Guest viewing is limited

TKR 12 Months since my TKR.

Wow sounds like some serious beers. Plenty Brewpubs close to the Town which I live, most mainly open weekends.
Tomorrow I'm having these clips taken out so I hope I don't have anymore suffering. I have just injected myself with this Fragmin stuff for the last time (for this knee anyhow) I can now enjoy a beer or two later this coming week.
I'm walking fine now but with a limp and a click each time I straighten my leg, sincerely hope this goes away. Seems as if I have one leg longer than the other, don't fancy walking like a duck when I'm ready to venture out. I shall still use the crutches when I need to be on my feet for more time than I should and to go to the surgery tomorrow. I shall refrain from driving until I'm told otherwise and will get a Taxi, all the rest of the family are at work and the wife doesn't drive.

I shall write a short update as to how it went at some point tomorrow.

Regards Denn.

Hi there I got my Staples out last Thursday... it does feel much better without the hardware! I’m having a little issue of which I will write something on my thread about! Knee is still tight!
Hope your recovery continues to go well!

SusieB
 
I enjoyed my first evening out last night at the local pub quiz.
Got dropped off but I walked back without crutches no problem. The distance was just under half a mile and felt no discomfort what so ever. Even my other knee didn't cause me much of a problem and I now await the call to drive my car once again. I find it so difficult knowing the car is there but I cannot use it.

Kind regards Denn.
 
Just a day over four weeks since my op and so far so good. I do have a bit of soreness at the top of where the cut starts just above the knee. I also seem to have more of my leg covered by that numbness. It began with just an area on the outside of my leg but, this seems to have spread down to my ankle region.
So far I have done everything by the book and can say only those I have pointed out have been a worry.

Kind regards Denn
 
Sounds like you are having a great recovery! I believe @Beckadeez said her numb spot also got bigger. Nerves can be very temperamental when they are messed with.
 
Yes, mine got bigger also. It was a quarter-sized spot on my knee and is now half of my knee.
 
I know this is slightly off topic but it's what I wrote last week and is a slight exaggeration of my op and experiences in poetical form.

Before I had my knee op
I was told to lose some weight
I tried my best lose some
But for me it came too late
Cos my op came much more sooner
Much sooner than I thought
I tried my best to lose some
But my weight loss came up nought

When the day of the op finally arrived
A new knee I received
So glad the worst was over
Which made me quite relieved
But before the op was due to start
Apprehension got to me
But I simply had to go ahead
If I wanted my new knee

So up to the ward I was taken
I was Still numb from the waist down
I felt so bloomin helpless
Lying here in a hospital gown
But it wasn’t very long before they came
To get me out of bed
I said I couldn’t feel my feet
So they left me there instead

They visited me with a menu
As to what I wanted for tea
A three course meal on offer
That will do for me
But I was feeling so hungry
My stomach began to rumble
I couldn’t wait till tea time came
For my custard and apple crumble

I was beginning to enjoy my stint
It was great whilst being pampered
Then it all went belly up
Coz my sleep was being hampered
Those nurses visited me every single hour
For blood pressure to be taken
As soon as I fell asleep
They came again and kept me waken

By now I was getting so fed up
I was absolutely tired
More tablets swallowed and blood pressure taken
And injections that were required
I’d more perforations than a tea bag
And I still hadn’t been to the bog
But when it finally arrived
It resembled a yule log

I thought I’d need a lumberjack’s help
To get this darn to flush
But I caught the red help button
Then a nurse came in a rush
I see you’ve had your bowels moved
How much better must you feel
My bum is now as sore as my leg
So much for a three course meal.

So now I’m finally home
I must sit with my leg on a stool
I must keep my knee elevated
With plenty ice to keep it cool
I’m struggling with these injections
And I cannot enjoy a beer
Life is temporarily on hold
As I’m still stuck in first gear.

I ask myself was this worth the wait
As recovery will take much time
I know it will be a struggle
More like a mountain I’ll have to climb
But if the aches and pains are gone from me
It’s worth it in the end
I can feel I’m free from Osteo
And my knee is on the mend.
 
I have a friend who writes rhyming songs, she usually uses the tune “Happy and You Know It”. She wrote me a doozy after my surgery!

Last year we had a problem with our hubcaps falling off our car, she wrote a song for my husband about that, to the tune of Jingle Bells, since it was December. It’s hysterical! :rotfl:
 
Thank you and glad it gave you all a bit of a giggle.

I have written hundreds of funny rhymes during the past ten years or so which caught the interest of a publisher here in the UK. We shared the risk of publication and my shares from the sales went to a local charity. I have written many songs which a local band use.

I have also had another book published all about the funny antics we got up to whilst I was working as a Plasterer, this book went national and made quite a lot for the charity I support. Because of this that publisher also contributed towards it also.

By the way, that Rhyme was slightly exaggerated but, could be true for many.

Kind regards Denn.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Denn:

I'm still clicking too. Some days worse than others. My Therapist said it's because of the swelling and possible fluid accumulation and should go away over time. Then she said, "with some people it never goes away but it shouldn't hurt." The problem is there are times that it does hurt when I straighten from doing. a rep or on the bike. I'm ok with regular walking.

Are you still taking pain medication? I have good days and bad days with the pain. We had another snow storm yesterday and I'm told the weather isn't helping. I am now taking Tramadol on the days I have PT. I am not sure how many refills, if any I can get. My healthcare system is pulling back on opioids.

I hope you are doing well.
 
It's a strange one this clicking. Depending on the position I am in, ie, sitting or walking I can feel the joint. Pain killers, I do take them but not as often as I did, I do take them before I go to bed as they do assist me sleeping.

I took public transport and went to the Gym yesterday, my family were against me going but, I went. I only did a short stint and worked on upper body and not the legs. I was desperate to try the cross trainer (these are like those ski machines) and decided to give it a go. Pre op I used to do twenty mins but did 5 ok. I wont be going again for a while because my knee was a tad sore last night but I haven't told the wife else I'd get a roasting.

My knee is so stiff in the mornings and after sat a while, I do believe this is normal but I'm wondering if I can aggravate the knee by using it too much too soon. I get a lot of discomfort when I elevate my leg, with my heel firmly on the stool and toes pointing upwards. I can probably stand this for a few mins only but then when I come to bend my knee the pain increases.

I shall be taking it easy for a while yet in order for things to settle down

Kind regards Denn.
 
I wont be going again for a while because my knee was a tad sore last night but I haven't told the wife else I'd get a roasting.
I had to smile when I read this!

Now that you got that out of your system you can relax and let the knee heal some more, maybe a lot more, before you try again. You are still very early in your recovery.

You sound like you really are coming along well. There’s lots of up and downs to this recovery but you are handling them well.
 
I get a lot of discomfort when I elevate my leg, with my heel firmly on the stool and toes pointing upwards. I can probably stand this for a few mins only but then when I come to bend my knee the pain increases.

How are you doing this elevation of the leg? Heel on the stool, butt on the chair and... nothing under the knee? If so, that lack of support is straining your hamstring tendons and muscle, and stressing the still-healing tissues of the knee capsule. That exercise/position is one you can use later on for helping stretch the hamstring tendons for extension, if you wish. Right now, at only four weeks out, I would say you should do less of it. It completely explains the pain you feel right after and maybe also some of your pain overall.

Here's a link on the Do's and Don't of Elevation. These ways are how you should be doing it for icing and resting.

Overall, you appear to be doing really well. Testing your knee once in a while to see if it can handle something doesn't hurt it, unless you attempt too much, and you clearly know this so are being sensible. I think it's adorable how your wife worries for you!
 
Denn:

You are an inspiration! I love your poem and today was a great day for me to read it as I am having one of those I need a good laugh days.

Public transport to the gym? You are very brave. I did 3/4 of a mile on the bike on day and haven't been able to get near that since. Overdid it I think.

Michelle
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom