Guest viewing is limited

MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

Very exciting that you are returning to an activity you love. I can't wait to get back to races. Maybe walking, but starting and finishing is what its all about.
 
That is great! They say to look for the small improvements but I'd say playing your sport again is a big improvement! You will get to 100% before you know it!
 
Yay! You're doing something you love and your knee isn't stopping you!
 
Yes it is nice to be playing ball. The issue for me is that just prior to the TKR I could run the bases myself.
 
Maybe you will be able to run the bases again, just not yet. It's not yet 6 months since you had your TKR and even less time since your MUA. Remember that it takes a full year at least for complete recovery.
Your knee isn't the "finished product" yet. There's still plenty of time for continued improvement.
 
Congratulations on getting to play softball as you hoped. I'm sure you're taking things easy on the days after so that your knee gets a chance to rest up for the next game. I think you're wise not to try and run the bases just yet. Baby steps....but you'll get there!
 
You describe what I am experiencing pretty well flyaway79. My TKR was on October 19,2016 and MUA on January,19,2017. I thought that these sensations of pain and tightness would have passed by now.

Oh my God. I finally found someone suffering similar to me. Surgery was October 2016. Everything went good until I realized I was not going to be back normal for a year or so. I have no pain just tightness when getting up from sleeping or sitting. Doing water therapy three times a week . Numbness is getting better. Would not do this again.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
This is a year-long recovery. Here on BoneSmart, we do tell people that. It's a pity that the surgeons don't warn you about it before you have the surgery. It would save a lot of heartache.
 
My OS told me I'd probably hate him until about the 6th month. He was a little over estimating it. I disliked my knee for about 4 months. Since then I've been very glad that I had it done!
 
It has been a long time since I have communicated on bonesmart so I thought I would give you a bit of an update. It has been almost 11 months since my RTKR. I still have some pain and stiffness and minor swelling. Not bad enough to warrant pain meds and not kept awake at night. All good. I have played senior softball all summer,about 75 games. Wore a good knee brace which gave me additional support. Started by having others run the bases for me,but now I run them for myself. I go to the gym and workout 3-5 times per week. Again all good,but still concerned with the moderate pain and swelling after almost 11 months. Very painful to cross my leg over my other leg. Have had several xrays and am told that everything is still in proper alignment. Again good. Had a bone scan which showed more blood flowing to the knee than should be expected. Had a white blood cell scan which ruled out infection. Another good thing. Recently saw my OS and he says that he does not think revision surgery is warranted and to stay the course and come back and see him again in December. Well there you have it. I would welcome any comments and feedback. Thank you
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Far too much gym and softball! No wonder you still have pain and swelling! What else can you possibly expect us to say?
 
I agree with Spex10. Slow down and give your leg some rest. I still have to sometimes after having a very physical day.
 
Thanks for your feedback. You may well be right,however my OS did not express any concerns with what I have been doing activity wise. Said to stay the course and not to change what I am doing. Confusing?
 
Thanks for your feedback. You may well be right,however my OS did not express any concerns with what I have been doing activity wise. Said to stay the course and not to change what I am doing. Confusing?
but your knee is telling you differently. listen to your knee. the swelling is saying to relax a bit.
 
Well stick with what the OS said and keep wondering why your knee hurts and swells!!
 
The OS may be telling yo that what you are doing will not hurt the implant. Your knee may be telling you that the activity level is a bit high. Will the knee finally settle in and get used to the high activity level and you just need to deal with the pain until then, or does the soft tissue need more time to heal? I am assuming the pain is bad enough because you mention it, so I guess I would vote for more healing. But I am very impressed at all you are doing with a new knee.
 
I'm also impressed with all you are doing. When does softball season end? October? Sounds like you might have some time off from playing over the winter. That will give you a chance to rest your knee and see how it responds to less activity. Rest up for next season!
 
Back
Top Bottom