TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have overdone it again. Kept waiting for a friend to help me and finally gave and did t myself. I lifted 2 big baskets of books, sorted them and moved them to the car to donate. Then I finally got my sewing area setup which meant lifting tables, sewing machines (2) and various paraphernalia. Now I'm icing, trying to stay ahead of the swelling that was just starting. I'm praying it doesn't get too bad. Of course, right after I finished she called and said she'd be by this week. Oh well, it's done now.

Felt good though that I did it myself. I've lived alone for too long and hate relying on others to help me. I am glad that my son came to help that first week though. So much to do now. Started painting before the surgery and never finished. Climbing the ladder got to be too much for my knees. (12 ft ceilings) Been trying to hire someone to finish and it is nearly impossible. I know it will be a while before I can climb that ladder safely.
 
Ok. Strange sensation. At least for me. I keep thinking that something was crawling on my leg. I'd go to brush it off and there was nothing the there. I watched it for awhile and could see nothing. It's right below the incision. Just a creepy sensation. Figured it must be nerves coming back alive.

I also feel another sensation in the incision. It's a tingly feeling when I walk. Or like little bugs moving when I walk. But the good news is i seem to have made a new stride in that knee in that flexion is improving and banding/stiffness is also not as bad. Kind of like something loosened. (Like tssue? ) Is this normal? I'm assuming it is. It's not painful just strange.
 
I'm paying for the extra work I did this weekend. Knees are still stiff and swollen some. Been icing and in between trying to do more. My knees won't cooperate though. Still have to show me whose boss. I guess I just need to ice them and accept the work will still be there tomorrow. Time for more ice. Hope sleep comes tonight better than last night. I really need the sleep.
 
Here I am again at midnight. I was really drowsy at 9:30 but woke up with that "I need to run" feeling. I may just not take any night time meds tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still running abt an 85% sleep efficiency with sleeping with being awakened 23-29 Times a night. I'm getting abt 6-7 hrs of sleep out of 8-9 hrs in bed. I guess it could be worse. I hope the number of hrs of restless time deceases soon. Thankfully I'm able to take a nap during the day if necessary. As the knees become more "awake" I'm feeling them more and more during the night. But I am able to sleep on my side for longer periods. It seems to be when I move unconsciously that I wake up due to discomfort.
 
Pidgin meds? Wonder what I meant? @hopefaith said that Tramadol has side effects that interfere with sleep, so definitely that's out tonight. We'll see. .or else you'll hear from me around midnight again.
Weird. .I just got a nerve awakening flash from my lower shin. How does that happen?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Pidgin meds? Wonder what I meant? @hopefaith said that Tramadol has side effects that interfere with sleep, so definitely that's out tonight. We'll see. .or else you'll hear from me around midnight again.
Weird. .I just got a nerve awakening flash from my lower shin. How does that happen?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was wondering...figured it was auto correct. LOL. I used the last of my Tramadol a couple of weeks ago to help e sleep. I think everyone is affected so differently with these medications.

I've had a,couple of those strange sensations also. They happen in the strangest places. I had one in my upper thigh but then I realized they used a tourniquet on my upper thigh. Figured it must have been really tight.
 
My PT sessions seem to get longer each time. She's really working me but not overdoing I. My quads really need work. She's a littlee concerned abt adhesions since it has been a problem with previous surgeries. So she's really doing some heavy duty massage also which seems to help.

I took some Tylenol just before my session but forgot to take them in the afternoon. Decided to just ice and take them just before bed. Didn't really miss them which is good. Not ready to give them up completely though. Just wish my ankles Warren' t so stiff. Just when I think they're better, it starts again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's 3:30 and I can't get back to sleep. Not sure if I would call it restless leg but my left leg just aches all over all the way down to my toes. I thunk it's upset because the right one has been getting all the attention. Was due for Tylenol at 4:30 and was going to skip it until I got up. Now I think I will take it an hr early instead. Kind of wish I had some Tramadol left because that would help this pain and put me to sleep. At least it does for me. Oh well, I'll get thru this. Must have laid wrong or something since it's the entire leg and not just one spot. Slept good prior to this. Went to bed at 10:00, went right to sleep, woke up at 1:30 and went right back to sleep until the ache woke me up. Guess I'll go take the Tylenol and hope it works quickly. Right
 
Jealous leg! That's s new one. Myself, woke up at 1:30 partly from my wife's muffled dream screaming, decided to stay up for a while. That lasted 1.5 hours and woke up at 6:30. So on Vicodin it didn't work how I hoped, but not bad. I think I'll stay with this for a few weeks.
Make nice to your left leg today though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Ok...My legs seem to having a contest.which can ache more? I took my Tylenol and managed to go back to sleep fairly quickly (I'm sure the Tylenol had nothing to do with that) but woke up a couple of hours later with both knees aching. Now it is mostly the knees and surrounding area. I'm thinking that maybe it's from the deep massages that my PT did yesterday? Not much swelling but I am icing. Actually feels better when I walk. Strange.
 
I think once you're moving out feels better. When I'm sitting or standing too long they really hurt but get better moving. They do not like being in one position. This is why I'm still elevating at night, If they happen to need to be in that position.
When I get on the bike at the gym, it feels like I can't make one rotation, let alone 10 minutes of it, but after one minute it's fine. They like movement.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
My sleep is actually improving. Over the past 2 weeks I woke up less times and my sleep efficiency is now at 89%. When I started measuring it again it was in the low 80's. Before surgery it was in the high 90's. That's my goal. Wish I had not stopped when in the hospital so I could really compare. Did it once and it was in the 60's and I stopped.
 
Not for me, sleepwise. I had more insomnia than ever. I got my 8 hours in but it took until 10 this morning to do it. Tonight with just Tylenol. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@JustJeff The other drugs helped my pain but kept me awake. Opposite of most people. For some reason drugs affect me weirdly. The Tylenol does help. I hope it works for you. I also know for me sleeping on my side helps a lot. I ice before I go to bed and when I first get up, even if I don't think I need it. Good luck on the Tylenol.
 
Just left PT. Heavy massage again but the best news is my ROM is finally improving. It's taken a while since the last improvement so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues. I really think the deep massage helps. Wish I had the nerve to do it like her.
 
@sleenie , what if you started massaging gently, and not as vigorously as your PT? I'm really getting interested in massage as a tool to gain ROM. Mine has been stuck, too. Since I'm not going to PT, I'm trying to do some on myself.

@JustJeff , I was researching Tramadol, thinking I might ask my doc for a prescription. I'm only on Tylenol and the occasional glass of wine :beer: but my knees have been so tight lately. Anyway, restless leg is one of the side effects. Here's hoping with Tylenol only you can get some good sleep.:sleep:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom