MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

I hope that this is not an ongoing pattern as I need to exercise.
Pretty much, if you need to exercise, do upper body. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome just is not going to happen.
 
I hope you can resist the temptation to overdo exercise right now. Your knee will benefit from a more measured approach as the others have suggested. I believe the thing that's doing you in are those knee presses with weight. That is really too much for your poor new knee at this point.
 
My therapist reminded me of the 10% rule. When you can do something comfortably for a few days, you can increase your time/distance/reps (whatever is appropriate) by 10%. Like Jaycey suggested, start with the bike at no resistance for 10-15 minutes. When you have no ill-effects the next day, you can increase by 10%. Keep doing that gradually. As your knee heals, you will be able to add more exercises (using the same approach).

I was quite frustrated with my left knee's progress in January. I was still having quite a bit of pain walking up stairs. I've noticed now, at 23 months out from surgery, that knee is FINALLY doing stairs without major discomfort. Sometimes our progress is frustratingly slow, but it is happening. Hang in there.
 
Thanks again folks. And yes,doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I went to the gym this morning and did no leg presses. I guess I am recovering from my insane state of mind.
 
Really, remember that your quads and hamstrings are not a 100% right now. So, all of that weight is bumping on your new joint. does that make sense to you??? Right now, your knee needs to heal and it cannot be stressed every day. Use leg lifts and non weight bearing exercises like bikes and balls to exercise your muscles. Leg lifts, clam shells, pilates are so much more sensible for you right now.
 
Yes that does make sense to me thanks skigirlM.
You sure do not look 72. I have visited Whitefish years ago and recall it as a beautiful area.
 
I do love Whitefish, I have live her for over 20 years. I am going to be 73 next month!!
 
Your knee has already told you what it likes. When you increased the strain on it, it rebelled and you got stiff with increased pain. Remember it takes a year or more to fully heal. You can't speed up that healing, but you can slow it down with too much too soon!
 
Does this make any sense??
About one month ago I bought an expensive knee brace from an orthopedic place. I wanted it for when I participate in sports activities. I started wearing it when I went to the gym. Well at about that time my knee started getting very sore,stiff and numb. I stopped wearing the brace after a few weeks and these symptoms subsided somewhat.Yesterday I saw the Professional ortho person that had seen when I bought the brace to see if the brace needed adjusting. I wore the knee brace for about 3 hours prior to my visit with her.On observing the brace on my knee she said that it was too low and that this could put pressure on a nerve that could cause pain and numbness. She showed me how it should be worn. I did not continue to wear the brace that day and at home my knee got progressively more painful,stiff and numb too the point that it woke me up in the middle of the night [now] and here I sit with knee pain at about level 8.
 
My OS put me in a brace years ago after my kneecap removal. I couldn't wear it, it caused a lot of pain. I'm sure the braces have improved considerably since then, but I would think, if it hurts, don't wear it. Your knee obviously doesn't like it. Why do you feel you need one?
 
Thank you for your feedback sistersinhim. The ortho person that the increased pain and numbness that I experienced was likely caused by my not wearing the brace properly resulting in increased pressure in the top of the knee cap pressing on a nerve. I am going to try wearing it the proper way and see what happens. The reason thast I want to wear a brace is that I play sports that put a lot of pressure on the legs and knees and the brace gives me additional protective support. Also the brace is designed to enhance the healing process I am told.
 
That's the first I've heard of it. You're never too old to learn! I hope it helps you now that it's adjusted correctly.
 
The reason thast I want to wear a brace is that I play sports that put a lot of pressure on the legs and knees and the brace gives me additional protective support. Also the brace is designed to enhance the healing process I am told.
I think your best approach would be to not play those sports until your knee has healed sufficiently and your muscles are strong enough to support it. Frankly, I think there's a danger that you could rely on the brace too much and inadvertently do damage to your knee. And I can't see how any brace would "enhance the healing process". That sounds like advertising hype to me.
I don't see any harm in wearing an elastic support for your knee when you are playing sport, though.
 
You are probably giving me good advice Celle but I am bound and determined to start playing softball again in May. I just will not be able to go at it as hard as I normally do. My leg muscles have always been strong and continue to be so I feel. The brace will give me the extra support that I will need to prevent damage to my knee when I am running the bases,hopefully. I am going to hold off on playing court sports for the time being at least. Thanks for all the feedback.
 
but I am bound and determined to start playing softball again in May. I just will not be able to go at it as hard as I normally do.
One thing - if your muscles are strong then why do you need a brace? To quote a saying "does not compute"! Because your muscles are neither weak nor strong - they are injured! BIG difference.

Besides which you are 6ms/11wks weeks out which is still early in the recovery process for a TKR. Have a look at this and realise that you have a looong old way to go before you are fully recovered from this surgery.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy
 
You're planning on strapping a brace on a knee that's not fully healed and playing softball starting in May? Does that mean you intend to try and run bases? Chase after balls? Throw guys out with movements that will torque your knee? Oh, my friend.....you are not going to be happy with the way that turns out. Please go back and rethink all this.

A new knee does NOT need to be braced to heal. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You build muscle strength and recover by using your knee on it's own - and you gradually increase your activity levels over time. You're kidding yourself if you think you can just "play lighter" when you hit the field.

I can tell you that problems with soft tissue can result easily with those "twisty" movements that torque your knee for a full year after surgery. But it's especially likely to happen in the first 6 months.

It can happen so quickly and then you're really hurt. In my case, I got a new puppy at about 6 months out. She was all of 10 pounds but came running to me and hit my lower leg hard at about mid calf level when I was standing sideways. Huge pain and setback in recovery from damaged soft tissue. No brace will protect you from an accidental twist of your knee in sports.

Why in the world are you risking the good work of your surgeon for one season of a game you can play any other time? I sure am missing your logic here.
 
This is in response to Jamie and Josephine. Thank you for your comments.I understand that it can take 6-12 months to be fully healed [not sure what the color coding means Josephine]. By the time that I plan to start playing softball [running,chasing,batting,etc] in May it will be almost 7 months from TKR. I know guys that started playing again in less time. The knee brace will help to prevent over twisting of my knee and give it that little bit of extra support. I feel that my legs are still strong and in good shape albeit still healing.I have discussed this with my PT including playing softball and wearing the brace and he did not seem against it albeit he did caution about running too much and all out at first at least. He recommended the brace. I see him again tomorrow and will query him once more before I make my final decision. I have told my OS my intentions as well and did not hear any objections. I will say though that in a months time if my knee is not better than it is today I will not play. Still gets stiff and sore although it does not prevent me from sleeping any longer. The only pain meds that I take are 2 tylenol and 2 ibuprofen at bedtime.
 
Hi Barbri, I'm over the pond in Scotland and had RTKR on 30th Jan. My flexion is 112 and extension is zero and both physiotherapist and surgeon are delighted with that. I know the PT system is different on your side but I certainly wouldn't be agreeing to a MUA with the results you're getting just now. I've just noticed that your post was written in January so what was the outcome, did you get the MUA,
 
@Lilli215, if you look at the very bottom of Barbri's post, you'll see the time he wrote his last post in light blue. The small black date higher up is actually when he had the replacement done.
 
Back
Top Bottom