Guest viewing is limited

TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, good news from here. We had a board game night last night, so after switching between standing and cooking and hitting the bike to stretch the poor knees, I put a full day in before the event. Then I stayed up until 11:30, sleep until 3, stayed up for an hour and slept until 7! For me a good night and oh, with only Tylenol!

And so, finally I think I'm through with the heavy meds!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you are having a good day. I will be sure to drink plenty of water!!!!!
 
@BigBend I'm trying to do it more and more. I doubt I will ever do it as vigorous as her though. LOL. But she is showing me how move the knee cap round though. Mine moves left to right fairly easy but laterally very well. She thinks May have an adhesion holding it back some. So I'm slowly massaging it up and down to try and loosen it. She didn't measure me today, but will next time. Says she only sees improvement though . I've got till next Wed so I'm going to work hard on it.

I'm only on Tylenol now and skipping a dose now and then also. As long as I ice, I'm ok.
 
@sleenie I am diabetic too, did they let you take medicine? Also from my reading some are not hungry did that affect you?
 
@sleenie I am diabetic too, did they let you take medicine? Also from my reading some are not hungry did that affect you?

@madinana Yes they do give you medication. But I also took my meter and strips with me because they usually follow strict ADA guidelines and take a fasting and before meal testing only. I prefer to take a reading after meals so I can see how the food is affecting me. Besides their diabetic meals are bad. And yes, I lost my appetite due to the narcotics. I lost 15 lbs before I came home. Not a good way to lose weight though.

Do be aware though you may have some spikes right after surgery. They gave me insulin once only, but my diabetes was under control before the surgery or they would not have done it.
 
Last night before bed I was sitting in my recliner when I noticed a BIG bug crawling on the arm. I have no idea what kind it was but I couldn't get out if the chair faster enough. In the process I bent my right knee further than it normally goes. I think I broke an adhesion because all of a sudden I could bend my knee further. Not much pain and little swelling this AM but nothing ice couldn't handle. Didn't even take my middle of the night Tylenol. I certainly don't recommend this method, but hey, it worked. Think I gained another 2-3% flexion. Now to jeep working so I don't lose it.
 
Not sure what I did but I can barely move my right knee. Did just couple basic exercises, iced my knee and then did one load of laundry. It's pretty swollen also. I skipped my afternoon Tylenol and boy am I sorry. Doubt if I will do that again for a while. I cut out the middle of the night one with no problem.

My knee hasn't hurt this bad in weeks. Actually since the hospital. Most of my pain has been in the quad.Rght now I can't even walk on it without sharp pains. Guess I'll find out how good the Tylenol is soon. Got to go to the fridge for more ice. Fun! Now... where's my cane?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, knee is doing better this AM. Swelling is down but I'm getting ready to ice. Soreness is still there but much better. I think one of my new exercises did it, which is marching in place raising the thigh as high as I can. Didn't hurt when I was doing It yesterday but when I tried it this AM I could definitely feel it where it hurts now. So I think I will definitely slow down on that one. The good news is that the Tylenol did the trick. Did not skip the middle of the night dose this time.

Wonder what surprises my knees will give me today.
 
I'm so glad it's feeling better! I was going to ask you (before I read this last one) if it came on suddenly. The fact that it didn't is good news. Probably like you said a strain during exercise. Whew!


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@JustJeff You don't get little twinges, aches or spikes of pain for no apparent reason, things you thought you had progressed through and were done with weeks ago? I still do.
 
I get them of course but what sleenie described seemed worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I was really worried. It didn't really hurt when doing it, just a bit of discomfort. The tough part was walking until pain subsided and swelling decreased. Guess my knee was saying "No way, I'm not ready for that much work." Still need to create it though. Taking it easy today. Need to sit at my desk for a while...we'll see how that goes. I'm sure I'll end up in the recliner with my laptop. (And ice)
 
Three times since I came out of surgery have I done things that gave me extra swelling: I had a spilled lemonade episode that sounds much like your bug episode @sleenie . I jumped up without thinking, putting the full force of my weight on the poor knees. I also sat in a chair too low for me to be able to transfer my weight to my arms. And once I purposely got up using my legs only to push. All were big mistakes. If I thought I'd broken any adhesions, it would have been worth it!! As it was, I needed a few days of rest, elevation and ice before the shock through my knees subsided. The good news is you will recover from it!
 
Ok...saw another one disguise big bugs today. Good news is it was on the TV. Managed to get rid if it but not before a picture. Looks like it is a wood beetle if some sort. I have not been able to take the excess wood outside because of my knees. Decided that I would just have to haul it out a little bit at a time. (Hey, wood is heavy) I brought in a small carrier on wheels and have about 50% done. Will finish in the AM so I don't overdo it. That's not how I want to gain ROM.. LOL
 
Everyone has those little mis adventures, glad you are on the mend.
 
Swelling and pain dimished this AM. Going to try and do a few exercises and then ice. Need to make sure I don't overdue it again. Need to do some light work on the quads. Went to bed after midnight thinking I would sleep really well. No such luck. Went to sleep right away but woke up early in pain (knees on top of one another) and finally st got up at 5am. Tylenol wasn't due for another hour. Once I got up the pain subsided. There is a nap in my near future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom