1 year on the 5th of February

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from doctors got more pain meds walking around for 20minutes puts things in perspective I'm aching bad now just pottering around the house is one thing but I couldn't wait to get back home. Dr took off the waterproof plaster so we could have a look. Not much to see really but Dr said it looks great. Foxy.x

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
Hi - bet you're glad you are home. Time for a cuppa and a lay down. I've just woken up after a great snooze lying on my front - shame I had to get up.
Wound looks good, and good that you have touched base with the doctor and he's pleased.
I am having the great reveal tomorrow - with all dressings removed. I'll post a pic if it isn't likely to put people off their food!
Take it easy, Foxy
ChrisX
 
It WILL get better. You have to have faith.

Elevate! Elevate! Elevate! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow they took out your staples. Please let them take mine. I go for my appt at noon. Still using crutches but feel like I made strides in pt and pain and swelling. Will let you know how my appt goes later
 
Yeah, the energy drain has surprised me the most. I havent moved in 10 hours . Leg elavated and iced all night and morning .meds doing their job. Not much sleep but I knew about that. Cant prepare for the energy drain. Im not gonna over do it no more like yesterday. Just had to organize the living room alittle. Swelling down after yesterdays ordeal. Keep in touch Fox .
 
Hey Foxy, on my thread someone marvelled that I was doing whatever I had done at a few days out, how could I manage that with the staples still in--I had to tell them all I had that I could see was two or three big stitches--no staples, no glue, no steri-strips. Even so, the leg was instantly more bendable after those stitiches were removed.

No doubt some of your pain is due to the leg waking up and the nerves coming to and saying what the f just happened to us??? That and the weird numbness will go on for a while. We have been having a awful ice storm here and my scar, my lovely tight 3 month old scar, itches and burns and protests like it hasnt since last year. Your knee will keep thinking up ways to structure your time and get your attention. When in doubt ice and elevate!
 
Wiped me out icep mate and brought home the reality of how much of a big op this is. I went to Doctors had a quick walk around a super market had to go back to car, my wife went up the road to pick up my pills I was in a right state proper aching. I've come home and dropped me leg out of bed and it's bent right down aaarrrgggghhhhh mate having a S*** day I'm not moving now.
 
Hi Foxy, just a few things to bear in mind:

1. It can take much, much longer than you imagine so you will need patience
2. Its a roller coaster recovery - some days good. some days terrible
3. elastic support sleeves can help both with the swelling and the support - not too tight though
4. the exercise pedals sold by Amazon etc. are cheap and small and give you a good workout
6. water therapy is so nice and helps with the stiffness

Good luck and btw its OK to cry now and then - when the alpha males aren't looking of course. Carol
 
Thanks carol I'm all good today, plotted up downstairs had some visitors just resting for a few days now no PT just elevation and I've got a cryo cuff on its way within the hour. But thanks for the advice. Not trying to be tuff but I don't need to cry it's not that bad.xx. Foxy
 
You are doing great!!! Hang in there!!! TKR is a challenge, no doubt about it. But well worth the " investment"....

Have a good day!
 
My cryo cuff turned up today bliss it sends ice cold water around my knee !!!
And a pedal thing just 2 pedals on a small a frame no pressure at all .
foxy

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I borrowed the pedal contraption I used from my ancient mother and it was a godsend on days when I wasnt going to PT where the bike was--nothing like it for loosening up the knee when it wanted to be stroppy.
 
2 pedals on a small a frame

You've probably found the tension control screw - its worth adjusting it to suit. Pedaling backwards as well as forwards also helps. Oh and another thing you can use the pedals to help maintain upper body strength. Put the pedals on a table, adjust the tension and rotate them using your hands. You'll end up looking like Adonis before too long :egypdance:
 
Hey Foxy ? How did doctor visit go ? Im sure all is well. You will do just fine. Cant really report too much. I havent done anything in 2 days. Just meds, ice and elevation .and rest. I get up now and than but no shananigans . Lots of ankle pumps. Taking it easy. I found that unsalted crackers help before ive been taking medication. Keep in touch.
 
Yes mate, all good. Went to see Dr, he topped me up with pills and had a look at the knee he was happy. I was only out 30/40 minutes by the time I got home I was whacked, totally smashed, leg aching, knee aching. I've spent all day laying around again. I've been using my cryo cuff, it's heaven and been walking around with no stick but I'm paying for it now.

It's nearly 1am and my knee is playing right up!!! Can't sleep I'm even watching "Murder She Wrote"! My wife had a bottle of wine tonight so she is sleeping like a bear!! Anyway got some of the blokes from work coming around tomorrow to rip the ?? out of me so that's something to look forward too. Foxy.
 
Foxy, you don't need to quote a post every time to reply to it, so please don't do that.
Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing!
 
Also, did you ever read all those articles Jamie left for you in post number 15 of this thread?
In there is this one Progression of activity for TKRs so I'm guessing you never read it before you made your journey to the doctors, eh? :wink:
 
Fox: Are you taking it easy? Remember: It takes approx a year+ to recover from a traumatic surgery such as this one. If you don't take it easy, your knee will remind you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom