THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@Ausman, DO try the Toradol! Highly recommended if you can tolerate it. It's twice a day for three days... but you're younger and I think they allow more days and dosages for younger peeps so ask your doctor. Might really help you! It worked very well for me with little to no side effects.

It sounds as if you may have some methylation issues given your responses you mentioned to other meds. That's the body's ability to detox, which can be impacted genetically. Some of us carry what's called the MTHFR Genetic mutation, there are several varieties of it and those with the stronger versions have trouble with meds, toxins -- in that they don't eliminate them as swiftly and thoroughly as those who don't have the genetic marker. So they need to be more cautious about allergies and adverse reactions. I read that around 40% of people from Northern European descent have MTHFR. I have this and am always having to be careful with drugs, usually asking for the children's dosage!

I hope you never have to deal with the twin hip or if so its years down the road. Good luck on the pain, please ask re Toradol too.

STANDARD I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR A NURSE OR A VETERINARIAN DISCLAIMER
 
Thank you so much @Bevlah, I think we will have to settle for a cyber hug given the long distance you'd have to travel but it is felt and appreciated all the way! I'm relieved to hear a week of misery and no progress is not far off track although sad for everyone enduring it! Plus I come from a long lifetime of near perfect health so I have no real pain management experience to recall or draw upon, even last hip. Off pain meds day 4.

Poor righty, she just didn't want to go out with a whimper, but rather with her totally characteristic loud bang! Such a drama queen to the end, righty. I think lefty was a Brit because he was so buttoned up, undramatic, stoic, unassuming, modest and properly polite. Righty must be ...an Italian. Lol!
 
And I will bear in mind the ever-wise @An54's adage of:

SLOW LIKE KETCHUP

--going forward!!

Sounds like a perfect and realistic expectation set-up for me, thank you! :roseshwr:

Edit to add:

Said phrase attribution to be corrected as follows:


Written by @lovesstars
Inspired by @An54
Adapted into life practice by @1stSurgery
 
Last edited:
Ok got it! I mis-read. We need to get our writing credits in line! Hubby has left for the day after a fill up of ice in the Ossur so I'm going to take advantage before it melts. And OS office (surgeons Asst) just called to check in and he too was very assuring. He even warned not to overdo while under the influence when I could weight bear and to rest and allow first few weeks to be about pain Mgmt. So I have calmed down and am no longer on the ceiling. He also had an assuring voice quality. I think they take a course in that in med school. Ha! It's a beautiful sunny day outside and I'm fortunate that the bedroom has nice vistas, even hear the birdsongs so what could be wrong? Will let you know after Super Spouse thread is set up!! Big hippy hugs, thanks again for whipping me into shape (<--- not a reference to @lovesstars whip practices)
 
@An54 @EL11 @1stSurgery

It was me. I was really frustrated. An54 said that I had to go at my own paid. I said, “in that case, my pace is “slow like ketchup”.

I think.
Yes, that's right! Imagine, you may have coined the ultimate phrase for a whole philosophy of post THR recovery,
@lovesstars 's slow like ketchup .
 
It is a good one! I've only coined one recovery phrase so far in these 4 months and I stand by it.

"Clean hair and oxy really can change your whole outlook on life." - 1st Surgery, September 2018

Hey, we may have the seedlings of a small point of purchase book here! :) Quotes to carry you through recovery! :heehee:
 
I dare say we have wandered well over the territorial boundary line and right into the OT fluff zone here! I was just going with the flow ... I need to reboot the anti-fluffer app again. It has many glitches and doesn't always alert me when I've strayed off the femoral path. I promise to be better.
 
Oh bless you! I had quite a lot of pain in the first week but was on codeine, paracetamol and morphine for three weeks eventually cutting back in the opioids. Seriously, when you see the actual op it is not surprising we get pain... sounds like your OS is a star and very reassuring. I think @Layla or @Mojo333 both advise us Hippies to judge progress on a weekly basis. I suspect you should feel different next week.

Re comparing recoveries, I can’t help but a wry smile at the fact we are not supposed to compare recoveries but that you are comparing your own recovery to your previous one (!) ie. with yourself....

That said - I seem to be stagnated so will be interested to see what OS says next Monday. That is if I get to see him!
Hubby wants to come too. Should I let him?
 
@SurreyGirl Yes! Let hubby come to OS appt. if he's showing interest why not? He's already invested in the process and based on that yummy sounding bread alone, I'd say he merits the joys of a post op surgeons visit!!

Thanks also for the reassurance. I'm all about that now and it does work to hear it from all sides. Currently icing and at about 10,000 ft on oxy, feeling no pain. Hair still clean from yesterday so there are no problems in the world. Are there??
 
It is posted!

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tales-of-super-spouse-support.50394/

A room dedicated to your Spouse / Significant Others roles in your recovery. Please tell your stories and who knows, your spouse may be eligible for the Super Spouse Oscar award at the end... Prizes include a swag bag of abandoned crutches, canes, walkers, leg lifters and other assorted tools and devices.

Thanks for telling your spouse stories!
 
Maybe I will put a thread on social page if anyone has good spouse support stories.

That is a brilliant idea! I could not have done this without my wife's support. And she was lucky to have gotten some great advice from another spouse who's husband had a THR a couple years ago. Without that, we really would have been flying blind. I have since suggested to my OS that his staff prepare something for caregivers.

Maybe we could all add "lessons learned" to the thread to smooth the way for our new hippies and hippy caregivers. This seems important enough to me that perhaps it could even be incorporated as a "sticky" topic right here in the Recovery section? I know that would be up to the Mods, but I think there is such a need.

Oh- and thank you @1stSurgery- I didn't even know there was the Social section. It looks like fun!
 
That's wonderful @Ausman! Yes please add your wife's story and contributions and I LOVE the idea of the OS offering some sort of pre op spousal courses. Mine were standard patient classes, that were open to the spouses to attend, but only one spouse showed up.

There is an important, very vital, emotional support component to the spouse role. My husband has literally talked me off about 35 ledges since surgery one and has no signs of letting up. He is more practical than me (who isn't?!) and also not flying high on pain drugs so his advice comes from a sounder base! Plus he's a great cook and adores cooking but... Hates cleanup. Which has always been my role. Not now. He has adapted but I'll save it for his story over there at the thread, when I'm less brain fogged!
 
Sorry to be late chiming in, but went to see physio and walked out to my barn for the FIRST TIME! Literally tears in my eyes and lump in my throat to see my small and tall "boys". I'll be a blithering mess when I see my young horse...a few weeks to go before I venture off to do that.
A N Y W A Y, as usual I digress. Being brief is NOT in my genetic make up

First for @1st Surgery....So glad your sister stepped up to feed you a meal so you won't starve! Phew! I was worrying about that!

Now....straight from my physio's mouth (I've know him for three years so we get down to brass tacks quickly)....."expect the second surgery to be like the apocalypse compared to the success of your first, and anything better that that will be good". One has to know him to appreciate his "brassiness", but he hits the point out of the park so to speak...NO COMPARING :bignono:! In addition to your having had a really easy (compared to the average) first time around with pain, I do believe the hospital's physio's actions did you a "disservice" (what we all have to say about said "disservice" is :censored: ), although no serious damage done. That action made your second surgery, that was probably destined to be not-as-easy anyway, even more not-as-easy. It is super that your OS's group is following up and giving you assurances. Always great to hear it from the medical experts!
It takes incredible emotional strength to reset one's expectations me thinks. All the medication running around one's body doesn't help the cognitive processing of same either :headbang:...at least that is my experience thus far! I can hardly type a post without multiple grammar and typo errors!

The frustration and worry level about it all is understandably high. As you mentioned, setting work dates as per your first surgery's healing time frame has added more pressure to your expectations. Glad that you have taken that off the table. The angst doesn't make for good healing :oyvey:. Of course, much easier said than done. When is your first check up with OS? Hopefully that too will give you further assurances that you are on track and normal with your healing time. Further, wanted to add, the changes that have occurred for me in the last 48 hours have been like light speed compared to the first week to week and a half, if that is of any help. When they happen, they happen! I keep saying to myself, remember it takes blah blah blah time for the hip capsule to form and soft tissue trauma to heal, it takes blah blah blah time for the bone grafting to occur, three months is short term recovery, six months is long term recovery blah blah blah some more! I know I'm going to have to keep resetting my buttons continuously as I heal :gaah:.

Enough verbosity for one post. Sending tons of cyber healing hugs your way:roseshwr:
 
Aww thanks @Alitm thats super helpful all of it. The apocalypse!? That calls for @lovesstars patented emoji!! :yikes::yikes:

But that too reassures me! I like your OS. I'm not taking the October work off the table entirely yet, just the possibility that I may need to down the road. Will decide in a week or so. But it doesn't serve to worry endlessly about it ... At least not just yet. As you say, things can change quickly when they do.

So exciting about seeing your babies in the barn!! That's beautiful and I guarantee you, just visiting them will help your healing. Can't wait till you see the little young one.

I'm off to have my lunch in a cooler now! Thanks again so much for the explanations and recounting from your doctor, it all helps as a calming influence. When you can, go give us your spousal manure stories at my new thread!! (Link above) We are all anxious to hear... :heehee:
 
I have had some hair loss since the op...

Hey gang-

Just re-reading some of the posts regarding hair loss. I'm a 58 year old guy with my share of hair loss already. Thought I noted tonight some more than I had remembered. Has anyone made any connection to THR and hair-loss? My pain med is Dilaudid. I can't think of anything else that would be worth noting. Any connection? Sheesh on top of everything else! :gaah:
 
Back
Top Bottom