm so in awe of all of you stair folks!:)

I trialed one crutch just now and it worked fine, so the cane looks more viable than it did last night - felt very unstable, but I was also tired. Husband told me to stop pushing it and get used to the crutches a moment ago! Insert wrapping knuckles sound here. Who on BS has been speaking to him, fess up...!

Thanks to @lovesstars for the :yikes: loaner!
 
I had hubs smuggle the pumpkin purée into the hospital @Alitm, so I could have some with the first post op meal. Then follow-up with every breakfast after, up until off the narcotics, which are the prime constipation agent. It goes hand in the hand with the morning prune juice, coffee and banana. And the cinnamon on pumpkin isn't just for flavor, but it regulates blood sugar, which is key post-op also so you aren't quite as dizzy when standing and all. I think the main difference also this time, for me, was not taking the stool softener meds. They worked oh way overtime last time! This route has been perfect for me. I was all set to have to deal with the digestive tract issues again, so am very pleasantly surprised that ...there are none!
PS It was not I speaking to your husband, getting him to restrain you, I promise! Keep an eye on that @Mojo333 though... She has that mojo going on...:snork:
 
Clean hair and oxy really can change your whole outlook on life.

Ain't this the truth @1stSurgery!

Last night, I was about to go to bed and I just felt this itchiness and oiliness in my scalp. I didn't really feel like it, but I knew I had to wash my hair. OMG, did I feel good during the washing and afterwards. My scalp and hair are feeling so good today.

"Clean hair and oxy really can change your whole outlook on life."
I think that one should go viral.

And glad you are taking the pain meds. You're not even a week out right? (Today is my two-week anniversary.)
 
Happy hippivesary @Going4fun! Your titanium newborn is two weeks old today! Soon you will be giving it birthday parties!

Yes, that is a true statement - spoken by one who cannot abide dirty hair. I can handle my femur being sawed off and forgetting that I need meds ok...but ...dirty bangs?!?!? Quel horreur!! (Going to borrow @lovesstars' patented emoji for that one!) :yikes: Ahhhhh!!!! Anything but dirty bangs!!!! :yikes:

Should be my sig line!
 
@1stSurgery and @Going4fun Speaking of hair washing and oily skin....my skin has been crazy oily, although usually dry. What is that about? It is borderline :eeeuw:. I feel as if I can't get clean in the shower, almost! Is it the meds, a reaction to surgery, like hair loss can be (had that the first couple of days but better now) or what?!

Happy two week anniversary to you :yes!: @Going4fun :SUNsmile:
 
Could be @Alitm, not sure, but my bangs were like somebody had dipped them in a pot of oil for deep frying! I could NOT bear going another day with that hair living on my head.
Felt so good to wash, even though I only half-rinsed due to bending-over-sink-while-on-meds phobia. Not sure how they could get so oily in a few short days. You may be right. But tell that to my dry flaky calves whom I can no longer reach to moisturize!

Hubby just gave me his work schedule for the week and I see tomorrow I have 12 hrs alone to figure out how to achieve feeding! (Kitchen is up those daunting 15 stairs and just not doable yet) Best friend who has been so helpful is on a plane tomorrow morning. We are trying to come up with some protein heavy foods that don't require refrigeration or cooking! Because I have a very high appetite with this surgery. I think a small cooler with hard boiled eggs, maybe some peanut butter sandwiches... 12 hrs is starting to sound long. He is busy right now so nothing we can do. Will see if anyone is available to pick up and deliver a meal down those 15 stairs!
 
Awww. I don’t know whether to cry or laugh at some of these posts. You are all stars.

I “took one for the team” today and decided to watch a video of a hip operation. I had my hand over my mouth for the first 2 minutes trying not to choke. I avoid ALL tv programmes involving operations normally. But, it was fascinating and I have a newfound respect for all surgeons. it also “hammered home” how much our bodies go through to get this done and anyone who doesn’t have some pain during the process is very lucky indeed!

Walking around the ground floor of our house now without crutches mostlyZ unless I have been sitting for a while as feel unstable when I get up so need crutches then.

Week 9 into 10 so hoping for some more positive progress soon. Pain much less today.

Have a good night all whatever time zone you are in x
 
---> "pain much less today" IS progress @SurreyGirl, significant progress at that! Nothing much moves forward without that factor under some kind of control. News to me here on round two, but I won't be forgetting that anytime soon. You've been very patient and the longer these recoveries go, the harder it is sometimes to note the subtle but real changes that are made. That's why it's so good to diary it daily, which I think you do.

Brave one watching the vids!! I keep saying I will watch after both surgeries are done but it's still too soon I think. Maybe after both are fully recovered. I'm extremely curious to see the start to finish though, I do admit and agree with you on the respect for the surgeon, or in my case, the chef! And their skills needed. After watching my blockbuster femoral head video about ten times, I'm sure the whole procedure will be equally fascinating. Thanks for taking one for the team!
 
@1stSurgery How about some nuts (yes we are!) as well? Trail mix...the good stuff? I remember @Layla posting a list of high protein snacks somewhere. Maybe she would be kind (her middle name:roseshwr:) enough to post again for your starving self!

@SurreyGirl Thank you for taking one for the team...you brave soul! I'm not watching the real surgery until AFTER #2 bionic hip replacement! I sent a picture of #1 bionic hip x-ray to the dear friend who made the foolish comment about opioid based drugs while I was still on Dilaudid, and haven't had a comment back yet! Any more comments and I'm sending them the link to the real surgery site! I have watched simulated surgeries of posterior and anterior.
 
Good idea on nuts @Alitm, we have some cashews and pecans here.

Then the cat will need feeding too and I will not I will not I will not bend to feed the cat! Why couldn't we have a taller kitty?! About 4 ft high would be good.
 
Back
Top Bottom