Guest viewing is limited

MUA 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<

I feel your pain. I think you might be greatly helped to find a PT that is a CFMT. A certified functional manual physical therapist. They work VERY differently than a traditional PT.
The one I went to after my right TKR made the all difference in my rehab. Best of luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Tabby the pain in that spot is the same. When I was at the accupunturist he had done a thermal scan and of course above the knee was hot (this spot doesn't bother me pain wise it's a normal tightening/pain and certainly expected to show there since I have a new knee) but there was a hot spot right where that pain is so I really am wondering if it's soft tissue or nerve. Having a really hard time staying positive. I see how people are getting the flexion and I'm so happy for them and then I cry because something just isn't working for me. I hate to talk to my family about how I am feeling because I feel like I am complaining, which isn't my nature. Just a hard time right now and somehow in the middle of the night I tweaked my upper back trying to get comfortable and now it's pretty hard taking a breathe. Hope it releases itself soon. How is your leg doing? Hope that it is better so you can keep healing the tkr leg.

Thanks for saying hello. Love Lynn


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sel I didn't realize there was such a thing. Time to do some internet searching through my insurance.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LFitz
I can relate to everything you say, I'm having very similar experience at the moment. Problem is I'm getting anxious about my lack of progress, and I'm dwelling on it all the time, all sorts of worries going on in my mind. As you say it's hard to stay positive. My knee is fairly comfortable when I'm not moving it, but hurts with the slightest movement and won't bear much weight.
I'm sorry you inadvertently hurt your back, I hope it doesn't take too long to resolve.
Keep posting, we'll support each other and get through this :console2:
Love, Tabby xxx
 
The mind can really mess you up on this journey for sure but it is people like you on this site that will help push us through when our minds won't shut off. Like I've seen you encourage so many other people now it's my turn to remind you that this is slow process and we will get there


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
but there was a hot spot right where that pain is so I really am wondering if it's soft tissue or nerve.
Fitz, would you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<


[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<
 
Hi Josephine it LF3 Begins at the line between c and d and then goes into d. Thank you so much for your help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Josephine that is exactly the spot. I've read both of the links in the possibilities above and there are things in each that I feel this could fall into. The spot where the Pes Anserine & MPFL show on the diagram looks pretty much right where I am feeling this pain. However I don't feel pain up into the quad or groin, although I don't know if that is necessarily present with this issue. And reading the compartment syndrome, I recognize several issues with my calf and my bottom of my foot constantly feeling like whatever ligament or tendon is on the ball of your foot (towards the outside of the toes) pops or something when I walk. I don't have pain to the touch in this spot it just prevents me from getting this bend. No pain meds I have ever taken have made that pain diminish when I try to get more ROM. So would you suggest I talk with my chiropractor? I do have an accupressure ball, should I try to work those ligaments in the pictures?

Sorry don't mean to ask to many questions just really value your insight. Thanks so much for all you do for all of us on this forum
 
The pain in the pes anserine can relay up into the groin as you saw in the images. But MPFL is usually very localised.

To be honest, I was leaning more towards the shin splint syndrome as that is very far reaching and the pain that if obvious is just the tip of the iceberg. I've had (and still have) this myself so am very familiar with it. I've found that you can reveal this referred pain by using this technique acupressure massage up and down your leg. You will soon know if it extends further than your knee! Oh, and the other clue is that pain meds are no good at all!

I think some of our longer serving members will chuckled about the chiropractor as they all know I am an ardent fan of chiropractic treatment! Mine regularly goes over my legs (yes I have it in both legs!) and don't I know about it! Like you I usually only get pain in one spot but he soon finds the other places! So yes, do go and see a good chiropractor, one who is hands on and does lots of remedial deep massage. Best of luck!

BTW, please don't worry about asking questions - that's what we are ALL here for!
In fact, it's what BoneSmart is here for!
 
Thanks Josephine, I too am a huge believer in chiropractic care unfortunately mine doesn't or I should say hasn't done deep tissue but there is another chiropractor working at his practice and she may do this. They are both wonderful to talk to and I'm going to show them these images. They've both been wonderful for me both prior to and since my surgery. If this isn't something they do I also use a massage therapist that does deep tissue. I'll go see both this week and see if some of this helps. I do know I need this corrected or assisted so that my ROM will be able to progress. Thanks so much!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So here I am at almost 13 weeks and having one of those wake up and this sucks kind of days. I try every morning to wake up with a positive attitude but this morning its a struggle to get in that frame of mind. Hard night sleeping (nothing new) and a leg that is stiff and a little swollen (nothing new). Almost 13 weeks and I still don't know when this knee will give a little and get that elusive bend. Had tons of zingers last night in my knee so I thought well maybe things are coming together - zap away if that's what it takes. I have a couple of questions: does any one else have what feels like a stiff ankle? When I am walking its like my ankle is moving very stiff. I am constantly rotating it, and still do ankle pumps just because it feels good on my calf. Is there a way to measure your rom without having to go back to pt to get them to do it? Also, the doctor told me I had a bakers cyst at the back of my knee but there is also a similar one now just below the bend of my knee on the outside. Any idea what this could be?
 
does any one else have what feels like a stiff ankle? When I am walking its like my ankle is moving very stiff. I am constantly rotating it, and still do ankle pumps just because it feels good on my calf.
Stop moving it so much! That could be what's caused the stiffness.
Also, the doctor told me I had a bakers cyst at the back of my knee but there is also a similar one now just below the bend of my knee on the outside. Any idea what this could be?
A Baker's cyst is actually a perfectly normal anatomy at the back of the knee. It only becomes a 'Baker's cyst' when it is inflamed and engorged. There are also lots of other bursae in the knee normal anatomy as you can see here, the dark blue bits

[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<


Is there a way to measure your rom without having to go back to pt to get them to do it?
Yes, for flexion you can get someone to take a photo of your leg in either of these positions and post it (full image, not thumbnail) and I can measure it for you but you must include the three points shown

[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks post tkr and struggling<


As for extension, you can measure that yourself, pretty much, using this
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@LFitz, if you have an iPhone there is an app for measuring flexion - I use one just called goniometer. Seems to work pretty well especially since what you want us to watch the trend not exact numbers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok so I definitely will calm down on the ankle work and hopefully that will see improvement - thank you! Thanks for the information on the baker's cyst and the knee anatomy with relation to this. It's amazing how much better you can feel about what's going on when you have information in hand. I'll have to wait until Saturday when my husband returns from his business trip to post the photo so you can look and tell me my rom. Thanks again, you don't know how good you make a person feel when there are answers for so many questions.:egypdance:
 
charmed-life I do have an iphone and I'll definitely download that app until I am able to get my photo to Josephine. Like you said I'm trying to make sure I'm going in the right direction especially since my bend has been pretty poor to date. But still keeping the faith. thanks so much
 
It's easier instead to mark your progress by what you are able to do. Can you walk farther than right after surgery? Can you get up or down stairs a little easier? Are you in less pain? I think these ( at least for me) are better ways to judge my progress. I try not to get hung up by the numbers.
 
newlybionic I would absolutely agree with you on how to measure progress and have lived a much more peace filled life since taking on the bonesmart mantra that is for sure! The reason for the concern is I have another follow up in less than 2 weeks with my surgeon and I don't want to be caught unaware of where this thing is because I am not doing another mua - my last actual measurement is 75, not so hot for this far into my recovery. But I have to say walking is easier and I feel so blessed to have that and just living life again is something to marvel at indeed. Thanks for the reminder:flwrysmile::)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom