TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sleenie I know. I'm one week behind you and I can't believe
1) that so little time has passed
2) that I've been through so manychanges
3) that I've had so many achievements on the way back to normalcy.
4) that there's so much yet to go!

What's a fit it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It was suppose to be Fitbit, auto correct changed it. It's my fitness monitor but also keeps sleep efficiency patterns. I love it. I wear the Fitbit Flex which is a bracelet

I think you are only 1 day after me. Mine was 4/8.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sleep seems be getting better. Can't say I'm back to normal but it's progressing. Only woke 3 times last night and went back to sleep fairly quickly. I'm able to stay up later which I think helps. I'm trying not to take naps unless I have bad night. I sure hope this continues. My sleep efficiency is slowly improving.

Strength and endurance is getting better also. That means I'm actually accomplishing some work around the house. Planning on trying to walk the Farmers Market this weekend. Figured if I can walk Walmart I can do this. Only difference is I won't have the cart to lean on. LOL

Have a great day everyone. I'm headed off to PT.
 
I find myself trying to go to bed with my wife at 10, then giving up at 10:30, going down and reading until my eyes start closing at about midnight. I think I'm stuck in this mode for now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Strength and endurance is getting better also.
Those two are normally the last two to solidify. You are getting close!

Planning on trying to walk the Farmers Market this weekend.
I love to work those for the produce farm that I work for---we go to four to five of them a week! Great produce, great products!

Enjoy your walk around the market---you are re-assembling your life and regaining that normalcy!
 
Long rough day at PT today. 90 min. of therapy. Nothing that really painful but WOW. took a nap after getting home.

My right knee is very stubborn. ROM is very slow and much of the pain with it is the same as I had before. I know it takes time though. I have a knot or swelling just above the right knee to the right. My PT said it is a part if the glut muscle. Same place as before surgery. She really spent some time working on it but I don't think she pushed it too far. I can lift the leg up but I definitely can feel the muscle strain. I think there has been improvement because when I left inpatient rehab I could barely lift and needed a leg lifter for close to 2 weeks. I know I work it more than the left knee, but sometimes I feel like it isn't progressing like it should.

I know I have to be patient. I guess I'm just venting due to frustration. It will get better. Just have to keep telling myself that.

Ok, I'm done. Going out for a short walk.
 
Just took a look at my sleep efficiency. I'm averaging an actual 7-8 hrs of sleep per night. That's after 25-35 Times I wake up. Actually in bed for10-11 hrs. Sounds bad, but the efficiency is up to 80-88% from 65%. So it is improving slowly. I just can't believe how many times I wake up. I'll be glad when that decreases. I also noticed I forgot to use the pillow between my knees last night and I did just fine. After a long PT session today, hopefully I'll drop right off.
 
I need an upgrade that does all that. Hopefully I'll hear from my Dr. Tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I need an upgrade that does all that. Hopefully I'll hear from my Dr. Tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
If you're talking abt sleep efficiency, I just use the Flex from Fitbit. It also measures my steps each day. Not even close to where I was before surgery. So I have a new goal now.

Good luck with your doctor tomorrow and your sleep apnea.
 
Thought for sure after the extensive PT yesterday I would sore and swollen today. Luckily that didn't happen. Just the normal morning stiffness. Worked that out and now I'm just going to put in a couple of hrs. of work. Have one client that is very impatient. She does not understand why I can't work full time, after all the surgery wad 8 weeks ago.. Of course she can take 2 wks off for a headache (no kidding). I think it's time to lose a client.
 
My ankles still fee like they have tight bands around them. They do seem to be worse in mornings though. After I'm up and about it gets better. I see no swelling but I suppose there could be some unseen. They actually bother me more than the banding around the knees. I constantly do ankle pumps when I'm sitting.
 
I forget. Are you elevating at night?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hope, never have. I was told to not use a bolster, not even in the hospital. In fact, I donated the one I bought to rehab. Just finished another aggressive PT and I still feel the banding., just not as bad. I see absolutely no swelling. In the past when I did have problems with swollen ankles I never felt this type of banding.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that at the hospital too and it was ok. Now, though, I believe this is VERY important! Just try the 3 pillow method tonight and see how your ankles feel in the morning.... or else get @Josephine 's opinion. Jus' tryin' ta help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I was told that at the hospital too and it was ok. Now, though, I believe this is VERY important! Just try the 3 pillow method tonight and see how your ankles feel in the morning.... or else get @Josephine 's opinion. Jus' tryin' ta help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I do appreciate your help. I have used the 3 pillow method in past, right after surgery mostly and for a while inpatient rehab, which helped some at that time. (Not my ankles though) My OS approved that but not the bolster. Plus I have an extremely bad tailbone which makes it very difficult to sleep on my back.
 
I am small so I use two pillows, works well for me. To keep it somewhat level I put one pillow under the other knee.
I love my ice and elevation!
 
I normally use one large pillow for ny feet and then small soft one between ny knees. By morning I'm usually not on the large pillow anymore and seldom use the small one all night. By morning I have to look for them, due to tossing and turning. I have little swelling unless I overdue it but still ice at least twice a day. Even tried icing my ankles even though there is no visible swelling.I have very skinny bony ankles. I'm not due for a followup until July, but I will likely call my OS next week if it doesn't' t improve. It's more annoying than anything else, plus it doesn't seem to be a very normal symptom. Last visit 3 wks ago he thought it might be a small amt of residual swelling that would go away within a few days.
 
Hi @sleenie . Just came by your thread. Sounds like you have had an interesting recovery. I use a wedge pillow and sleep on my back. I a back on the couch. I have tried sleeping in my bed a few times but I am more comfortable on the couch. My hubby has to be up early in the morning and I don't sleep well and it affects his sleep. He snores a lot too (didn't do that until after marriage :)) so that does not help my sleep. I love sleeping on my back so I elevate all night. When I wake up in the night I refresh the ice. When I wake up I am pretty much in the same position as I finally fall asleep in.

I hope your swelling goes down soon.
 
Decent nights sleep last night. Sleep efficiency is improving slowly. A little stiffness when I wake but that improves soon. I only use my cane when I first get up due to the initial stiffness. Within about 15 min I no longer use it. I take if I go shopping, mostly for balance. And my right knee still gives out in a while. Glad I do take it because some rambunctious kids ran into me Walmart and if I didn't have my cane, I know I would have fallen.

Very little swelling now, usually only after I overdue it. I still ice a few times a day though. Ankles remain stiff, are not not noticeably swollen at all. Tylenol seems to handle my pain well. Trying to walk more each day. My quad muscles are improving, but still need a lot more strength in the right leg. I can feel it when doing my leg lifts but it is getting better.

Reading about everyone's progress is great. At least I know I'm on the path. Now that I'm driving it makes my life .easier. Relying on other people can be so stressful. Cooking my meals is so much easier now. I'm thankful that I have a crockpot.

I see improvement each week in what I can accomplish on my own. Just wish I could sit at my desk for longer periods. Oh well, that will come with time. Sure glad I don't have to worry abt going back to an office desk job.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom