1 year on the 5th of February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what taking it easy is really, I know my knee is getting me down. It's been very tight for the past couple of days and aching. I went for a walk around my village this morning, only 10 minutes, then into the village pub for cup of tea and a chat. I had a call from my PT dept they said I start on the 4th of March!!!! I can't believe it that will be one month after surgery, so that has upset me as well.

Don't seem to be going forward I'm stuck in one place now. 12 days post op and my house has become a jail house. My knee is very hard to bend, oh I could go on for ages just not been happy sorry but thanks for the concern. Foxy.
 
Foxy.....taking it easy means you need to spend a majority of your day resting and icing and elevating that knee. And, if it's swelling (that's the "tight" you feel), you aching (that's pain), you should be taking something regularly throughout the day and night for pain management - every 4-6 hours so that it's in your system constantly doing its job. You are early in your recovery. Even a 10 minute walk can set off that cycle of pain and swelling in your tender tissues. You need shorter walks (just around the house and maybe out to the street and back twice a day) and gentle bends and stretches for the knee joint's mobility and that's really it.

I know that seems like torture to a person who wants to be up and about. But the more you try to push and be more active (with less pain medication to boot), the more pain and swelling you're going to see. You are not even two weeks out from this major surgery. Please try to be more patient with your body's healing process.
 
Thanks Jamie,
I've never been one that can wait for things always want them yesterday??. It's just so hard to lay around all day. When I'm at work I can't wait for the weekend so I can rest but this is torture. I was hoping my PT would be starting this week but no 4th of march that's 1 month post op!!! I'm not going to bang on sorry. Foxy
 
I don't no what taking it easy is really, no my knee is getting me down it's been very tight for the past couple of days and aching. I went for a walk around my village this morning only 10 minutes, then into the village pub for cup of tea and a chat.
I would say that you really overdid things---as Jamie said,

.taking it easy means you need to spend a majority of your day resting and icing and elevating that knee.

I've never been one that can wait for things always want them yesterday??.
This is a change that many of us had to make---we had to reach deep down inside of us and find the patience that we did not know that we had.

You can make that change---it is only temporary---and your knee will thank you for it. You are still very early in the grand scheme of recovery, and your knee is still reeling form the surgical trauma.

It's just so hard to lay around all day.
Yes, it is---and the lack of independence can challenge you, as well as what we call "Cabin fever." But that being said, you have to let the knee rest, relax, and simply heal. There will be plenty of times to go for those walks around the village, and you will enjoy them so much more.
 
Don't seem to be going forward I'm stuck in one place now. 12 days post op and my house has become a jail house.
Yes---I remember those days well---but it is necessary to let that knee recover and not be overly challenged---by doing too much, too soon.

My knee is very hard to bend,
Yes, it will be, considering what it has recently underwent---and also what you are adding to it by your little jaunts.

Take it easy---cut back on your wanderings, and you will see a little progress.

Remember, this thing called recovery takes longer than we would like it to, and nothing we can do will speed things up---in fact, somethings that we do, such as walking around the village, can actually bring more trauma onto the knee itself.

You will see more bend in your knee if you take it slowly---but even then, gains will be measured in tiny increments.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks referee,
It's just it's my first major surgery and I thought after my progress from the start it would carry on like that fast, but I've found out in the past couple of days I'm back to square one. It's been a bad couple of days my wife went back to work Monday so I'm in the house for 12 hours on my own the walls have started to close in on me. Tomorrow I'll plot up on the sofa in front of the fire and ice/ elevate all day. Thanks for your words Gentlemen it helps.
 
I certainly understand and remember the "cabin fever" feeling---my wife went back to work and, on occasion, somebody would come over for a while, but I was lonely and I also felt the walls shrinking around me, too. It was tough, and I remember how great it was for my wife to drive me around for the first time---and then I was wiped out,and like ylu, my knees decided that enough was enough.

Part of the frustration is not just the physical aspect of recovery---it is the psychological aspect of recovery, too.

Now, for that remark---

Thanks for your words Gentlemen it helps.

Gentlemen?
[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
As the late, great, Groucho Marx said, "I resemble that remark.":snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Foxy.....do you have any friends that can drop by for lunch or just to visit to help you pass the time? Sometimes just seeing people is enough to help make it through long days in recovery.
 
Foxy.....do you have any friends that can drop by for lunch or just to visit to help you pass the time? Sometimes just seeing people is enough to help make it through long days in recovery.
This is an excellent idea. That way you can still have that social time that we all crave.
 
Thing is 99.9% of my friends work and when the weekend comes they are busy with their families. I'm not one for begging! I've had a few people around to see me, but it's still like a hospital visit after 10 minutes we haven't much to talk about. Anyway just woke up and feel better today. It's 6:30am, my plan for today is home PT, small walks around the house, ice and elevate. Take a back seat I'm doing to much to soon and will only delay recovery. Thank you very much for your help. Foxy.
 
Im in the same tiny boat Foxy ! Lonely and bored but it doesnt get too bad. I was prepared for this. You could say in my younger wilder insane days I prepared for confinement. I never thought in my wildest dream it would pay off ! Overall I feel lucky. My son doesnt even know I had my replacement. Hes a chip off the broken block , running the streets, drinking , partying , making children not worrying about who he hurts. It sad cause I could use his help at this time but it probably wouldnt be healthy. So I put my best foot forward and do the best I can in rehab and life.


So are you doing the exercises from the library part of this forum or did you get a packet from your OS. light exercises with rest ice elevation. Where is your pain levels? I had to cut back 2 days ago unfortunately. Meds also gave me scary dreams. I actually was glad to wake up . I had a dream that I was in a violent riot and another I was hanging onto a flying car . Foxy .be patient these next 2 - 3 weeks will fly by than we will just be using a cane as I still use my walker religiously. thats my goal right now is to walk safely without any aids. Alright Foxy im here for you. Take care.
 
Yes very well. A lot more movement without crutches. Still on pain killers, dropped the one that was making me constipated !!!

Good 90* bend lots of stretching, using the cycle machine, good full rotation, slow but good. Up and down stairs unaided. All good really. Still have knee stiffness but I'm only 16 days post op.

Hot bubble bath every morning then do all my PT, rest in the afternoon with my cryo cuff, that's just the best. Feeling when my knee is hot and that ice cold water wraps itself around my knee.

Hope you are doing well my love. Got friends coming around tonight for a curry so I must try and have a sleep this afternoon, don't want to fall asleep at the table !!! God bless, Ronnie fox.
 
Hi Foxy sounds like you're doing great. The cabin fever does get to you but it will pass. Have a great weekend and don't over do it. Terri
 
Yes all good Terri,
How about you? You must be flying along now? Really looking forward to my CURRY tonight. Funny thing is I'm eating more than usual and I've lost 8.5 lbs. Mind, I'm eating lots of fruit and fresh veg and not had a drink for about 4 weeks now!!!.xx
 
Went out for a curry last night, just local. It was great and had a glass of wine. Makes you feel normal! No stick now but find I need to pace myself because my knee tells me when I overdo it!! Take care Terri
 
Very jealous! CURRY! I have lost my appetite. Down 12 pounds. Just woke up and I am hurting but I have a hot date with my ice machine so hopefully that and the pain meds kick in soon...
 
Excellent--let that knee have what it needs for a week or two and you will be a new man. Ice and elevation can cover a multitude of sins.
 
When you take those little walks, ice and elevate afterward. Keeping your leg down too long can be almost as bad as too much activity sometimes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom