MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

Try to stop ruminating on it. Sounds like that's really stressing you out! @little red canoe is exactly right. Its a battle of mind over knee. The knee will get you back for overdoing it!
 
Just being able to do those things you are doing is showing how well your knee is coming back, but it's not even half of the way through with healing. Patience is one of the hardest things to acquire with this surgery. Even my OS said I wouldn't be painfree for at least a year. Try and remember that your baby knee is now a preteen and still needs ice at times. It does get better, much better! But, your knee is in control and it will definitely let you know!
 
Yes the dam knee appears to be winning out I just do not think it should be after 5 months.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year so yes, at 5 months your knee should be still winning.
Where you are now is not where you will be in 7 months' time. Your knee is still healing internally and it still needs special consideration.
Perhaps reading this article again will help you?
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
@BARBRI ... my friend....you're forgetting about that MUA you had back in January. Yes, you're 5 months out from the original surgery but only TWO months out from the MUA. That makes a difference in how much your knee can tolerate right now. Remember, it was brutally manipulated during that procedure which re-injured soft tissue. You need time to heal from that. It's amazing to me (and you should be proud) that you are able to do any of the really active things you're doing. Just take it easy now for a week or so, ice and elevate, and take something for any pain (stronger meds than Tylenol if needed) until you are back where you were before all the shoveling, walking, stationary bike, elliptical machine, leg presses and pool exercises as well as upper body weight lifting. (Whew! I got tired just reading all that! :heehee:)

If seeing your surgeon will ease your mind, do that. But I can pretty much guarantee you he'll find nothing wrong with your implant.
 
Wish I had never had my 1st one done for 9 years. Had bilateral in July and doing much better. Hang in there and don't wait as long as I did.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
I saw my OS yesterday. Told him that my TKR was 5 months ago and my MUA 2 months ago. And although my extension [0] and flexion [123] were okay I was still experiencing ongoing pain,stiffness and numbness that wakes me up at night and that I feel has gotten worse in the past month or so and is still more painful than prior to the TKR. I cannot walk very far before it gets too painful to continue. He suggested an x-ray which was what I wanted. The x-ray showed that everything was normal and did not indicate that anything had gone wrong with the new knee. He told me to keep on exercising and said to give it another 4-6 weeks and if it has not improved to come and see him again. I am of course happy that the x-ray did not show any problems,but still concerned that this pain and stiffness may not go away,a small percentage of TKR's are known to leave a person worse or no better off than before surgery.
 
I hope you're not one of them @BARBRI. At least you know the Xray showed nothing bad and that the OSs door is still open to you. Could it be nerve damage? Is that something that gradually improves?
I'm at exactly the same stage as you -TKR 5 months ago and MUA 2 months ago. My knee is OK. Not painless but generally fine. I'm increasing walking gradually. I do not suffer the pain you do at night nor do I need to take any meds at all. ROM is fine by me but I don't measure it or push it.
I'm not meaning to gloat at all, just to offer you a comparison. I'll need to get my other knee done sometime. Feeling as I do now I'd be quite happy to get it done. I didn't feel like that a while ago though! Good luck.
 
No one has mentioned nerve damage before now so I do not know if something like that is possible or if it can improve over time. At this point I do not know what the possibilities are other than my PT and OS still belief that over time that I will be okay.
 
Pain and numbness are neurological issues. Perhaps this will resolve in time? I do hope so.
 
I think that, rather than doing more exercise, you need to do less, @BARBRI .
All through your recovery, you have been pushing your knee to do too much exercise and that has often resulted in giving you more pain.
You're expecting your 5-month-old knee to act as if it has been recovering for a year - and it just isn't ready for that yet.
 
@BARBRI , I'm so sorry you are still having knee pain. If it's any consolation, I had about 2.5 weeks where I seemed to be improving (swelling, stiffness, pain all seemed to be waning)....then last Wed, out of nowhere, BAM! It all came back, and hasn't gone away since. Although the pain is not as bad as it was before - at least tylenol still works now, and I don't have to take a pain pill.

I was talking to one of my friends today (who, incidentally is one who said to me after 2 months "what, your knee isn't healed yet?" :umm:) - she had her knee done (same surgeon as me) about a year and a half ago. Today, when I told her my knee was angry and came back at me with a vengence, for no apparent reason, she said "oh, that will happen for about 6 or 7 months - it's par for course."

Ugh, I wish I had words of advice for you. I'm lucky in that I have a LOT of work that is taking up my time, along with running errands, etc etc. I have time to think about it, but not ruminate or do much about my dratted knee.

I have realized I can walk a mile and a half now, though - that is 1 mile more than I could walk before my surgery. And it's a different kind of pain, too. Is there anything you can do now that you weren't able to do before the surgery? The other thing I try to remember is that if I hadn't had the surgery, then things would only have gotten worse - and what I could do before the surgery, I wouldn't be able to do eventually anyhow. So I might as well wait the year out, and just give time a chance. Luckily, with it being spring and all, camping season is here to keep me entertained....and unfortunately, work is keeping me MUCH more busy than I would like.

I'd offer to distract you by giving you some of my work, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! :good-bad:

Hope you start to feeling better, and hope something comes up to take your mind off the whole darn thing. It's a bit easier when you aren't focused on every up or down.
 
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support.
I am going to take a break from exercising for 4 days over the coming weekend when we are visiting family in another part of the Province. See if that makes any difference.
In answer to your question L.I.T., I cannot do anything more now that I was not able to do before surgery and thus far at least I am able to do less than prior to my surgery 5 months ago and MUA 2 months ago. By now I had hoped that I would be able to walk distances without pain or discomfort,go up and down stairs with no discomfort,get a good nights sleep,and carefully resume playing golf and softball and court sports all of which I was doing prior to surgery albeit in some pain. Unfortunately this is not the case as yet. My current level of pain and stiffness would not allow me to engage in these sport activities right now at least. Maybe my expectations were too high.
 
Maybe.. but your pain seems high. I can't quite go up stairs without a little oogh yet but its more discomfort.. and going downstairs it does not bother me at all but at the top of the stairs my head makes me pause . The head tells me it might hurt.. so I am too cautious. The knee says.. no problem what was that hesitation all about?
Curiously I too am sick and tired of when it does get stiff and recalcittant. So I heated up a bean pack and applied that for fifteen minutes..It made a lot of difference mentally. So I jumped on the exercise bike and actually clipped in and yay.. Today was NOT yesterday.. Had a good ride ( Inside..its still winter out)

Have you sought other medical advice? I'd think golf might be possible.

P.S . We are going camping in the Yukon and Alaska and will drop down into BC. Everyone raves about the Bowron Canoe route. Yep we are taking a canoe with us.

I hope that it is just your head being ahead of your knee, and your knee being bossy.
Just a thought.. have you considered Tai Chi? I miss my classes.. Now they are an hour drive each way from me. Wish they were closer. What a good stretch I got. The reason I thought Tai Chi might help you is that some of the movements to me are like a golf swing. But then I am not a golfer. I tried twice.. duffer for life
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I rested my knee for 4 days. Other than a little bit of walking I did no exercising. The pain and stiffness in my knee subsided. Yesterday I did stationary biking for 15 minutes [no resistance],walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes and 30-100 pound knee presses and the knee is very stiff and sore again.I hope that this is not an ongoing pattern as I need to exercise.
 
@BARBRI you have already proven that letting that knee rest works. Why did you go full hog on the exercise? Why not build up the activity level. Start with 10 minutes on the bike (no resistance). When you can do that without any pain the next day, start adding - maybe 5 minutes more. Only add more activity when you do not have post activity pain.

Your knee is trying to tell you something. Listen now and you will be able to exercise again. Ignore and yes, you will develop an ongoing pattern.
 
Well I rested my knee for 4 days. Other than a little bit of walking I did no exercising. The pain and stiffness in my knee subsided. Yesterday I did stationary biking for 15 minutes [no resistance],walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes and 30-100 pound knee presses and the knee is very stiff and sore again.I hope that this is not an ongoing pattern as I need to exercise.
It is exactly a continuing pattern, cause and effect.

You need to heal before you exercise. A couple of minutes is all you need on the bike to help with ROM and just warm them up a bit. Leg presses, please don't, they won't help.

I too need to exercise. Nowadays I can, as much as I want -- indeed more than pre-op, a lot more. But I couldn't do much for some months after surgery, and progressed very slowly and gently, backing off as soon as my knees protested in any way.
 
Back
Top Bottom