MUA 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<

Went to see my chiropractor today and she adjusted my ankle, sweet relief all that pain and tension there immediately released as well as the tension in my calf. Unfortunately, no relief from that pain at the side of my knee. I feel this every time I work on my heel slides and many times when I am walking. I am definitely going to address this at my OS appointment. I just don't think I should still be feeling this same thing this far into my recovery in the exact spot.
 
Josephine I absolutely love your directness :rotfl: I actually thought about not doing them but thought I have to do something to work on my bend. I can't do the bike rocking back and forth because it happens on that as well. There is no rotation with this amount of bend. My husband and I love to ride our bikes and hike and that was one of the reasons I did this surgery was to be able to hike again. I was still able to ride my bike with my knee taped but only very short distances. Since finding this site (wish I had found it before my surgery) I have followed the guidance of those before me. I stopped my pt and have let my knee be the leader and only working heel slides and extension. So how do I progress? Do I just try just daily living (no working on bend) for the next week and see where I am and if that allows it to heal? I 100% believe that this is not scar tissue so there is no way I am being told I need a second mua when I see my surgeon on the 20th. But something in my knee in that spot just isn't happy and says that's as far as you so sister - the bend stops here :no-fin:
 
but thought I have to do something to work on my bend. So how do I progress? Do I just try just daily living (no working on bend) for the next week and see where I am and if that allows it to heal?
That's the point - you don't! It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Friday evening/night was very hard for me with lots of pain and swelling and the only thing I had done that day was sit at my desk but I stayed there far too long with my leg down. I have been trying to gradually add more time to this but realized I once again renewed my membership to the ODIC. Tears and a pity party were on tap that night. So I decided I truly needed to reassess this recovery. I found myself reflecting back over several years of knee injuries, surgeries and recoveries. What I have concluded is that I have never, until this surgery, heard so much about ROM and the need or obsessiveness to achieve this until I had a tkr and of course this then puts the patient (you and me) in that state of panic to get it. Many Doctors and PT push us for the numbers and even sometimes we push ourselves to hard because we compare ourselves to other people's numbers. I understand flexion and extension have a place in this recovery, of course, but I am gaining perspective in how to approach these 2 things.

My first acl surgery I was in a straight leg brace for 3 full months because of an injury brought on by an aggressive PT. That brace only came off when showering and at PT, other than that I wore it 24/7. My flexion and extension both came back following that removal of the brace. I can't remember at this point how long it took but it came back and life was great. Fast forward to a micro fracture surgery and no weight bearing for 6 weeks and sitting in a cpm machine all, every day. That surgery took me about 6 months to recover from with flexion and extension in tact. So now I am here with a tkr and am slowly recovering. I will not have the ROM that others have because my knee cannot physically do that because of my patella and that is ok. This surgery was so much more extensive than my other surgeries so if it takes 6 months to a year for all this soft tissue to heal than so be it. I am writing this to remind myself that this is a journey not a race and why should I think I can run before I walk. The mantras on this site are true and sound and my past recoveries are proof of that. ROM is there it's just waiting for the knee to heal so it can reveal itself. I can never read them enough and love seeing them reiterated on everyone's threads because they are a constant reminder that this is a process and boy I certainly need reminders on those ODIC days.
:flwrysmile:
 
@LFitz,
I think you wrote that last post just for me. I haven't been through anything like what you have with your knee except for 25 years of RA which has taken its toll. I was just feeling very sorry for myself because I seem to be stuck in my recovery but you just put it all back into perspective. This is a journey, sometimes a difficult one, but we will get there in the end because we have wonderful travelling companions to help us on our way
To everyone who is struggling, take heart, it will get better.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Tabby all our walks may be slightly different but they are real and affected us in ways only we know. You are a blessing to so many of us and you are right we will all get there and having support makes this journey so much more bearable. So thankful I met you on here.:friends:
 
What I have concluded is that I have never, until this surgery, heard so much about ROM and the need or obsessiveness to achieve this until I had a tkr and of course this then puts the patient (you and me) in that state of panic to get it. Many Doctors and PT push us for the numbers and even sometimes we push ourselves to hard because we compare ourselves to other people's numbers.
I don't know who started the idea, or why, but a lot of surgeons and PT therapists seem to think that you need to rush to get ROM. You don't, because ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
As you've realised, all this emphasis on ROM does cause worry - and it's so pointless. Your knee will bend when it's ready to bend - and that is when the swelling has gone down enough and your knee is getting over the trauma of the surgery.

I think the PTs get obsessive about ROM, because it's a measurable thing that they can use, to show the insurance companies that their ministrations have been effective. It's a shame, though, that all the measuring causes so much worry.

I was fortunate, because my surgeon never asks about ROM. He just looks at my knee and says "Show me what you can do."
So now I am here with a tkr and am slowly recovering. I will not have the ROM that others have because my knee cannot physically do that because of my patella and that is ok. This surgery was so much more extensive than my other surgeries so if it takes 6 months to a year for all this soft tissue to heal than so be it. I am writing this to remind myself that this is a journey not a race and why should I think I can run before I walk. The mantras on this site are true and sound and my past recoveries are proof of that. ROM is there it's just waiting for the knee to heal so it can reveal itself.
You're very wise to realise that your knee may need longer than most, because of the previous surgeries. I'm sure it will get there, even if its journey is a little slower.
Here's a little picture for you:
[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<
 
I have my appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and I'm not even sure where to begin when I go. This is a scheduled appointment by his office for a 6 week follow up to my mua and 14+ week follow up to my tkr. As far as daily living that has improved so much. Actually able to go to the stores myself now and cook dinner etc. But bending into a sitting position or trying to keep my leg at a normal sitting position doesn't work and doing anything that requires much more than a 75 bend is so painful and just isn't happening. I really don't have pain other than this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should ask him specifically about why this is happening. I am not so concerned about ROM, I am mainly concerned about the pain associated with trying to sit (and steps aren't even an option). Is it ok to ask for another x-ray tomorrow to make sure everything is ok?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lynn,
Just tell the surgeon what your concerns are and see what he says. I'm sure he would do an x ray if he thought it was necessary, but I wouldn't think there's anything to warrant it. It must be very frustrating to still be in a lot of pain when you sit. See if the surgeon can explain it. I seem to be stuck at around 75 - 80 so I know exactly what you mean.
Good luck with your appointment, keep us posted.
Tabby xxx
 
@Josephine I saw my OS today and discussed the pain I am having and from what he described it sounds like one of the things you thought it could be. He said my knee is inflamed right where the hamstring muscle meets the knee at the side/back. I had told him the knee feels good except for that and I feel like there is bend in there but the pain and swelling at that spot stops the motion. I have a question for you. He put me on a steroid for 6 days (I've been on that once already during this recovery because of my sciatic) and also an anti-inflammatory once a day for 30 days and a cream pennsaid applied twice a day on the area. My question is I've been on the steroid 6 day pack and an anti-inflammatory but only 10 days during this for my sciatic (prior to my mua) and my knee was the same. I didn't realize all of this was the same until I picked up my prescriptions. Should I contact my OS and let him know this before I start any of this tomorrow or do you think it will be different now that he feels there is nothing causing the knee to be stuck?

Oh and just to reaffirm to everyone again about the Bonesmart mantra - my doctor agrees no pt and I'm not even at 75 degrees and I'm over 14 weeks. He feels there is no scar tissue that it is strictly inflammation and the bend is there and doesn't want me pushing it. Bonesmart continues to get it right [emoji2]

Thanks for the love @Tabbycat you are always a pick me up. Hope your having a good day.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just enjoyed a wonderful walk in my neighborhood, went further than I've been able to go since we moved into this house in November. I couldn't walk to the mailbox without my knee giving out on me and today we actually walked around able to look at all the new houses going up. Knee feels a little tight now, so icing and elevating but feeling groovy :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks so much, and it gets even better.... last night only 1 Tylenol pm and no discomfort at all through the night. Just gotta get this inflammation down on this spot so the bend that awaits can reveal itself. Talked to my mom this morning and am now excited to be planning my trip home to Canada. Trying to figure out the best route to get from here to there. Little stressful thinking about the time it will take to make it home and the several airports I will have to deal with and the 5 hour car ride afterwards to make it to my mom's house but can't wait. And I have another month before I have to do it so should be fine and dandy. My family has been through a lot and we are all getting together for a much needed family celebration. Praising God for delivering 2 sisters that have been battling breast cancer at the same time. One will be finished her treatments by the time we are all together and the other will still be doing treatments. We are all so blessed and happy to be getting together. We already lost 1 sister to cancer so this is a celebration of life. God is good, even in the trials.

Hope everyone is having a great day :flwrysmile:
 
It's good that you can be so positive despite difficulties and bereavement in your family. I'm sorry you have had sadness, but I hope you will be fine to travel and enjoy your family reunion.
Tabby xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom