MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

I'm sorry you're still in pain @BARBRI . It does seem that your recovery has not gone smoothly. There is still time for improvement, though.
 
Barbri and knees4me, completely understand where you're coming from, so much emphasis put on supposed recovery times , I honestly thought that by the three month mark I would just be about there, pain free and doing most normal things- harken can yo hear my hysterical laughter from here!!!! At week 14 I actually feel as if I'm going backwards and it doesn't half pull you down!! Hopefully in time I'll look back with a wry smile on my face about this recovery but at the moment I just want to scream!!!!
 
I can certainly appreciate how you feel Lilli215,but my TKR was over 3 months prior to yours [October 19,2016] and I am still in significant and constant pain. I expected to be all most pain free long ago. If I had known I would not have had the surgery.
 
Can't blame you for feeling like that Barbri, especially as you are keen to get back playing your sports. Am afraid I had to accept a few yearsago that my hillwalking days were over, it was a bitter pill to swallow but it was just too damn painful coming down mountain sides!! Even with my new knee and left one scheduled for replacement Feb 18 I know I'll never climb a mountain again. Prob a stupid question but have you contacted your surgeon again to let him know you're still suffering so much?
 
I saw my surgeon on March 20 about the ongoing pain level. He took an x-ray that showed that things were lined up okay. I have a call into him again.I wonder if it could be a nerve issue.
 
What kind of pain are you having? Is it a sharp stabbing pain or an achy pain? Where is it located?
 
More of an achy pain. Like having the knee in a vice. The whole knee is sore,but the pain is often centered on the outside of my knee and is sometimes accompanied with a numb feeling.
 
I had a PKR 6 years ago and had a revision to a TKR 6 weeks ago. Even though my progress with this one has been much slower because of the revision issue I do remember with my last one that achy, tight, numb feeling lasting for quite awhile. I remember describing it as having a tourniquet around my knee. That does go slowly away and is not uncommon.

How long ago was your surgery?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You describe what I am experiencing pretty well flyaway79. My TKR was on October 19,2016 and MUA on January,19,2017. I thought that these sensations of pain and tightness would have passed by now.
 
It is frustrating for sure. What kind of ROM do you have? What caused you to have the MUA and did it correct the problem you were having? At 7 weeks I'm struggling with my ROM. I was at 107 last week. Has me a little concerned but I'm trying to not worry about it.
 
My range of motion is okay,120 plus degrees.Had the MUA because of a build up of adhesions limiting my ROM. It corrected the problem,but may have prolonged my recovery.
 
That very well could be the case. I'm sure that tightness will go away as your knee continues to heal. My OS says total healing can take up to a year or more. This is one of the hardest surgeries anyone can go through :-(
 
My OS and PT both have told me that at 3 months I should start to feel "pretty good". Feeling "great" will be way down the road :console2:
 
I would like to ask how your initial recovery was from the MUA? What was your ROM before you had it done and how long was it afterward before you noticed a difference and were glad you did it?
 
Only some additional pain for 2-3 after MUA. Was back at PT right after. My ROM was only 90-95 prior to the MUA. I noticed an immediate improvement and yes I am glad that I had it done.
I am not sure that I am even feeling pretty good after almost 7 months.
 
Normally, when you a MUA your out time starts at the time of the MUA, not the replacement time. So, that means your knee is really only 3 1/2 months old. When you have a MUA your soft tissues are damaged again and your knee becomes inflamed almost as much as a replacement knee. Give your knee lots of rest, ice and elevation and I bet the pain will subside. It's great the the MUA worked for you, but you have to give your tissues the time they need to heal all over again.
 
Oh yes, you should be encouraged. Your knee is still a baby and it's easy to get it angry. Go back and reread the guidelines for recovery and that'll be a big help to you. You have many people here that care what happens to you and are rooting for you!
 
I neglected to say that I am back playing softball again. I am happy for that. Oddly while I am playing with a brace I might add,the pain in my knee seems to subside. Maybe it is because the adrenaline is flowing. My knee does not bother me when I bat,field or throw. I am not running very hard as yet and when I get on base I use a substitute player to run for me. I am still leery about running around the bases. I do admit however,that the day after the ball games my knee is much sorer.
 
Back
Top Bottom