1 year on the 5th of February

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got two good ideas of getting you bad leg in and out of bed pain free. You might know these you might not but helps me.
Or you could use one of these - but yours is cheaper, Foxy!! And I shall be using them in the Library - if you don't mind, that is?

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
Ah but that one has a wire in it so you don't spend forever trying to lasso your foot!
I used a cotton bed jacket when I was in hospital and I got totally enraged trying to loop it over my foot!
Gimme a nice stiff leg lifter every time! I'm making sure I take on into hospital with me next time.
 
Whats been up Foxy ? Hope you are doing well. Hey 4 weeks , no drinking is great. And now almost 3 weeks with a new but stubborn knee. I am a bit surprised on how fast it gets tight and swollen after activity. Well be patient and elevate and ice as much as possiable. Take care , ICEMAN
 
All good Icep,
Knee is still tight and aching a bit fills like there's no surport around it! Muscle waist I guess. I start PT next week so I'm looking forward to that. Going bonkers at home. Hope your well.Foxy.
 
Hi @Foxmyster1967 - found your thread, and glad that you are doing so well. Stiff and achy seems to be par for the course for some time - but the fact that you are mobile and bending OK is excellent news. I bet you will be your PT's star pupil when you go next week.
Remember not to get too carried away by your new found abilities .... its a marathon, not a sprint. Slowly and gently with eyes on the prize!
Take care
X
 
Yes I no @dogwheels it's driving me up the wall, I'm on my own for 12 hours a day now, there's only so much you can chat to a dog about?. I've got square eyes from TV. I sleep for an hour or two half way through the day and then I'm up half the night which doesn't bother me as I've not got much to do in the day. My hi light is my hot bubble bath every morning I just lay in it for half hour great. I put a picture of my knee scar on yesterday 20 days post op have a look I'm over the moon with it, being a bloke the scar thing didn't bother me but I was still happy when I saw it. Speak soon my love. Foxy.x
 
Good morning Foxy,
I think the recovery period must be more difficult mentally for men than for women. I am really lucky to have my retired husband at home to care for me, but even if he wasn't, women tend to have local social group, so again, I might just be very lucky, but I do get 3 or 4 visitors a week and some even take me out (which gives my poor husband a break ). Age is also a factor, obviously you are young and still at work, I retired from teaching last year, and many of my friends are also retired or stay at home mums / housewives.
I am happy sitting in my chair knitting (badly) or sewing, but most blokes activities are outdoors, or in the garage/workshop at least, so another disadvantage. Daytime TV is dire, I tend to look on iPlayer or the other channels sites on the internet and catch up on programmes I missed from the evening schedules.
Hope today holds some interest, as least the sun is shining, we can have a slow walk somewhere without getting soaked.
Take care xx
 
That scar is looking good Foxy! No probs for you on the beach this summer.
I would do a 'you've shown me yours so I'll show you mine' - but the ****??!! compression stockings have made my leg one huge mess of dry flaky skin. Been told not to get oil near the incision yet, but I think the time has come for a little gentle exfoliation and moisturising. Then it will be fit to be seen. I am not precious about the scars but really don't like this flaky mess. Thankfully the scar looks less like a bread knife job and a whole lot neater now, and seems to be really knitting together from the top downwards. The scar has been quite itchy and tight for the last couple of days - which physio says is as a result of healing, and the knee itself although still a bit swollen is becoming more of a normal colour.
Sorry it's dull for you on your own all day. I think Ellejay is right - although my feminist side hates to admit it - women do find it a little easier to be at home indoors than men. If my husband had to put up with this I think he would need sedation - he would be climbing the walls by now and probably overdoing things out of sheer frustration.
Hang in there - summer's coming and you will have the best one in a long time!
X
 
Funny thing, I've had me morning hot bubble bath fresh shirt and shorts got my knee elevated and icing it changed the bed linen so all fresh and I'm feeling a little better now. I've just spoke to my agent ( I'm an actor as well) and he said I've got an interview for a new program for TV called " our war" about the First World War, he has told the casting director about my TKR and that I can't come to the west end at the moment, well the CD has said can I self tape on my ipad and send it in to her, so that should keep me busy for a couple of hours learning lines then taping myself.....?? Speak later dogwheels and ellejay. Foxy.
 
Great - that should keep you out of mischief for a while ....
Don't forget to include your amazing prowess on crutches in your CV! Perhaps you'll be cast as walking wounded?
Have fun and let us know if you get the part.
X
 
Good luck on the WWI thing.
 
Great with the WWI acting job you have lined up. Do they need any x-tras?
The leg lift apparatus is good. In the hospital PT showed me how to get myself in and out of bed by myself with no device by placing the good foot underneath the op foot and scootching back in or back out of bed. O know this is not for everyone. Good luck with the acting career and hope you are really on the mend.
 
Didn't get the job, I think my agents got the hump because I didn't try hard enough!!!.
Any way I went shopping in Epping today then drove over to Enfield to see the blokes I work with had a cuppa and a bacon roll, then come home give the terriers a hair cut, knees aching now so I'm icing it and watching a war film fantastic day hoo rah hoo sar!!!. Foxy.:happydance:
 
Way too go. You answered my question. I wanna get behind the wheel too. Monday for sure. Just wanna pick up milk and orange juice and jello ! Tell me exactly how you prepared and managed to drive. My quad is strong and can tip toe on repaired leg. Plus I weigh 250 pounds. Im not sure how that transfers to stones ???? Obviously I will preceed with extreme caution and take the back roads and certainly when traffic flow is slow. Wow Foxy , that is great. Maybe your half beast too. Being that you dont have PT yet . Gently work your knee bends.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats crucial. my Last 2 inhome PT have been much better than the first couple of ones. Im so proud of you !! Keep it up ,
 
Thanks ICE,
I went out last Saturday for a little drive in my van ( manual) just a couple of miles down to see my horses that was ok. But today I was so bored and my wife was working from home she drives a Landrover discovery ( auto) so a big motor easy to get in and out. I told her I was popping down the road it was easy so I just carried on to see the blokes I work with about 20 miles away, it was great to see them I was standing on a building site with my jeans around my ankles and 5 heavy brick layers all looking at my scar!!!!! Drove home all good as gold no problems at all mate, I'm walking with no aids now up stairs easy down stairs slow but getting there. My knee did swell up a bit this afternoon but I just rested it and iced it. Go for it mate just pop around the block. As long as you can do a emergency stop your all good. Foxy:bicycle1:.
 
Good morning Foxy,
You seem to be doing great, well done.
I copied your bath idea, but I'm not sure I will for the driving, I was given to go ahead to drive at my 6 week check last Monday (how did you manage to get yours before 6 weeks? My OS said my insurance would be invalid until he had checked me out). I still don't feel confident to drive yet anyway, not too sure about an emergency stop, it's a large manual, and I've just had a cortisone injection into my left knee and must rest it for a few days, so no clutch work for me for a while.
 
Just bored, as I said I tried in my manual emergency stop all good, I'm off meds, so I went out in my wife's Landrover auto it was a breeze. Just waiting for a mate to come round for me I'm going out for an hour or so, I fill like a dog waiting to go for a walk!!! . Foxy.:dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom