TKR 12 Months since my TKR.

You left stuff out of your answers
2 I only take pain killers when needed.
But what meds, how much do you take and at what times/

4 On my last visit to see the surgeon he was happy my leg could stretch and bent over 100%
does that mean 100% or 100 degrees? And what was the number given on your extension (straightening)?

7 Activity levels are quite high. I walk the dog most days, go shopping and do housework. I even did a small plastering job for my Daughter.
Details please - I need details!

8 I visit the Gym three times per week
Again you've missed out the details. I did ask
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
 
Gym 2-3 times per week depending on my motivation.
I seldom take tablets if any at all for pain. I have only used a gel (I believe) and that i apply to my left knee. I always said, over the counter pain killers don't work and my GP will not prescribe any stronger.
Walking the dog is probably just over a mile and that will be probably 4-5 times per week depending on which family member is available to walk her. Shopping, we visit by car then a stroll through the store for twenty mins.
I think I put the amount of reps i do at the gym.
I'm not too sure what the flex actually was, he mentioned "ahh, that's over 100%. I think he meant degrees. I can straighten my leg and bend it but I couldn't kneel up and lean back.

I know it's a pain trying to get all the information but I hope this is what you need. If not, I shall accept a smack on the wrist and try again.
 
Hi Denn. Sorry to hear you’re having this pain in your knee. Sounds like it was healing really well. What’s happening on the stairs, it being a little more difficult now, could well be because your leg is straighter and your gait is different. Are you getting your other knee replaced? Sometimes that helps a lot, because the knees “match” again. Our bodies prefer to be in alignment.

Stay cool this summer! :ice:
 
You might skip the cross trainer for a while.
 
I am 4 months into TKR and all was going well. I began training again but my knee seems to giving me some grief. I still struggle to put on my socks and to remove them. My knee seems to be stiff as a board in the mornings and I struggle to get down the stairs. I still struggle to walk properly, maybe because my leg has been straightened where as I need TKR in my other knee.
I'm quoting this just to remind me ...
1 Pain levels are minimum 1-2 but 4-5 in the morning.
That's concerning. But when you say 'in the morning' as you talking about 4am, 8am or later?
2 I haven’t been prescribed anything really. I only take pain killers when needed and I cannot say I have needed them. Only for my left knee would I take them.
You're telling me that you don't even take Tylenol for the morning pain?
8 I visit the Gym three times per week where I do
crosstrainer for 10 mins
30 reps of arm and chest and 30 reps of twisting for the waist.
15 mins on arm peddling
200 reps of crunches at 25 reps per time for stomach.
5 mins rowing
or 10 mins on the bike
15 mins of stretching (floor) exercises
I still struggle to put my socks on. I seem to get aches in my thighs, probably from exercising.
Two things I suggest you stop are crossed out.

But how do you do abdominal crunches? I found this Youtube but am not too sure about it because I cannot imagine doing these without putting stress on the knee. And doing as many as you do is surely a stress on the knees and could account for your pain. The person in the vid even mentions putting focus point on the knee cap (at about 65secs)

It's also not uncommon for such pain to take a while to manifest.

 
The machine I use doesn't really place any pressure on the knees. It's a machine where you determine which weight you use. I use 15 kilos which is next to the lowest. I sit upright place my hands through a loop and pull down, I do 200 at 25 reps. this takes around 15 mins to complete between rest breaks. My feet are only used for support and places no pressure on the knees. I find that using the cycle puts more strain on my knees than using the rowing machine. Both stretch and straighten the knees but cycling seems harder to me.

Pain in the morning only lasts until I stand up and straighten the legs.
I do not use any sort of pain killers as my GP tells me they're addictive and can cause stomach ulcers etc. As I have stated before he's an arrogant sod and hates that I defied him and underwent the op.

I visited a beer festival on Saturday where I had to stand for a couple of hours. My knee did feel quite stiff when I began to walk. Once walking the pain disappears and my left leg takes over as the painful one. I was also talking to a large bloke who underwent TKR last November and he's a fell walker. He told me he'd walked to the summit of Mount Snowden in Wales a few weeks ago. He said he would not have been able to have done that without having the op. He gets very little pain from his knee and also has not taken pain killers since his release from Hospital and home recovery.
Kind regards Denn
 
What a good report! You are coming along really well!
 
The machine I use doesn't really place any pressure on the knees.
I wouldn't be thinking about the knees themselves but it must place some pressure/strain on the muscles around the knee, surely?
 
Hi Josephine.

I have just returned from the gym and no pressure at all are on the legs whilst using this machine. You can use it and raise your legs whilst doing the crunches. I was chatting with one of the physio/trainers in the gym who asked me if I knew a certain member. The person he was telling me about usually goes to the gym in the evenings and he recently underwent his second TKR roughly at the same time as myself. He booked a personal trainer for his recovery (at a cost) and he's training for the 10k in Manchester July of this year. He uses the machines I do plus the tread mill.

My other concern is the flex in my knees (both). I do find it a strange feeling whilst kneeling up but whilst in this position I feel lop sided. Should I attempt to kneel up I fall forward and cannot sit back touching my bum with heels. Should this be something I should work on at the gym for a while?.

Kind regards Denn.
 
Well just because one person can do all that it doesn't mean you have to or necessarily should yet. This is an "individual sport." :)
It is not unusual for the knee to feel stiff after standing an hour at 4 months.
 
Should I attempt to kneel up I fall forward and cannot sit back touching my bum with heels. Should this be something I should work on at the gym for a while?.
I have absolutely no idea! So sorry!
 
I couldn't find my thread from last year so here's my update.
It's been 12 months since my TKR and all seems well. Apart from slight aches and stiffness I'm back to my normal self.
I have managed to do housework right from the start but the past three months I have assisted a plumber who has installed a walk in shower cubicle replacing the bath tub. I have removed all plaster from the walls and replastered them. I have no struggles climbing the step ladders but still find kneeling difficult, not because of the pain but because I can't sit back on my haunches.

My left knee was also giving me some pain but this seems to have settled down since I had an injection. I asked my GP if this was a cortisone, he said it was similar but said this was a viscose supplementation which is like an oil that sits between the joint. I have delayed undergoing another TKR in the left knee for now.
Overall I am very satisfied with my new knee which has certainly given me a new lease of life.

Denn
 
Hi @denn

I'm glad you're happy with your new knee.

I've found your old recovery thread and merged your newest thread with it.
As you know, (but I'm adding the information for the sake of other people) we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom