Bilateral THR Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to ask for the narcotic ones. I should have asked for them to wake me last night

Has anyone used alarms on a Fitbit or similar device to help remember their meds? I can set recurring silent alarms on mine. Assuming it wakes me up, that seems like a good way to handle things, especially at night and while in the hospital.
 
@Jaycey right now, going back at the9th week seems impossible! I have great subs though, and if I need more time I think they will help me out.
We are driving home now and it is not fun!
 
Hi again @Zumbamama! You are right. I am very active. I am still teaching 5 classes a week right now and have my own business, a husband, 2 part-time jobs and 2 tween/teen kids. Yesterday, I taught a 5:45am spin class and was busy right through until 9:30pm with my guitar lesson. I've really tried not to slow down much.

I am looking forward to surgery. What you said in your post is exactly the progression I had. I couldn't believe I needed two replacements because I have always worked hard to take care of myself. Just ready to move on. I have been living in pain for about 5 years.

I too have great support. My gym friends are taking me out to dinner next Thursday..at last count, we will be 30+! My parents are flying in to stay for 2 weeks, to help my husband and girls. My mom is a pro a being a helper as she has nursed my dad though both his replacements. And I have other family, friends and church people offering to help in any way they can. So much support that I feel I can't complain at all. I lived in Africa for 10 years and I know, while our healthcare system is far from perfect, that I will be well taken care of.

So happy to be able to chat with you! Best wishes for you to get settled back at your home.

Lauren
 
I am so impressed both hips at once! That is awesome and it sounds like you are well on the way
Those calf massage cuffs are WONDERFUL! Best wishes for a great recovery
 
if I need more time I think they will help me out.
Good! You need to take the time to heal. You will have plenty of energy once all is settled. For now, slow and steady is the key to this recovery. Hope your journey home wasn't too painful. Take those meds and stay ahead of the pain. Remember - ice is your friend!
 
@Zumbamama Welcome to the Bilateral Club :welome: It's wonderful to see that you are on your way home and doing well just a couple of days post op - do listen to all the good advice already given here - slow and steady is the way to go. Since you are a very active person and a dancer you know how to listen to your body!

At 9 weeks post op I was just beginning to feel like getting back to ordinary activities but then I've always been more sedentary :good-bad: You will get back to all of your fun things - but trying to do too much too soon is a sure way to actually slow things down!

The first 6 weeks or so will be awkward but (other than having to sleep on your back) not too difficult.
 
Thanks, everyone for the support! Yesterday was really rough. Standing up and sitting back down were virtually impossible. I am taking 2 oxycodone every 4 hours, which is the max they prescribed, plus 1 Tramadol every 4 hours. It was prescribed as 1-2 every 6-8hrs so I was just spreading it out more evenly. Maybe I need to add Tylenol to the mix. I'm not in very much pain when I'm lying down but when I stand or sit it is terrible! Any advice?
 
@Zumbamama so sorry you are still struggling with getting that pain management cocktail just right. I'm going to tag our forum nurse @Josephine to advise you on using Tylenol. Hang in there!
 
I am taking 2 oxycodone every 4 hours, which is the max they prescribed, plus 1 Tramadol every 4 hours. It was prescribed as 1-2 every 6-8hrs so I was just spreading it out more evenly
1. does the oxycodone have acetaminophen in it?
2. taking 50mg Tramadol over 4 hours is not the same as taking 100mgs every 6 hours

Assuming your oxycodone doesn't have acetaminophen in it, I worked out this schedule for my first knee which was great but didn't work for my second knee! So I had to take 100mg Tramadol + 1,000mgs paracetamol (Tylenol) every 6hrs. I was uncomfortable (to put it mildly!) for the last 1½hrs but it had to be done. The key is though, to stick with the routine even if it means setting an alarm call for the middle of the night dose.

[Bonesmart.org] Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!
 
@Zumbamama

Good luck getting your pain meds just right! The transition home was rough on my body, too. That first car ride wasn't what I would have described as painful, but it certainly was uncomfortable. Then there was a long walk in through the courtyard with people staring at me. I wanted to be in my apartment so badly at that point!

I find that my bed is the most comfortable place for me to sit - it works well for me to keep my leg elevated, too. I tried sitting in my recliner with pillows under me and ended up in additional pain.
 
@Zumbamama Moral of the story! Stay off your hips so they can heal, there is no need to get up or down, your hips are not going to forget how to move, just heal. You just got beat up,sawed on, pulled and dislocated. Enjoy the rest. Please, Please from a fellow Bilareal. The only real reason is the bathroom!!
 
Today was much better! I am following Josephine's med schedule and we are getting into a good routine for getting me up and to the bathroom. My doc recommended I get up once an hour, but I have PT exercises I'm supposed to do 3 times a day, so I count them as one of my "walks". So by the end of the day I had done 3 short walks from the recliner to the front door. All in all, I think things are moving in a positive direction. My left leg is much more tight and painful than the other, I don't know why!
 
I am following Josephine's med schedule and we are getting into a good routine for getting me up and to the bathroom.
Excellent! Keep that routine for now. When you start forgetting to take doses of meds (in a few weeks) that's the sign your body is starting to wean off them.
My left leg is much more tight and painful than the other, I don't know why!
Your surgeon may have had to tug that leg a bit more. Ask him when you have your followup. Literally every THR is different - even on the same person. Ice and elevate. That tightness is swelling which causes pain.
 
I do have LOTS of swelling, which my family thinks is hysterical. My butt looks like a kardashian's! The nurse recommended I wear tight Lyra workout pants to help with that, and of course, that is even a prettier sight! I know there are lots of suggestions on how to get my bowels to work (I'm going on 8 days since I have gone!) I've been taking colace, eating lots of fruits and veggies including prunes, and taking milk of magnesia. Any other ideas?
 
@Zumbamama
You are killing me! :rotfl: Being of Italian descent and bearing the tell tale hip size, I just can't imagine how this Italian mama's hips are going to look like after surgery!!!!! You sound so good!!!!
 
@Zumbamama Another reason why one leg maybe more swollen than the other .... with BTHRs they do one hip first then flip you over and do the second one. So first done is "down" and compressed while the other one is getting new hardware :) Gravity + pressure on just incised flesh does make for more tissue trauma and that = more swelling. Ice, ice, and elevate!!!! I practically wore 2 ice bags for about 2 weeks before swelling went down :) And yes the swelling does appear in some odd places :heehee: this too shall pass. I also found, for me anyway, that walking actually helped get the swelling to decrease. I did "laps" across my main floor - about 25 feet - or 15 shuffle steps with the walker. I'm so glad to hear you got your meds straightened out and you've got the pain under control :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom