Guest viewing is limited

TKR 12 Months since my TKR.

Just a quick update on the progress made.
It's just over a week since surgery and my knee seems fine. I do have a swelling but nothing to get the ice bucket out for. I have rested like I have never rested before. I still have pain but, not on the scale I thought I'd encounter, far from it.

I can walk without crutches, but I do use them in case I fall or slip. As for pain, I hardly feel anything, the only pain I get is when I have wake up and been sleeping other than on my back. I do struggle to lift my leg to put on my shorts but that will come in time. I have scrutinised this web site for information that has come to serve me well, without it I may well have suffered. A big thank you to the moderators and regular posters who give up their valuable time to help people like myself get through a difficult and worrying time.

I'm having the clips out next Monday, two weeks after surgery but I have to keep the white socks on for at least six weeks. I can lift my leg without too much difficulty and I regularly do the exercises shown. I have another seven injections to go before I can begin to enjoy a beer or a wine.

I am a CAMRA member and an avid beer lover who loves all the Real Ales and Craft Brewery beers that are available today. I have just ordered many American sour beers from a beer mail order company ready for my celebrations of being osteo free in my right knee.

Cheers all Denn.
Wow Awesome, I’m right behind you 1 week Post Op today!!!
Suggestion for shorts put shorts on TKR leg
First... sliding foot into shorts at floor level and then putting in the good leg!
I too like this site for the information and being with those going through the same thing as me!
I know the feeling of resting .... it’s been a great week ice, exercise and rest!! Kind of lovin it something that I haven’t done in Years Rest! Guess it does a
Body good and for me so far so good!!
Continue to heal and we will be up and running soon!
 
Thank you SusiB for your reply and hope your doing as well.
I think I have found that method of putting on shorts, it took a few attempts but I got there.
Whilst I have the strip covering the wound I shall always wear shorts.

I am being taken out next week after my injections have been completed, a friend will be taking me for a pint, his Daughter will collect me and bring me back home and I am desperately looking forward to that.

Do I really need ice if my leg is not even reached the moderate on the scale which I saw pictured on the site?

My bend is getting a little better and my wife assists me with the straightening whilst I sit on the floor.

Cheers and kind regards Denn.
 
I’m so glad you are doing so well and that your pain level is at a manageable level! I remember how worried you were. I’m so glad your worst fears did not come true! Best wishes!
 
Ice isn't only for the swelling, though it's excellent for that, but also helps tone down the pain. If you have neither pain nor swelling, then you don't need it. However... (yes, I'm doing a however)... you still have swelling, even if not a great deal of it. You have swelling inside the knee capsule and that swelling is what's impeding your bend still. So some nice icing and elevating several times a day will still be of help to you.

Your recovery, of course, is customized for you... by you. You know best what you need and what works the most magic. If your knee is doing well and you're happy with your pain level and how well your knee moves, that's the only opinion that matters. :)

It sounds to me like you're doing really well for so early in recovery! I guess it helps to have that pint to look forward to next week. :cheers:
 
Just another update as to my progress.

I seem to be able to walk fine without walking aids and I shall attempt today at some point a walk upstairs and back down again.
Bending is a slight problem and straightening also but not too bad at the moment. I thought it would be a lot worse. When I'm sat reading or watching TV my pain levels are probably 1 on a scale of 1-5 and not too much more when I'm walking.
I can't say I have had trouble sleeping, quite the opposite, I still wake desperate for a pee at least three times, but, last night I must have fallen asleep before 11pm last night and slept in until just before 10am.

My leg is still warm but not as swelled, I know I'm free from Osteo in that knee and as yet my other knee doesn't seem as bad as it was before.
I know time is the healer and time is what I have on my side.

I had a call from the Hospital yesterday asking if I needed any more pain relief and my general condition. The caller said someone from the local Health service would be calling at some point today, just to witness progress and report back to the surgeon and his team. My only gripe is having to wear these white socks, they're a tad uncomfortable and a nightmare for the wife to put them back on.

So there you have it, only four more warfarin injections to go progress has been made, and like this site tells us, rest is the key.
Dennis.
 
You are doing very well! Your outlook is great! I’m so happy for you!
 
@denn I’m a fan of sour beer too. I can’t find many breweries in z
North Carolina that carry it. Not that many people like sours. I guess it’s an acquired taste.
 
How wonderful you have no trouble with sleeping! So many do. You are one of the lucky ones. :sleeep:
 
Heh you and me sound like ever Drs dream patient! I’m 9days out and got the ole cane today... he’s just afraid of falls! So, guess it will be my friend when going out!!
No outside Pt and do it myself exercising!
We both have the we can attitude and we will... unless something pops up!
Be well and continue to be better every day!!!
 
One thing I have noticed is a numbness on the side of my leg, i also have a slight dent which is worrying. When I touch or run my fingers on it there is no feeling for about 6-8 inches, has anyone got this or had?
Denn.
 
All of us have had it. It goes away in time.
 
Phew, thank goodness for that, I thought I was loosing the feeling in my leg.

Denn
 
We have what's called a brewpub about a mile away that specializes in sours. I prefer a fairly bitter IPA. Oregon is a hotbed for "real beer." We're lucky! Plus my husband loves to home-brew. I realize this has about zero to do with knee replacements, but I look forward to your review of North American sours.
 
Wow sounds like some serious beers. Plenty Brewpubs close to the Town which I live, most mainly open weekends.
Tomorrow I'm having these clips taken out so I hope I don't have anymore suffering. I have just injected myself with this Fragmin stuff for the last time (for this knee anyhow) I can now enjoy a beer or two later this coming week.
I'm walking fine now but with a limp and a click each time I straighten my leg, sincerely hope this goes away. Seems as if I have one leg longer than the other, don't fancy walking like a duck when I'm ready to venture out. I shall still use the crutches when I need to be on my feet for more time than I should and to go to the surgery tomorrow. I shall refrain from driving until I'm told otherwise and will get a Taxi, all the rest of the family are at work and the wife doesn't drive.

I shall write a short update as to how it went at some point tomorrow.

Regards Denn.
 
Yes, let us know how your visit to the OS went. As for one leg seeming longer than the other, that may not be the actual case. Sometimes knees (pre-op or post-op) have shortened tendons at the back of the knee, usually from years of pain and/or deformity, and one leg may act like it’s shorter even if it isn’t. I had this pre-op. I limped from pain, but also because my left knee’s tendons had shortened. After I had both knees replaced... the left knee still had shortened tendons, which took several months to stretch back out to normal. (They do stretch back out, but it can take a while, just like it took a while for them to shorten.) So that might be the case with your knees. Just a thought.
 
Well that wasn't as bad as I expected.
Just has all those clips removed, around twenty five or so. They only placed a small dressing where a slight blistering was and left the rest exposed. Seems like it has healed quite well and can only get better.

My only concern is this clicking each time i put my leg forward walking, sincerely hope that goes away in time.

I really need the use of my vehicle as the cost of taxis are not cheap. The local surgery is the other side of Town from me so it cost ten pounds return trip, could have bought a few beers with that.

Regards Denn
 
My only concern is this clicking each time i put my leg forward walking, sincerely hope that goes away in time.
I'm seven weeks post op. One day my knee clicks when I walk, the next day it doesn't. It is totally schizophrenic!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom