Guest viewing is limited

MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

Just went I thought that I had rounded the corner to recovery with several days of minimal pain,stiffness and discomfort my knee came back and bit me in the butt. Back to significant pain still greater than pre-surgery,after 5 months no less. Will see what my OS has to say next week when I see him. I would like an x-ray to see what is going on in there even for peace of mind.
Hope your MUA went well today Pontoon.
 
When you had your MUA you reset your recovery time back to month zero. So you've been doing very well. Try to only do one workout a day. Try alternating between gym/pool and any physical activities you do during the week. If you feel like you aren't getting better at all then I think setting up an appointment with an OS that specializes in revisions take a look at your knee to see what they would suggest. If you get X-rays from your current OS post them and tag Josephine to take a look. I've been down that route and it's better to know if there are any problems than to just speculate.
 
Not necessarily! @BARBRI has told us how well he's been doing. Sounds like it led to his being slightly overconfident and overdoing it a bit.
 
Ooh MUAs mine is booked for the 24th! Am hoping it will solve my lack of / decreasing ROM. From what I've read it can help more with Bending than straightening. I'm keeping up with my gentle exercises in the meantime I guess hoping for a little miracle! I guess I'm most worried that if they are able to break the adhesions and get good bend that I do the right things afterwards to stop it happening again.

Ever the optimist but I realise I want to be able to DOOO something. It must be either being female or of my generation we need to be able to do!

I'd also like a cheer for my extension yes go girl!

Hmm sounding everso desperate now.
 
Celle's words are right on target. You're using your new, recovering knee as if it was 100% healed. Your MUA set your recovery back. You should not be doing any "hard workouts" at this point. Please let your knee settle down and get better. Patience.....big time! The surgeon who gave that time chart was also on the mark. You're going to still be healing for months. Be kind to that knee!

You indicated you've stopped taking Tylenol except at bedtime. Yet you still have pain. You need to go back to taking the Tylenol on a schedule as long as the pain is there. What you want to avoid is having the pain at all because it can lead to swelling. Your goal with lots of icing and proper pain management is to keep any pain and swelling minimal for the next 3-4 months. And, just a caution....when taking the Tylenol and pain is minimal, that is NOT your signal that all is well and it's time to "work" your knee again. It just means you are properly managing your recovery.
 
Even after 9 months, I can still have a bad night if I overdo during the day or move my knee wrong in my sleep. My OS says this is normal. Your knee is still a baby and you are doing fantastic! As time goes on you've been having more good days than bad days. After that, you'll definitely be glad that you had this surgery done! Just be patient. And remember that this surgery's recovery is a rollercoaster ride. Enjoy that top ride and rest during that low ride.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your supportive comments and words of encouragement. And yes,I tend to overdo the workouts. Not a very patient person I am afraid,but am trying.
Other than taking a couple of Tylenol PM at bedtime I am pretty much off the pain meds other than the odd ibuprofen. They do not seem to be helpful in any case.Will see what my OS has to say next week.
My MUA was helpful for both extension and flexion with minimal increased pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reading this makes me wonder if my swollen knee is because I am not taking enough meds. I'm 6 weeks out and struggling with pain and swelling. Yesterday PT only did a massage and a big of stretching because my knee was warm and 2 inches larger than my other leg. She asked me what I did over the weekend. I am moving in a few weeks and trying to do a little at a time sorting and tossing, mostly from a sitting position. Then I rest and ice and elevate. Should my knee still be red, hot and swollen at 6 weeks? I can't take anything like Advil to reduce the swelling.
 
Based on my personal experience and from reading about the experience of others,yes it is very normal to have redness,heat and swelling after 6 weeks and beyond.
 
I just woke up and cannot get back to sleep due to throbbing pain in my knee. Tylenol no help. Did no exercising or pool work today. Something must be wrong,
 
I'm sorry you've wakened in pain BARBRI. It may be that nothing is wrong and that the throbbing is par for the course on this treacherous journey. I have days when my knee feels like toothache and l can't get comfortable. Interestingly, these times often follow 'quiet' days.
 
When I was exercising a lot in the old days (!) I always found that I hurt the day after the day after if you see what I mean. I checked this out recently and found it was a common phenomenon. There's underlying scientific rationale for it. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? I hope you have a better day.
 
I hope that you fine ladies are right.The 3-4 days prior to this I worked out pretty hard including snow shoveling,walking, stationary bike,elliptical machine,leg presses and pool exercises as well as upper body weight lifting.
 
I hope that you fine ladies are right.The 3-4 days prior to this I worked out pretty hard including snow shoveling,walking, stationary bike,elliptical machine,leg presses and pool exercises as well as upper body weight lifting.
Is that your normal prior to knee replacement.. ? Training for sports?
 
I should have said that yes it is,but right now I am not able to do so at the same intensity level as prior to surgery. Why do you ask little red canoe?
 
No wonder you woke up with a screaming knee after all that workout! It needs TLC, not training for an Olympic event! Follow the mantras here and you'll feel much better!
 
I honestly do not feel that I am over doing it 5 months post surgery. None of what I do is at a high tensity or for a prolonged period of time.
 
I honestly do not feel that I am over doing it 5 months post surgery. None of what I do is at a high tensity or for a prolonged period of time.
You have what I have.. battle of mind and knee.. The knee usually wins.. Though the head HATES it!
You are shovelling snow daily? Yikes I am today but I do that twice a week.. When I was in Florida biking I was glad not to do that at all.
 
Thank goodness I do not have to shovel snow on a daily basis,just once in the past week and it is likely over for the year. Yes the dam knee appears to be winning out I just do not think it should be after 5 months.
 
Back
Top Bottom