Guest viewing is limited

TKR 12 Months since my TKR.

My legs were never elevated in the hospital or rehab hospital unless I either did it myself or politely requested (or bossed) someone into helping me. So a lot of the time they weren't elevated. I was very happy to get home where I could properly elevate. And I too suffered a little from low blood pressure. It's not uncommon, I hear. You lost a bit of blood and are taking meds that are new to you. You'll get that straightened out, and the bathroom thing, too.

You're doing the right thing to take the meds for constipation. Pain killers tend to stop one up, and you might as well combat this tendency. It will help a lot, too, when you are able to walk around. Walking stimulates the colon. After my colon resection, my surgeon advised me to take daily walks to help the bowel. Walking it seems is good for everything!

You're doing fine, Denn. These first days are rough but things will get better.
 
Best wishes for a prompt recovery.

And please keep posting how recovery is progressing. Many of us will be following the same path soon.
 
It was a week and a half before I had a bowel movement after surgery. I was too miserable from my leg to worry about it. :bored:
 
I took Miralax 3 times a day and a stool softener as long as I was on the heavy meds. They really slow down our systems. I found that mixed nuts also helped me go. Plus, they gave me the protein my body needed to heal itself.

I self-elevated, too, at the hospital. I asked for an extra pillow and then doubled it. Keeping my knee completely straight was terribly painful. I had to stay an extra night, too, because of dizziness. It was so good to finally get home to take care of myself the way my knee needed me, to!
 
They didn’t elevate my leg in the hospital either. I also wasn’t able to lift my leg on my own. I put my other leg under it, and lifted it that way. It was several weeks before I could lift it with muscle strength. In addition, I didn’t have a bowel movement for a week or so after my surgery. Wasn’t eating much anyway. You’ll get there. Try to be patient and not worry about it.
 
Each time physio,s come to get me up I feel nausea and very faint. This is the second day without much therapy. It seems each time I try to get out of bed this comes on. Is it normal for bowels not to be moved? mine haven’t been moved since I came in. They gave me some stuff to help me go but, I’m struggling to get out of bed. The sign on the wall states 2 people each time I need to get up. I must admit I’m finding this difficult. Denn

Hi denn...I had the same issue with BP very low which made me nauseous. PT could not get me out of bed because I was white as a sheet and they feared I would pass out. I’m sure the blood loss, anesthesia, and pain meds also caused the low BP. At one point it was 88 (upper limit). I also did not have a bowel movement until after the 3rd day. They asked if I felt grumblings in my lower abdomen, which I did and the hospital staff wasn’t too worried. So it is normal.

The road to recovery has been hard for me. I’m 6 weeks post op.

Hang in there and follow the Bonesmart way.

All the best!!
 
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Denn
 
Almost 5am here in the Hospital and I wake with no nausea and hope to make progress with physio later on. The only pain I have is muscular and not very much from the direct cut. It has gone much better than anticipated. Just got out of bed, again without assistance and walked to toilet which is only in sane room. Denn
 
Glad there’s no nausea. Sounds like you’re doing well. I had to have assistance going to the bathroom. Hope you have a good day.
 
1.45 pm and I have been discharged yippee. Did physio where I navigated stairs perfectly and I have a knee flex of 87 %, I’m going for X Ray soon then will have to wait for tablets. They also have to show me how to inject warfarin into my tummy. Now this is not my forte and I have never looked when having them. Im to be shown very soon but these are only for 10 days So by then then I’ll be getting used to it.
 
Yay for being discharged!
Boo for having to give yourself shots! :yikes:
I’m glad I didn’t have to do that!
 
Hi Jockette. apparently it’s like being a type 1 diabetic for ten days. The needle isn’t that long and I seem to have a bit of spare flab which cushions the needle. Not looking forward to it but at least it’s only for ten days.
 
The actual knee pain isn’t as bad as I expected, it’s from my knee to top of my leg, is this normal.

Hi Denn! I was surprised by the pain at the top of my leg as well. I was suitably informed it was because they tie a tourniquet around the top of your leg to minimise bleeding. This in turn bruises the quads. Once that starts to ease off everything seems a little bit easier, such as lifting your leg in and out of bed haha. This time next week you will feel a bit better. Follow the advise of the good Smarties on here and you won’t go wrong, they are angels in disguise x
 
The actual knee pain isn’t as bad as I expected, it’s from my knee to top of my leg, is this normal.
8am Wednesday 28th Feb 2018. A better nights sleep has left me quite groggy but, just had bowl is cereal. I struggled to pee in those bottles again so I had to force myself from the bed which was a difficult task. Not had bowels moved since op but, they did ask last night if I wanted anything for it, I had to decline. No doubt they will give me that this morning. They haven’t elevated my leg as yet which left me baffled. There is no swelling as yet. Denn

Take the poo medicine, trust me you will be thankful in a few days time haha x
 
You'll get used to injecting yourself and it will become the simplest of things for you to do. Hooray for doing stairs (surprising how easy they are... not painless, just not difficult), and having that excellent early bend. I left the hospital with about that same bend. It's right in the bullseye.

You will be so happy to be home. All your familiar things are there, and you can manage your own time and your own recovery. Home is a great place to recuperate. :)
 
Last edited:
Glad you are doing better! Those first couple of days are rough! Things should be looking up.

My bp was nice and normal first day and a half, and then, once my IV failed, all my bp readings were high.

We bring our own meds to the hospital in Switzerland, so I also packed a few packets of my favorite laxative, which the nurse was happy for me to take. Had a bowel movement third day.

This time, i’m taking anti thrombosis pills, but the shots aren’t so bad.

Hope you will be comfortable and happy at home!
 
I too had to do two weeks of injections because I can't take aspirin. At first our insurance wouldn't cover it and it was $600 out of pocket! I can't remember the name of the drug. Fortunately it got straightened out and we just had a reasonable copay. You just start at 12:00 above your belly button and advance by about 10 minutes around each shot. That way you will get six shots in six days in six different locations and it's easy to remember.
 
Ps I gave myself a little enema with warm water on day three. Felt much better and things were regular after that. I took docusate stool softeners twice a day.
 
Wow and thanks for all your kind remarks.
I was discharged and collected from Hospital around 4pm uk time 1st March. My first evening home was great to be pampered etc but I still need to try and do what my knee will allow me to do.
My first night in my own bed was superb, no Nurses calling in to take BP etc and I also enjoyed a lie in until around 8-30 this morning. I only got out of bed once for a pee which I navigated the rout to the bathroom quite well.
I need to begin my exercises but I'm a tad sore this morning. I shall get round to doing them but will not be over doing it. All I have covering the wound is a strange elasticated plaster strip type of thing which seems transparent. Following the Physio's strenuous routine of bending I have blood showing through, they said that was normal so I guess nothing to worry about.
My leg has swelled slightly so today I may just get some ice on it. It is noticeable but not a massive swell.
My pain is very low and have been in worse pain for minor cuts and bruising. I have taken the meds for this morning so it is now a case for just relax and let nature take it's course.
Thank you all once more Denn.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom