TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my follow up with OS today. (Go back in 3 months) Things looked good and he was happy. Thinks the ROM will continue to get better as long as I continue to work hard. I finally got a copy of the surgery report. I didn't read it though until later. Wish I had because now I have questions. Been able to lookup most. Seems that once they got in the right knee, he found that it was almost devoid of the PCL so did a PCL sacrificing procedure. I looked that up and have a pretty good idea now of what that is. But the notes indicate there was "significant overgrowth in the notch". What is the notch? Is that where the PCL was suppose to be? And what was the overgrowth? Anyone know? @Josephine do you know?

Might have been better off not reading it. LOL But now i have a better understanding of the difference in my knees and their recovery.
 
PCL sacrificing procedure
YOu can read all about that wither on the BoneSmart website or here Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos.
But the notes indicate there was "significant overgrowth in the notch". What is the notch?
The notch is the intracondylar notch, being the space between the two condyles of the lower femur. It also accommodates the anterior and posterior cruciates. It's not uncommon to have excess bone (or bone spurs) grow in there as they will all over the place!

[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
 
Great .day. Had blood tests done and all results were normal. I'm no longer anemic and everything was great. Even my A1C was better than I expected...5.2 Not sure how that happened but I'll take it.

Had PT today and ROM is improving by leaps and bounds. She may dump me soon. I actually enjoy going though. She's getting me ready for the gym.

Sleeping well and off pain meds unless I'm going to go walking and I take 2 Tylenol 30 min before. (Just in case)
I'm working on my accounts again and actually picked up 2 new ones so things are defintiely progressing. Yippee!!
 
I actually had 98% sleep efficiency last night. I slept 10:45 straight thru till my Fitbit vibrated. That'actually is the first time since before my surgery I slept that we'll, although my sleep has been pretty good the past few weeks.

Been 13 weeks now since my bilateral and I see major improvements daily. Lots planned for the weekend, going to try hard bot to overdo it. Headed to Farmers Market and then to the Indian Pow Wow. (Then home to ice)

Hope everyone has a great day and great weekend.
 
Interesting weekend. Headed to the Farmers Market and then went to the Indian Pow Wow afterwards. I took my cane because I knew it would be in an open field and would be really crowded. So glad I did. Decided to do handicap parking since it would be closer. Problem was it was in an open field that had not been mowed. Lots of rocks,ruts and just uneven ground. Regular parking was better. But so glad I had my cane, kids also ran rampant and almost knocked down a few times.

But was there for several hours and had a great time. Was really tired when I got home, but no knee pain or swelling. Things are definitely getting better, including ROM.

Headed to Santa Fe tomorrow and will be doing lots of walking. And no pain pills either since last week. Things are looking up.
 
The farmers market sounds fun! Glad to hear you knees did not cause you any problems later.
Have fun in Santa Fe!
 
Went to the Taos Fiesta today. Large crowds and out of control kids running around. Had lots of fun and did lots of walking. No problems with my knees other than a little stiffness with my problem child, the right one. My ROM is continuing to improve. Still have to use the cane because my right knee still gives out in a while. That gets so frustrating.

No more festivals for a little while but going to hit a couple of the smaller hiking trails next weekend. Having eye surgery on Aug 1st so that will hold me back for a week or two. Will have to delay heavy duty PT but walking and basic exercises I can start after 2 days.

Hard to believe it's been over 3 months. Started off slow but but things have been improving each week. Doing things and going places I couldn't before. Now if my right knee will cooperate and catch up to the left one, I would be even happier.
 
Hooray for you!!! Let the fun begin!!
 
Well, I found my next hurdle. This weekend I'm going to hike along the Rio Grande Gorge. This is supposedly a 10 Mike trail along the gorge that is supposedly be pretty flat. In fact, the article said even your Grandmother could walk it. Guess that means i can do it. Lol Of course I have NO intention of walking all 10 miles but I should be able to do a couple. The view is gorgeous so i hardly wait.
 
Good for you! I'd love to walk y that with you. We're doing weekly walks now along abandoned train tracks that have been reconditioned into walking and bike talks. Good wishes going your way for your eye surgery.
 
Went for my hike this AM. Walked 2.5 miles, not as great as @JustJeff but for me the most I've done in many years. Left my walking stick at home (by mistake) so I was a little afraid since my right knee gives out once in a while, but it is getting better. I was told my grandmother caould walk this trail. Not mine! Parts were very easy others had lots of lava rock. But regardless, it was a beautiful hike and my knees do not hurt! Yippee!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
    Bridge.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 244
  • [Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
    Trail.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 202
Good for you @sleenie! I also like the pics. Can you actually enjoy the scenery while you are having to be so careful walking on that uneven trail? :)
 
Thanks, Yes, I actually stopped fior a while to appreciate the view. It wasn't' t so uneven all the time. About a mile in there was a bench and I Didn't even so down. It's a 10 mile trail and I hope to go further each time
 
Love the pics! One of my goals is to walk the trail around a new park they opened recently in my town. I haven't tried yet: it's still WAY too hot for that and I'm only 8 weeks post-op. I am a total wimp when it comes to heat and when the morning temp is in the 80s, it's too hot! But by the time the weather is cool enough for me to consider an outdoor walk (mid-October?), the knees should hopefully be up to it!
 
I totally understand the heat. Th as t' s why I left Dallas. I walked early and the temp was in the low 60's. It reached 90 in the afternoon. Our evenings and mornings at cool.

And 8 week I was only a whopping at the grocery store. Lol I Didn't start walking outside until after 9 weeks. But hang in there, it won't be long before you'll be hiking all over.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom