1 year on the 5th of February

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the stiffening, best advice I have had is, just a little movement (not necessarily exercises) frequently, to stop the log leg stiffening too much. Just try not to get yourself stuck in one spot for too long.
:iagree:
 
Hey Foxy. its great to hear you are doing well. I knew you would do just fine. Just got to b careful not to overdo it. Arent you way too early for a bike!. Whats the rush? Whats wrong with ankle pumps, heelslides. And cruising the countryside. ! I know it gorgeous there and its mighty gorgeous here in Sonoma County but only cruising ill be doing is to the OS office. I cant wait for tomorrow. My knee sucks. Its hard to bend without pain and im pre op !! I like your leg lifter. I went to my joint class weeks ago and they were selling post op item and they had one to help move the leg in and out of bed. They wanted 14 $ american. I passed on it . Than a few day later while lying on my bed I looked at my robe behind the the door and noticed the belt. I grabbed it and tied it to my foot and lifted my leg in and out of bed. Saved 14 $ . BTW. My girlfriend volunteers at a horse rescue. My knee is so bad I cant even get on or off or feel comfortable on a horse. That will be one of my goals. Well Foxy . You are doing great. Just ice and elevate and relax.
 
Day 5.

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February


[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
Foxy friend! You are a great help to so many, myself included!!!
 
They say " one day at a time" just little things count I'm now lifting my leg from the floor to the bed with out any help, it's slow but I'm doing it YES :yay: ! And I can now lay on my side and bend my knee slightly for a more comfortable sleep. " every little helps":sleep:
 
Here's hoping you continue to feel better and better every day.............
 
I'm 6 days post OP and my knee goes up and down but a good 2.5 incs.
When I wake in the morning it's stiff, I have a little walk around my house to loosen it up, then I elevate and ice up till lunch time when I do a PT session at home on my own and within a hour it's up again! Am I doing to much to soon. I'm worried if I do less it my stiffen right up ? Foxy.
 
Hi @Foxmyster1967 - think this is par for the course. So much swelling and bruising to come out both internally and externally - it will be a bit of a roller coaster and it is early days. Like I said in my previous post to you, I elevate, ice, rest but don't get stuck in one position for too long (although it is unavoidable at night). That might mean putting my legs down and sitting normally for a while, then shifting position and having legs up (and iced); then a circuit of the ground floor taking in the amenities (loo and kitchen) en route; then a little rest; then a few heel slides etc .....
Make sure you get those legs right up when you elevate. I have been doing so and slowly but surely the swelling and bruising is reducing.

Looks like you've measured your knee in its 'fat' state. I did that too, and its a good way to monitor the ups and downs, (although I don't think there is much you can do about it other then ice and elevate ad infinitum).
Don't overdo the exercises - but a bit of movement little and often, makes things a lot more comfortable.

Take care
ChrisX
 
Yes Chris your right I'm expecting to much to soon I'm a Leo!!!. Just little things every day but I want it better yesterday not next month. I'm going to see my Doctor tomorrow so I can have a chat with him about PT when do I start ect..? I'm getting bored that's my problem!!! How you doing.ronnie.
 
Hey Foxy. Yeah the surgery is the easy part. After is a different story. I went to bathroom for a #2 , 20 hours after surgery only to fail. Got back to bed sweating , cold , clammy and exhausted. That is the energy drain we hear so much about. But overall less than 24 hours after ,its what I expected. My pain is throbbing. Nurses very generous with medication. Whole staff very nice. I actually wouldnt mind stay here for a week. We have to be careful and patient. Thats a heck of briuse. When did it start bruising?? I do wanna go home and ice and elevate bonesmart way. Ice isn't even penetrating the bandages and mobilizer. OS said not to worry about elevation yet. Just a pillow under the calf area. I guess the sooner I get home the sooner I can apply the mantras. Alright Foxy im getting very tired . Im on oxycontin and tramadol. Keep up great work.
 
Icep my brother you always manage to make me smile #2 mine was 5 days post OP !!! And then again today day 7. But I'm drinking a lot of home made smoothies fresh fruit and laxative, but with all the meds it happens. I've cut my meds down now by half. I said the same about hospital if the food was any good I would have stayed for a week!! But there's some poor sod that needs the bed. Get in touch when you get home that's when the boredom starts and we can have chats to pass the day and night. Well pleased your all good mate, I fill close to you same age same op same time great.foxy.
 
Foxmyster1967: Dont cut back on the meds too soon! Your need of them will go up and down just like the swelling. We are concerned about you Foxy, even "across the pond" over here. =) We have to all do this together!

One day at a time.....
 
Foxmyster1967: Dont cut back on the meds too soon! Your need of them will go up and down just like the swelling. We are concerned about you Foxy, even "across the pond" over here. =) We have to all do this together!

One day at a time.....
You were right about meds woke up last night my leg was really aching so back on full meds swelling gone down today quite a bit, I'm going to do the same as yesterday elevate and ice, my knee it's self is very tight not very flex able ??? I'm going to see my Dr in the morning so I'll have a chat thanks NuNe4Me. Foxy
 
Hey Foxy. How are you . Are they supplying you with enough medication. Do you feel they might cut you off ? In other words if they are generous , take as directed. If they are stingy , proceed with caution. Add OTC. ( Im no doctor) I already feel way ahead of where I thought I would be. After reading horror stories I fear the worst. However we are 7 and 2 days post respectfully. We have to be patient. Jeez Luiz. Who am I fooling. ? We are alpha males , active healthy and strong and way too competitive to lay around.With that said being home will be the toughest for me. I have 12 weeks to chill. My appetite Is strong and pain under control. So are you using crutches or you already ditched them and using cane? Bruising going down? Well Foxy , just be careful and try not to fall. Talk to you soon
 
Crutches gone day 5 I'm using a walking stick, I've been pottering around the house today with out the stick for short periods but my wife had a moan at me so I'm useing stick again, going to see my local Dr tomorrow to get more meds and ask a few questions, he said he can get me in a local gym with a big discount because of my tkr op. My swelling has gone down lots, knee still very tight and I struggle lifting my leg off the floor in a laying down position !! ( hurts my knee). I only cut my pain meds down as going to the #2 is like having a baby!!! I've only been twice in 7 days, and I'm normally a x2 a day kind of bloke!. I'm drinking lots of fruit smoothies with " lactulose solution" can't stop farting!!!. I never lost my love for food just being careful as I'm not as active. Bruising still there from my ankle to my hip fill like I've had a kicking!. I have to keep telling my self to calm down and take it slow. I'm now addicted to "Kojack" as sky is rerunning the show coochie coo!! Speak soon mate. Foxy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What's happening? Day 8 and I've got really bad muscle ache, the swelling is going down nice but I've got a tooth ache in my leg!!! I'm elevating constantly and icing at least 12 hours a day on and off. I've had 3 keyhole surgeries over the years and never done PT thought just walking and general work would build the muscle back up ( no way) massive muscle wastage, as I'm doing home PT now ( haven't started at hospital yet) it's giving me so much jipp !! Can't get a decent position for sleep! I can lay on my side but still it wakes me up. I thought I was cracking on but the knee comes back and tells you who is BOSS! In a laying position on the floor or bed I haven't got the strength in the leg to lift it off the floor ( PT excercise) it really hurts my knee.

I think I'm going backwards now!!!! Foxy with the hump

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year on the 5th of February
 
I already over did it on day 2, not much pain as im on oxycodone 10 mg oxycodone 5 mg instant relief, tramadol and celebrex. And tylenol. But swelling is up making movement difficult. I had a hell of a time when I got home today. I had to reorganize living room to resemble the hospital room. Pretty much got stuck on the CPM . I was home alone while GF ran errands and pick up my meds. Read my thread ,better details there. Anyways , we got to slow down. Im on the top of the list !!! You are not going backwards. Be good to yourself .and be patient. Talk to you soon
 
Hi Foxy - oh yes, the aching ..... and the night is the worst! Its not so much my knee, rather the back of my thigh and through the left side of my butt. Think it may be the sciatic nerve.
Had a good day yesterday and spent a lot longer on my feet (as it is not so comfy sitting/laying) ..... shower, hairwash, blowdry ..... then I stripped my bed ........ moved some stuff around ...... some washing etc ............ and then truly paid for it all night long. Elevating hurt and ice hurt - not happy.
This morning though, my knee is looking much more normal size-wise and shape-wise. With a bit of logical deduction (a la Sherlock H) I figure that 1.bruising comes out 2 swelling comes down and 3 there is then nothing to 'cushion' the joint ......... therefore achy achy knee.
Had you thought that walking with just a cane may possibly be putting strain on your muscles one side?
And when you try a leg lift, this might help - try and forget about your knee and just really concentrate and on the quad muscles above your knee - look at those and imagine them tightening and lifting your leg - it's always worked well for me.
I know you want to get on, but slowly and surely wins the race. In the waiting room at physio this week a lady asked me how long since my replacement. She then commiserated and said that the first 4 weeks were pretty dire, but after that things got better and better. She was at 2 and half months and could move her leg about, seemingly with no probs at all. Frustrating, but our day will come.
The other thing to remember is that your knee was really painful and acting up before surgery. You went into this with a 'compromised' knee and now it is learning to be 'correct' again.
Sorry about the ramble there, bit of sleep deprivation.
Well brekkie has just arrived along with a heat pack for my back ...... bliss! So hoping to score a few more zzzz's.

Take care and be nice to that knee today! Get the lollipops out and remember 'Who loves ya, baby!'
 
Foxy we all seem to get bad and good days just be kind to yourself and take it easy its not a race, Dogwheels I get the back pain it does feel like sciatica comes and goes not nice but we well get there in the end Have a good day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom