TKR 12 Months since my TKR.

Hi all. I haven't been visiting the site for a while so I thought I'd just give an update as to how things are progressing.
I'm walking about each day but I do rest a lot. My left knee is the problem now, I realise before I had two like it. I walk the dog most day's but I do get a lot of stiffness from my new knee which does give me quite some discomfort. Like before my op, rising from a chair is the same as it was pre op, I have to hold on to the furniture until the stiffness disappears. As it stands, my TKR knee seems stiff each time I move and hope this goes away in time. It also appears to be quite painful bending and straightening.

I haven't returned to the Gym or driving my car, I do see the Surgeon in two weeks time so I shall leave it until he gives me the go ahead. By going to the Gym I don't really want to aggravate the knee and do untold damage.

The first time I walked properly my knees ached the day after as if starting exercising all over again, fitness will only return once I do begin normal training again.
 
I have an issue with stiffness when I first stand up also. Especially getting out of bed. I'm a few weeks further out than you but the thing that helps me the most to get rid of it is to get on my stationary bike for a few minutes. It really loosens my knees up. No resistance on bike.
 
As it stands, my TKR knee seems stiff each time I move and hope this goes away in time. It also appears to be quite painful bending and straightening.
All normal at this early stage in recovery.
the stiffness will probably linger for months - and that is normal too.
The first time I walked properly my knees ached the day after as if starting exercising all over again, fitness will only return once I do begin normal training again.
Your knee has been through major surgery that caused a lot of trauma. It needs time to heal and recover.
It doesn't matter how fit you were before surgery. Your knee will still need to take a long time to recover fully.

Fitness will return in due course, but at the moment most of your body's energy is being directed towards healing your knee. At this early stage, it's not a matter of needing to resume normal training, but of giving your knee time to heal before stressing it with exercise.
 
Hi Denn! At six weeks into recovery, your body is still doing some heavy-duty repair work inside the knee. In fact, you've just now reached the stage where the most major stuff --healing bone, replacing lost blood, knitting together the skin to keep out infection, and plugging all the leaks (cut blood vessels, etc.)-- is well underway but your body is still working at repairing lots of injured soft tissue. So lots of inflammation still going on under the surface. That's why your knee is still stiff; it still has swelling and work in progress.

At six weeks, my knees were still stiff on standing... especially if I'd been sitting for any length of time. Wow, did they hurt when I stood up. So that's completely normal. Annoying, but normal. They also still hurt when bending at that point.

For a long time, a few months, whenever I took a nice long walk, some of my leg muscles would complain. Even my butt muscles complained. My calves. My thighs. They were all out of shape and let me know it. But you know... after a few weeks, they stopped that. They're bigger now (muscle definition!) and stronger, and it happens just by using them. Fitness is something we can always get later. The healing has to come first, because we have to give it the good situation in which to take place. You're doing just the right thing by resting and elevating and icing, and not pushing the exercise for now.
 
Hi all.

Just a quick update before I sign off for a while.
Saw the Surgeon Friday 20thApril who was pleased by my recovery and therefore passed me fit for normal duties but, he told me to listen to the knee. I asked about the Gym, as long as I don't do anything vigorous he's fine for me to return. I can also drive now and will be able to go on a plane in another four weeks time. He asked if I wanted my left knee sorting in August, that would be six months after the right one. I said I would think about that one and should I decide to go ahead he told me to make a call so they can arrange a date. Otherwise he would see me twelve months from my operation which will be Feb 2019.

I'm not too sure if I want to go through it all again so soon after despite the pain I get from my left knee. I'm open suggestions about this.

I did visit a small beer festival on Saturday and I noticed the vast difference now to what I was like before. I managed to stand up most the afternoon which would have been impossible before.

Keep the faith
Dennis.
 
You are doing so well!

You will know when you are ready for the other one. It’s your decision.

I’m 13 months now and I’m going to give my knees lots more time before I consider another knee surgery.
 
What a positive update, Dennis! :yes!: :yay:
I'm glad things have gone so well for you.

You'll know when to get your other knee done. Until then, all the best.
Keep in touch if you can, but we'll see you back here when your other knee replacement is scheduled.
 
@denn - I had as close to a "normal" day today then I've had in almost a year. I'm 11.5 weeks out from my bilateral TKR and began to feel that I would never get to this point. But it suddenly happened, without me even being that aware of it. The whole family took my dog Bashi for a 1.5 mile walk this morning. Then, since the sun was shining for the first time since forever, I decided I was going to garden. Went to Home Depot and Walmart and loaded my little car with garden soil and plants. Got home and, with the help of my son in law, refilled the garden boxes with soil and then 4 yr old grand daughter and I planted the boxes. And then I came inside and made Sunday roast dinner!
This was the most amazing day ever. It's what happens to everyone, everyday, when they have 2 good knees.

I think sometimes we forget how "normal" people actually live their lives. So I'm a big YES!! Get your other knee fixed. It will be so worth it when you have two functional knees. And when you can just forget about your knees altogether!!
 
What a great report, Denn! You've done so well and can look forward to more improvement this summer while you visit beer festivals. :cheers: Here in the States there's some decline in the craft brewing industry, so fewer new offerings. People's tastes are changing again, I suppose.

I'll chime in with everyone else: you'll know when it's time to get your other knee done. Not only the knee has to be ready, you have to be ready. TKR is a grinding thing to go through (as you know only too well), so you have to be up for it.
 
I thank you all for the kind words and support both before my op and after. This site has given me lots of valuable information which did assist me in my recovery. The people on here have given me confidence to go ahead with the TKR and without your support I may have backed out, in fact, i would have.

I shall enjoy my recovery this summer and will consider the left knee whilst doing so.

I shall pop in now and again to read the new posts and if I can help anyone who had similar apprehension prior their op then so be it. Once again I thank everyone concerned with this site for their kind help and for taking the time to read my posts and to reply.
I am on twitter @beer_swiller and facebook under my own name.

Yours faithfully
Dennis Swift
 
Love reading your posting! You are a very kind gentleman, with a good ❤️.
 
Best Wishes Dennis! It has been an interesting adventure!! We are about on the same time frame from surgery.... I too have been told I’m good to go... I still have a little leak so that is about my only big concern!!
Please keep in touch we all have a special bond! I too don’t know what I would have done with out this wonderful site!!!

SusieB in Recovery!!
 
Hi all. I have returned to ask a question or two.

I am 4 months into TKR and all was going well. I began training again but my knee seems to giving me some grief. I still struggle to put on my socks and to remove them. My knee seems to be stiff as a board in the mornings and I struggle to get down the stairs. I still struggle to walk properly, maybe because my leg has been straightened where as I need TKR in my other knee.

A few weeks ago I was given the all clear to drive and begin training again, I was also given permission to use Aeroplanes. I found a holiday to Cyprus which we booked. The weather was hot but I did put factor 50 on my knee and kept it covered up some of the time. Even with a factor 50 my knee seemed to be on fire and I'm wondering if I have caused damage. Even since returning from holiday the weather here in the UK has been barmy and hot and shorts are all i have worn, leaving my knees exposed.

I went out for a day last week where I struggled to walk, my other knee is giving me more pain than I ever thought it would. I'm now getting pains in my hip in the side where I need a new knee. I was told at the Gym it could be because one leg is straighter than the other and the weight isn't correctly distributed.
Over to you guys.
Dennis
 
@denn

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on
 
A few weeks ago I was given the all clear to drive and begin training again
I was also given permission to use Aeroplanes. I found a holiday to Cyprus which we booked.
I think these two thing have probably combined, to put more stress on your knee than it is ready for, and it's reacted by taking a step backwards.
If you can cut out your training for a while and spend more time resting, icing and elevating your knee, that may help it to settle down again.

Remember that it does take a full year for your complete recovery, so your knee is only about a third of the way through that. It's still only a young child.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you, too. She will probably want to ask you a lot of questions. Do try to answer them as fully as possible, so that she has all the information she needs, to answer you appropriately.
 
I am 4 months into TKR and all was going well. I began training again but my knee seems to giving me some grief.
Oh dear - I wonder why?
I was also given permission to use Aeroplanes.
Do you mean to fly on holiday or are you a pilot of some kind?
my other knee is giving me more pain than I ever thought it would.
'other' knee? You haven't told us which knee had the replacement so can you be more specific?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Hi Josephine.
Thank you for your rapid intervention of my current dilemma. You don't need to tell me regarding the Gym, I'm under intense pressure from my GP to lose weight. (I do have type 2 Diabetes) I seem to have put on over a stone in weight since TKR which seems to have given my GP more cause for concern. I also seem to have chill blanes in my left big toe. My GP is also concerned about TKR, he asked me how I was to which my reply was" I feel great and pleased I underwent TKR" he told me i was not out of the woods yet. He's an arrogant Doctor, strict and seems to be annoyed that I defied his instructions not to have this operation.

I do wish I was a pilot but, unfortunately certain skills are beyond me. I went on holiday to Cyprus but managed to get around better than I would have before TKR.

I don't do any where near what I once did at the Gym, I now do more weights for upper body than lower. I do however spend around ten mins on the cross trainer where before I lasted over twenty.

I underwent TKR in my right knee in February of this year.
I saw the surgeon Mid March where I was given permission to drive and use Aeroplanes to go on vacation, providing I wore flight socks which i did. He also asked if I needed my left knee sorting and would happy to see me August, which would be six months after my right knee. I'm a tad unsure as to go ahead so soon after my first op but, many tell me I'd be all sorted for Christmas as opposed to waiting much longer.

We went to Cyprus 23rd May for a week.

My left hip seems to be giving me a bit of jip, I was told last year I had early stages of osteo there.

I do seem to be walking lop sided, and slowly.

I shall be happy to answer any questions you ask honestly.

Kind regards Dennis.
 
Last edited:
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] 12 Months since my TKR.


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Hi Dennis

You will definitely get good advice here but the trick is to follow it! I just passed my one year anniversary of my second knee replacement. The first was a breeze and really set me up for expectations of the second. You'll find that as you read all the posts that no one knee or person is alike and it's really important not to compare yourself to anyone else.

Like you at 3 1/2 months I flew from West coast to East coast for a 2 week trip that included cars, planes and automobiles. I really did quite well. My knee was still a bit stiff but wearing tubigrip or a zensah sleeve got me thru any days that I would be doing any significant walking.

What was weird ( and here's where the"you never know comes in ) suddenly a few months later, it was as if healing grinded to a halt. My ROM continued to improve quite nicely but I had ongoing stiffness and pain EVERYDAY. The pain was minor but constant. I continued my activities wearing my sleeve or tubigrip on a bad day and struggled constantly on the bad days with my mind swirling about what terrible thing could be wrong! Did I have an infection? was it loose? Was it too big? Would I need a revision? you name it...I feared it. Having this forum to get facts and also share these emotions was and continues to be a lifesaver!

I'm happy to report that this week it suddenly has JUMPED ahead and almost feels like my other knee. I am SO surprised.
SO the moral of my post is
-you never know
-listen to all the advice
-never give up
-BOOKMARK THIS FORUM
Wishing you the best

PS my left leg is 1/2 inch shorter than my right so I wear a heel lift. Had this before surgery, however
 
Answers to the questions.


1 Pain levels are minimum 1-2 but 4-5 in the morning.

2 I haven’t been prescribed anything really. I only take pain killers when needed and I cannot say I have needed them. Only for my left knee would I take them.

3 My leg isn’t swollen at all, there is no difference from my left knee to my TKR right knee.

4 On my last visit to see the surgeon he was happy my leg could stretch and bent over 100%

5 I don’t ice my knee.

6 my leg is more or less elevated especially when I sit in a chair. I always put my leg up onto another chair whilst watching TV or sat in the Garden like we have been doing recently.

7 Activity levels are quite high. I walk the dog most days, go shopping and do housework. I even did a small plastering job for my Daughter.

8 I visit the Gym three times per week where I do the crosstrainer, this is like the ski exercise machine. 10 mins on this. 30 reps of arm and chest and 30 reps of twisting, this is for waist. I do 15 mins on arm peddling, like a bike but for arms. 200 reps of crunches at 25 reps per time, this for stomach. I sometimes do 5 mins rowing or 10 mins on the bike. I finish with fifteen mins of stretching(floor ) exercises, yet, I still struggle to put my socks on. I seem to get aches in my thighs, probably from exercising.

At home I don’t do any exercises.

Kind regards Dennis.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom