TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to a conclusion last night as I woke up in pain from one leg finding its way beneath the wedge. I think it wasn't the fact that it was under the wedge but because it was straight. Does that make any sense to you? It's the only reason to me that does. Any other time sleeping elevated the legs are slays at some angle at the knee.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@JustJeff yes that makes sense. I don't elevate at night now but i do keep a small soft pillow between the knees. It seems to happen when the pillow is not there. My knees are mostly bent but sometimes straightened out. It almost feels like bone on bone when the 2 inside knees are together. Obviously it is still in the healing process. But getting better.
 
I just felt drowsy do I decided to test the theory laying flat on my back with my feet sticking up. Didn't work. My wife called me to say her messaging wasn't working. Grrr. Well, back to testing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@JustJeff That's,how I also at the hospital & Rehab except with one pillow underneath my feet. I was amazed I could sleep like that but I futurist was because I was so drugged up. Can't do it now.
 
All through the hospital and rehab the wanted me to lay flat. I didn't have problems then but I was icing all the time also.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I hate these surprise pains my knees decide to give me. Last night I had some strange pains that were new. Below the knee in the front just to the outside. It actually felt like the bone was hurting. In fact if I tried to lay on that side the outside ankle bone hurt also. The worst part was the Tylenol didn't help at all. My Voltaren Gel helped some. The pain was really sharp and lasted for a few hrs. Started up again this AM. Been icing all morning but not helping much. Haven't done anything strange or overdone stuff. Just another of those strange healing pains.

Aches I can handle, I can do without the ongoing sharp pains. Yuck
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
This too will pass, @sleenie; but in the meantime, I agree that these sudden different aches and pains are an annoyance we'd all rather do without.
 
I decided to go to the Farmers Market this morning. I walked around for about 1 hr and had forgotten about the inclines of some of the sidewalks. And the curbs. But I did pretty good. I did have my cane with me because my right knee still gives out. I swear, with the difference between the 2 knees you would think they were done weeks apart.

In fact I came home and decided to do some yard work came in after 1 hr but not because I hurt but it got too hot. Guess I'll finish in the morning. Now it's time to ice the knees.

I love progress. Mine might be slow but it's there.
 
but because it was straight
When your leg is flat on the bed, your knee is slightly hyperextended, can make it unhappy. If your heels are over the end of the bed, your knees relax and it is a little more comfortable.

Sleenie,
Sounds like you had an active day, yes that is progress! Wise to finish the gardening in the morning.
Thanks for the update,
 
For the first time in a while I can't sleep. Been getting over 90% sleep efficiency lately so I'm surprised. No pain, must just be one of those nights. Nothing unusual. I did give up some more pillows last week which actually helped. I'm now using just one between my knees.

Did some weed eating this weekend which was greatly needed with no problem. Also did some ironing which did cause a little swelling and I immediately iced. Felt good to get it done though. Almost finished.

Just trying to catch up on all the things I got behind on after surgery. And trying hard to not overdo it.
 
I feel like maybe I have turned a corner. After being stuck on my ROM for weeks it's like they finally decided to loosen up and move.I've gained over 10% in just over a week on both knees. Hard to believe they were done at the same time though. Very little banding on the left knee but lots on the right. Of course that knee turned out to be in much worse shape than the left.

My OS has,approved another 3 wks of PT thankfully. I see him for a followup visit next week after 2 straight days of PT. I have to drive 2 hrs. to see him so I think I will pack ice and get there early enough to do some short exercises and a short walk to loosen things up. Last time the drive stiffened up knees enough that it made my progress look worse. But it has definitely improved in the past 6 weeks. It was so frustating to lose ground after the initial 2 weeks due to the issues I had.

Onward!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
@sleenie, great update! In another month, you'll feel even better. And things will continue to improve bit by bit as the months go by. I stopped thinking about my hip within a year. It was about two years before I could go through a whole day and not give my knees a thought. But you do get there, and it really is worth all that initial struggle to recover.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
:driver:You're moving down the recovery road!
 
Today is a first for me. Went down to the plaza and walked around. Even went into most of the shops. Then I left and went to a great yarn place and after that took a walk in the park. I can actually say my knees did not hurt. Once I got home, I iced them just in case. Since I moved here, I have never been able to walk the plaza without numerous stops. Definitely progress. Yea!!
 
Wow....that's just wonderful!!! It's great to hear you've made that much improvement.
 
Great report, how wonderful to be able to shop without stopping to rest your knees.
 
Things are progressing nicely. Sleep is getting better and better. Sleep efficiency is now above 90% and getting better. In fact, my knees are no longer stiff when wake up. I was using the cane for the first few minutes after getting up because of stiffness. No Tylenol during the night anymore. I only use the cane when in public because my right knee still gives out once in awhile.

And the best part is ROM is improving fast all of a sudden. I seemed to be stuck at 90 for the weeks, no matter what we did. In the past week it is has improved to well above 100. In fact, it is likely about 110 maybe higher. I go to PT today and to the OS tomorrow. She'll measure today but even she's surprised. I'm pretty sure the extension on my left knee is O and close to that on the right knee. I swear that the left knee feels like it was done months before the right instead of at the same time. Such a difference in recovery.

Will be taking an ice bag with me to OS appt because the drive is abt 90 min. I want walk at the park before my appt and then ice before I see him. I want my knees to show as much flex as possible at the office. I know I still have a long way to go but I'm feeling really good physically and mentally at 12 weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom