TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just getting to sleep after a night of board gaming. It's way past my bedtime at 12:30am. I wonder how my body will take this. ...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Well, my body did not take well to it. Thought no nap AND going to bed late would do the trick. Wrong! I guess my knees are laughing at me now. I've likely had abt 3 hrs of sleep so far. I feel a long nap in my Sat. future. Guess they are letting me know who's in charge and not to try and 2nd guess them. LOL

I almost took a sleeping pill but that likely would only make matters worse. Oh well, you win this time knees, but I'm not giving up. My wins are getting closer together!
 
I'm just getting to sleep after a night of board gaming. It's way past my bedtime at 12:30am. I wonder how my body will take this. ...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Good luck! The knees have a mind if their own and want to control your body. Hope you get a good night's sleep.
 
Well, I decided to make use of the sleepless time. Phone rang at 6:30 & 7:00 so I just got up. Decided take in a task I've been putting off. Just sorted through 100's of cookbooks. Down to 1/2 shelf. Now to have these donated cookbooks picked up. Hoping to wear myself out so I can't help but fall asleep.

More strange feelings this morning. Not really what I call pain, more of a discomfort in spots. Actually feel it more sitting down than when I walk. So maybe I'll hit the yarn shop today. The shopping may be good for my psychic and my knees. How's that for justification?
 
Yes, sometimes just getting up for a while is the thing to do. I seem to remember a sleep pattern of 2 installments.
 
I actually slept well, for the time that I slept. I had to wake up earlyto prepare for a kayak river trip I took today and the knees performed magnificently! I'm very proud of my industrial knees.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Tee
I actually slept well, for the time that I slept. I had to wake up earlyto prepare for a kayak river trip I took today and the knees performed magnificently! I'm very proud of my industrial knees.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Glad you slept well and congrats on the knees working well I did manage to get a decent nap this afternoon.
 
I feel such a difference between my right and left knees. My left one is the usual banding and stiffness issues but not really painful. My right knee, different story. I know that knee was much worse, but what a difference. The back of my knee. Really aches after I do a few things. Above the right knee just to the right it can be really painful and swells. Same place it did before the surgery. I almost forget the left knee was done also.

Has anyone ever used infraredl light as a treatment? If so, did t work?
 
I've had 2 decent nights sleep in a row. Not the best but improving. Sure hope it continues. (Knock on wood)

Going to do a few hours is work a day this week. Or at least I hope to. I'm sure my clients will appreciate it. Have to spend some time cleaning my office first. I really got a lot accomplished this weekend without any major setbacks. I know there is likely to be a few times when I overdo it, but things are improving regularly. Just wish my right knee would cooperate. When I get up from sitting, I sometimes forget I had both knees there is such difference between the 2 of them. I keep telling myself that the right knee took over an hr longer in surgery so it's bound to be a longer and tougher recovery.

It got me to thinking about the first time I injured that knee, back in 1968. Can't believe it has been that long. I was learning to ski in Germany and spent more time on the ground than up. When I went home my knee (both but right by far the worst) looked like a balloon. Happened almost every time I went skiing. If I had only known then what would happen I would have handled things differently. Never went to the doctor until yrs later. Oh well, can't go back and change things.

Hope everyone has a productive and pain free week.
 
My experience that spelled the end of my knees was in 2005 when I took the kids hiking on the Appalachian trail. It was near sunset and the only way down to the car was a step 1000 ft boulder field. The knees and meniscus really took a beating and were never the same.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
My experience that spelled the end of my knees was in 2005 when I took the kids hiking on the Appalachian trail. It was near sunset and the only way down to the car was a step 1000 ft boulder field. The knees and meniscus really took a beating and were never the same.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Yikes, that's quite a step process to go thru. Amazing what we put our bodies through..

I eventually gave up skiing and didn't do much hiking either. And wearing my heels everyday for years did not help. Once my knees hurt enough I went to the doctor. Course by then it was too late and I was considered too young. Oh well.
 
I wish someone would consider me too young.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
8 weeks today. Time has actually gone by faster than I thought. Recovery is definitely long term and little strides make you so happy.

I'm managing to stay awake a little longer each week which I think is helping me sleep better. Still wake up frequently but most of the time can get back to sleep pretty fast. I've learned if I'm not asleep within 15-30 min I get up. Usually, I can go back within another 15-30 min and get back to sleep. I started wearing my Fit it to bed again. Where I used to get 95-98% sleep efficiency, I'm down to 50-60%…not good. When I stopped wearing it, I was at 35% so it is better. Will be interesting to watch it improve. (Assuming it will)

Yesterday I walked Walmart to do some shopping. Not as bad as I thought but my right knee really swelled up so had to ice a lot last night. Also learned I can sit at my desk for less than 45-60 min before I have to get up and stretch my knees. Sure glad I work from home. I cannot imagine having to sit in an office environment.
 
Yesterday I walked Walmart to do some shopping. Not as bad as I thought but my right knee really swelled up so had to ice a lot last night.
We have all "been there, done that"! It feels great to get out and be "normal"---but then we have to pay the price.

As time goes on, though, that price becomes smaller and smaller---eventually, no ice, no elevation, just pure "normalcy"---something that we all crave.
 
@sleenie you are so right about the I would have done things different. I hopped on your thread as I was reading this morning and I could not agree more. I hurt my knee playing softball and then again skiing. back then 1985they only did reconstruction surgery on athletes. by the time they were doing it I was not a candidate so I like everyone else had the scopes and cleaning of the cartilage which only hastened the bone on bone. none the less cant go back only forward.
I am 6 weeks out and feel like I should be doing more than I do, but with the knees in charge you take what you can get. after being on the go for so long it has been difficult to rest and relax. your pots have been encouraging that things will get better.
 
@sleenie I know. I'm one week behind you and I can't believe
1) that so little time has passed
2) that I've been through so manychanges
3) that I've had so many achievements on the way back to normalcy.
4) that there's so much yet to go!

What's a fit it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I feel such a difference between my right and left knees.
We BTKR folks often think that, since we had the surgery at the same time, and had the same type of implant, that the knees should respond in stereo.

My left knee was the "angel", my right knee was the "problem child"---sometimes more like a "juvenile delinquent"!
 
My right knee also was ahead of my left in debilitation. The flexion and extension figures also are worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
My right knee also was ahead of my left in debilitation. The flexion and extension figures also are worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My left knee has better extension than my right, but my right has better flexion. Go figure. I lost so much of both when I had my muscle spasm episodes that it took a while to recoup what I lost. I know they will both get better but I hate that the same old swelling and pain is still there. But I know they took almost twice as long on the right as the left knee due to what was found once in so I guess it's to be expected. But, it will get t better, just have to have patience. (Not my strongest suit, LOL)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom