1 year on the 5th of February

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take for swelling to go down as I'm up again today. Maybe it's because I've moved from hospital and been up on my feet quite a bit. I've been laying down and it's a stiff so-and-so when I get up. I don't want to force the bend as the stitches have only been in 3 days???? Little help please. Foxy.x
 
How long is a piece of string? Some days it will be swollen a lot, some days not so much. I am four weeks post op today, and my operated knee is only 1 cm bigger than the other one, having rested, iced and elevated just about all day, in preparation for an evening out. On Thursday when I'd walked around the shops for far too long it was 4cms bigger than the 'good' knee. after PT sessions it swells. I even sleep with it elevated and with ice on it, so it doesn't swell much these days.
 
Yep, your knee will tell how to proceed. Rest as much as you can, elevate and ice. We have no control over the healing process and have to be guided by what the knee says.
Good luck.:flwrysmile:
 
Ellejay x
Where in Hertfordshire are you ? We could be neighbours !
:flwrysmile:
 
And I used to live and work in Harlow! Small world, eh?
Ibuprofen 400mg,
Dihydrocodeine 30 mg,
Paracetamol 500mg,
Foxy, why are you only taking ONE paracetamol? Are you taking that more than four times a day or does the dihydrocodeine you use have paracetamol in it.
If so, ignore me but if neither of those two, then you really need to take two.
And have you had the ibuprofen prescribed by a doctor? If so who?
I ask because ibuprofen (and all other NSAIDs) is not a good idea to take after joint replacement.
 
foxmyster1967, Thanks for visiting my pre-op thread about stairs after TKR. I am encouraged about how easy the stairs were for you.
 
And I used to live and work in Harlow! Small world, eh?
Foxy, why are you only taking ONE paracetamol? Are you taking that more than four times a day or does the dihydrocodeine you use have paracetamol in it.
If so, ignore me but if neither of those two, then you really need to take two.
And have you had the ibuprofen prescribed by a doctor? If so who?
I ask because ibuprofen (and all other NSAIDs) is not a good idea to take after joint replacement.
I'll have a look in the morning and let you no as I'm in bed now but thanks for picking up on that, all my meds came from the hospital today.
 
C
Well done Foxy! Welcome to the other side and I know you and your dogs (and your trouble and strife) are glad you are home. What kind of terriers? I love them but my DH (completely in the dark what the rhyming slang would be for husband!) is Not a Terrier Person--doesnt like being outstubborned by a dog, so I have to be content with sheepdog mutts. Much more biddable than terriers and very smart. Dont spare the ice!
cockney slang for husband is "old pot an pan" old man. :rotfl:
 
foxmyster1967, Thanks for visiting my pre-op thread about stairs after TKR. I am encouraged about how easy the stairs were for you.
No worries any think I can help you with please ask as I'm fresh out of hospital today and starting my recovery. Foxy.x
 
I'm resting to day had a nice shower got changed and now back in bed leg was red and swollen this morning but it had a busy day yesterday, I've elevated it and icing all day me thinks. No PT today. Hope this is ok and I'm not being lazy but don't want to put myself backwards.x:sleep:
 
And I used to live and work in Harlow! Small world, eh?
Foxy, why are you only taking ONE paracetamol? Are you taking that more than four times a day or does the dihydrocodeine you use have paracetamol in it.
If so, ignore me but if neither of those two, then you really need to take two.
And have you had the ibuprofen prescribed by a doctor? If so who?
I ask because ibuprofen (and all other NSAIDs) is not a good idea to take after joint replacement.
Right this is what I'm taking;
1x Rivaroxaban 10mg every evening for 11 days. ( I think this is a blood thinner , I had injections in hospital)
1 or 2 Dihydrocodeine 30mg four times a day when necessary for pain relief.
1x Ibuprofen 400mg three times a day when necessary for pain relief.
and 2x Paracetamol 500mg four times a day when necessary for pain relief.
How does that sound about right??
Many thanks for your concern.x
 
Good morning Foxy - (whoops almost good afternoon) - had a Sunday lay in!
If your knee is red and swollen, remember its still really early days. Don't beat yourself up about needing to rest it at this stage - as you need to let healing commence. My knee is still badly swollen even now, but I am persevering and it is slowly but surely responding.
As you are finding, the more you do, the more it swells - sitting in the car is painful too ( I spend most of the 30 min journey to each physio session furiously fiddling with the seat controls) and ........ it swells! Everything seems to make the blessed thing swell.
As everyone here keeps saying, the only way is to: elevate and ice, elevate and ice.
As for the stiffening, best advice I have had is, just a little movement (not necessarily exercises) frequently, to stop the log leg stiffening too much. Just try not to get yourself stuck in one spot for too long.
Hope you have a brill day - its great to be back home isn't it??

BTW - what sort of terriers are your dogs???

ChrisX
 
Good morning Foxy - (whoops almost good afternoon) - had a Sunday lay in!
If your knee is red and swollen, remember its still really early days. Don't beat yourself up about needing to rest it at this stage - as you need to let healing commence. My knee is still badly swollen even now, but I am persevering and it is slowly but surely responding.
As you are finding, the more you do, the more it swells - sitting in the car is painful too ( I spend most of the 30 min journey to each physio session furiously fiddling with the seat controls) and ........ it swells! Everything seems to make the blessed thing swell.
As everyone here keeps saying, the only way is to: elevate and ice, elevate and ice.
As for the stiffening, best advice I have had is, just a little movement (not necessarily exercises) frequently, to stop the log leg stiffening too much. Just try not to get yourself stuck in one spot for too long.
Hope you have a brill day - its great to be back home isn't it??

BTW - what sort of terriers are your dogs???

ChrisX
2x Lakeland terriers
1x patterdale terrier
And 1 yorkie x shitzu..
Yes I'm all goo today having a proper rest and just icing.
 
Hi Foxy - just being a bit nosey ..... I had to look up the terriers as I am no doggy expert, and never heard of those breeds before. What lovely faces!
Be nice to yourself today and rest and ice. The weather here is awful - really windy, and I expect it is not so different out your way, so we are not missing much being indoors. I've got a date with the rugby on TV this afternoon! Take care.

ChrisX
 
Hello Chris yes I'm ok been icing all morning giving it a rest now just watched " the Eagle has landed" terriers locked up down stairs and my wife is up the field with the horses. One of my friends popped in for an hour but I'm ok on me own. Had a little go on the bike that's in my bedroom just a bit of peddle motion can't go all the way over yet but it does get my knee moving a bit. I'm all cozy. Foxy.x
 
Got two good ideas of getting you bad leg in and out of bed pain free. You might know these you might not but helps me.

First one, all you need is a belt from a bath robe. Sling it over the base of foot and pull up on it and you can swing your leg from side to side and lower it to the ground (keeping the leg straight) pain free..

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February


The other one is hooking your good leg under the bad ankle and you can lift it from the floor to the position on the bed you want and again pain free. Foxy.x

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom