MUA 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<

How wonderful to see how prayer has worked in your family and how exciting to get together celebrating each other. I'm sure it'll be worth the trip.
 
Thanks Paula and Tabby we sure have been blessed and prayer is powerful.
 
That's great news! I hope you have a blessed time visiting family in Canada. I have family there, too, and it's beautiful.
 
That's wonderful that your family can get together. It's when we have experienced challenges in our lives that we need them and above all prayers to keep us together.
 
Good morning my bonesmartie friends! Today I am 15 weeks post op and feeling great! Reflecting back over this journey so far I remember the first weeks as the most painful I've ever experienced and thinking why did I do this? Slowly over the following weeks, mistakes made because of lack of knowledge of what should have been my own control over recovery, I moved from excruciating to tolerable. Finding this site, following the bonesmart mantra my recovery has drastically improved. My extension is great, my bend is not but I am not stressed one bit about it. I look at it like this, I may be 15 weeks and my doctor is trying to see if we can get this pain to stop via the anti-inflammatory and if not, I'll deal with what comes next. I am so happy I did this! I'm not saying its all roses but I can always smell the blossoms. I can go on walks with my hubby again without any fear of my knee giving out - what a blessing! I know one day I'll be able to make a rotation on a bike and we will be back to riding our bikes together again.

Happy Friday :flwrysmile:
 
How inspiring Lynn @LFitz! Should I ever need to have my leftie done it will be better knowing if I can make it through the first 4wks, (I'll definitely sleep better next time around), things will start improving quickly. I realize challenging issues can & will come up. But how wonderful that we have the experience of many others here at bonesmart who have blazed the trail to better recoveries from joint replacements today!
 
Happy 15 week birthday to your knee!
That's a wonderful update, it's great when everything is beginning to feel worthwhile. Enjoy your walks and look forward to your bike rides!
Tabby xxx
 
Wow, I just had to post, I can actually see my patella graft again. Sounds crazy but when my patella was grafted years ago to make my acl it formed a very noticeable ridge on both sides of the graft that was completely noticeable on the front of my knee. Well I can see that again - it's off to the outside and not centered anymore (going to ask the doc about that at next appt as I hope it isn't a culprit in that bend stopping pain) but it's so cool to see this again. Off to do more cleaning :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
LFitz -
The spot right above the top of my incision is where I continually had pain - it would burn and feel like I was pulling the muscle apart. Then the squeaks and pops came. I spoke with my PT and she mentioned that the muscles and the new replacement are all learning to play well together and glide like they are suppose to - sounded plausible. I know it can be so frustrating!!!
 
I remember those sqeaks and pops, sure we're weird feeling. I don't really have them anymore. I really am so happy with my knee. The only issue I'm having is the bend because of the inside of the knee but it doesn't hurt at all only when I try to get past 75 hehe. Sharp pain and a thick feeling in the knee. But working through that with my doctor and we will see where that takes me. Cleaned my whole house today and feel great :loveshwr:
 
@LFitz -
Wow - cleaning and still feeling good! EXCELLENT! I am so jealous (In a good way). I took my grandchildren to the park yesterday (it was 90+) and I barely made it home. It was elevate and ice for the day. Hoping to get more done today. I remember that "thick" feeling and I swore my surgeon put a rock in my knee - seems the x-rays proved me wrong. :rotfl:
 
@LFitz - Lynn, how did you make the decision to switch to the Tylenol instead of the narcotics? Did you simply experiment one night to see what happened? The past couple of days have made me wonder what type of pain I would have without the Hydrocodone 7.5 but I fear getting behind the pain and having to play catch-up. I'm thinking the raw pain may be gone from the surgery (today is 19 days post-op) and that I may only feel stiffness in the knee.
 
@Nvstig8tr - Hi Bill, I was about the same time post op as you and chose to switch because I didn't like the feeling I had using the narcotic so I called my surgeon and asked if there was something else and they said many people found Tramadol a suitable alternative. And actually it was, but I didn't think it was suitable enough at night after a day of using the leg. But when I added the Tylenol with it it was perfect. I only ever had to do the 1 of 50 mg Tramadol with 1 Tylenol and I did this every 6 hours. I was able to go from every 6 hours to taking the combo 1st thing in the am and then just 1 Tylenol midday and then combo at bed. Then only Tylenol when I first got up, midday and the combo at bed. Now only occasional Tylenol pm. FYI I transitioned from narcotic over a few days substituting 1 dose at a time. Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@GA-Peach I bet watching your grandbabies play at the park, even in the heat, was the best medicine.
 
@LFitz it was! Wanted to weigh in on the Tramadol. After two weeks my surgeon said I was to be off of all narcotics. I find that unrealistic and wish I was given Tramadol. Just an FYI - when you are ready to reduce the Tramadol -they make Ultracet which is a smaller dose of Tramadol and has Tylenol in it. I was using that for pain before my surgery. Right now I am on the Tylenol/Ibuprophen cocktail - slowly lowering doses.
 
Bonesamrtie friends I just measured 90 degrees. I had been at peace the last several weeks about my bend because I have been feeling so great. Sitting at brunch I just felt like things were further so asked hubby to grab the goniometer and low and behold 90. :giggle: I had bought this from others suggestions and had decided to put it away because it was discouraging, but not today.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom